The (likely) data wipe after beta

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I haven't been in too many betas, but I know they usually erase progress before the full release. I also haven't been in any closed beta at all; I don't know if anything funny happens between that and an open beta, like a smaller data wipe.

A lot of you folks are experienced here: what have you seen?

I've wondered, in particular, about that gold and pizza economy. Will we be able to buy pizza during beta? (Can we already?) And if so, will we be using it up for good if we use it during beta, or will it be re-credited after release? Again, what have other betas done?

And for that matter, when we get to open beta (and thus people can play to their heart's content), I've wondered if this game's unusual gold prices might change some things. If people, say, got re-credited earned gold after release, the accelerating prices at high (relative) levels would minimize damage from any beta gold glitches. I do like my gold, and I do like the idea of actually earning something during beta that I get to keep. And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

(Thank you, Calvin & Hobbes.)

2. Scyrax

Scyrax Mushroom Warrior

I have yet to participate in a beta test where the servers were not wiped before official release which, while certainly not proof that it never/won't happen, leads me to believe that this will likely be the case.

Also, in other betas, there tends to be mid-beta wipes when there are significant changes that will affect early-game play and the devs want the beta population to look at it again (again, this is far from proof that that will be the case here.)

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

A lot of betas even wipe during different phases to have people restart to check changes et c (just like Scyrax mentions) - I'd be suprised if anything from closed beta makes it to the "open beta", or pay to-play beta or whatever comes after that. Then again, maybe Blue Manchu will be greatful to the early beta testers and offer some sort of of pizza compensation when game opens up to the public - who knows.

4. barbalatte

barbalatte Mushroom Warrior

usually they wipe everyhting and give you back the tokens you bought and spended

5. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

A full wipe before launch is all but guaranteed, though you are occasionally allowed to keep the things you earn in the Open Beta. (Mechwarrior Online)
    If purchasing pizza is implemented before the wipe, you will likely be refunded the equivalent amount based on the new economy/prices. (if they even change them)
    A small reward is usually given to beta players, though the devs are under no such obligation. Usually free skins or exceedingly powerful early game items. (Tera, RaiderZ, The Secret World)

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Thank you, educated folks.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Been in a ton of betas both open and closed and never have i seen a closed beta give you anything except a reward for testing. So basically grinding doesn't earn you anything except the fun you are having so don't waste your time if you are doing it for the long run. Open beta used to have a wipe but in the last few years 85% of open betas i have been in clearly stated there would be no wipe so basically a early release where they retain the right to change things because of bugs without apologizing to you if you are harmed by it.

8. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

This tends to be standard. Don't burn out early Sir Knight

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

We will wipe the database at least once and maybe more than that before launch. Folks here are wise to say that you shouldn't get too attached to your collection.

Once we start selling pizza, we'll track it and make sure you get it again in the release version.

10. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

If you didnt want us getting attached, you SHOULDNT of let us name our characters ! :(

11. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Just so you know, closed betas almost always wipe once before open beta. This usually happens several times though they do try to keep it to a minimum. Open betas will only wipe one time unless something tragic happens, but often times don't wipe at all. Alpha tests you can expect random wipes all the time. Nothing is safe in an alpha and if you are in one the developers expect from you to be attached to nothing and are there solely to make the game better via feedback and bugs. One new mechanic can keep a game out of testing hands for weeks. Thankfully this isn't the case, though they do only have levels up to 18 completed for testing from what I understand.

12. Ryuuji

Ryuuji Orc Soldier

Wait isnt the definition of Alpha test , Developers only ? And beta is common folks that is not hired for testing ?

13. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Alpha is just an extremly limited group. Could be friends, family and/or a select few testers. Betas are usually invite based.

14. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Typically alpha is a stage where the major mechanics of the game are still being put together. The people in an alpha are normally vary limited.