[Items]- Boots

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Jade303, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Questor

Questor Ogre

Wild run gives a lot of advantage if used at the right time, that is why i really like Rhoods and Foolish.

2. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Just an FYI, the OP can't be edited because it hit 1500 characters... sooo... I think I will have to make a new thread and double-post to fit in all the shoe-based goodness.

3. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Men, you sound like women:

4. Ector

Ector Hydra

It's absolutely impossible to make a strict "Top 10" list for the boots, as they are tied to the metagame. Plus, various races need different boots! Dwarves need more movement (EVEN with the Step attacks; you cannot play 3*Vibrant Pain and most attacks are going to be just plain good hard strikes), while Elves need more protection. I will try to make the lists for Dwarven Warriors and Elven Warriors. Humans are going to be somewhere in the middle :)

Dwarf Warriors
    Priority: fast movement (especially mass movement), and card cycling
    Tier 1: Sliding Boots, Rhood's Boots and Wlakwa's Boots. Team Run is fantastic, Sparkling Cloth Armor is unbelievably good, especially if you eqiup long-ranged weapons (just imagine: you move away every time they hit you!) Rushing Aura is short-lived, but +2 move doubles your regular movement! Wild Run is very good for a Dwarf Warrior, as he can reach enemy wizard and quickly dispatch him. Flanking Move is good for a warrior only combined with the other move or step cards, which isn't good. It often allows you to capture the first turn on the next round, though. Plus, if you get encumbered, Flanking Move becomes a dead card, while Wild Run becomes golden. That's why Captain Cedric's Boots aren't Tier 1 for the dwarf warriors. Wlakwa's Boots offer Violent Spin, which is very effective in most situations. You can move away enemy warriors closing the way to their mages, move enemies from the victory area, move them to the lava etc. Plus, it's also a mass move for your team.
    Tier 2: Most other epic and legendary boots with Team Run. Sticky Slippers (note that Tier1 boots can somewhat compensate for the enemy movement effects). Vinorkin's Boots (note how good is Jump Back for the Warriors!) Diamond Mocassins are also very good. If you want to go tokenless, run Xalanen's Boots or Bertha's Big Clogs. Goat Boots have awful Weakened Armor, that isn't easy to get rid of.
    Tier 3: Goat Boots and many many others.
    Tier 4: Any boots with Squeamish, Fright and so on. Don't use them for the warriors!!! Yes, this includes Greenguard Boots as well.

Elven Warriors
    Priority: protection/healing, mass movement, card cycling.
    Tier 1: Vinorkin's Boots are very good for the elves: good mass-move card, Jump Back and a nice piece of armor. Sliding Boots are still Tier 1, as they allow you to survive. Diamond Mocassins are awesome, and you can often launch that Brutal Charge for a lot of damage. Zachary's Boots are Tier1 for the elves, as they need to penetrate opponent's zones of control to reach their targets. If you want tokenless, use Jumpdragger's Boots. Yes, that extra Hard To Pin Down will really matter, and it will be a difference between a victory and a loss. Elves can live with Slowed for a turn or two, and the weak attack is still an attack that can be quite painful with boosts.
    Tier 2: Most other epic/legendary boots with Team Run or Violent Spin. Wlakwa's Boots are Tier2 since Shuffle is just awful for the elves (especially using Elven Maneuvers). If you want to go tokenless, run Xalanen's Boots or Bertha's Big Clogs.
    Tier 3: All cost-effective boots without serious drawbacks.
    Tier4: Same as for the Dwarves + all boots with three non-mass movement cards. Elves don't need that much movement!

Boots for the wizards heavily depend on their tactics. A Firestorm wizard needs as much armor as he can get, for instance, while a long-ranged damaging wizard may enjoy Ulalia's Boots for their boost and protection. Some wizards also use Team Run to augment their teammates, and most will like Jump Back too.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  5. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

6. Ector

Ector Hydra

I also have one pair of Sliding Boots, but they didn't replace Wlakwa's on my dwarven warrior yet. Violent Spin is a very powerful card for a warrior, and dwarves can use any movement, even Shuffle. I may be wrong though - need to test Sliding Boots as well :)

7. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Yeah, maybe it's because I use Savvy Attacker to have Team Run with my dwarves warriors, as I prefer to give them some Inmovable with the boots, so I was thinking more about the wizards :p
    I believe that the only way to give Team Run to a wizard is with boots, so if I had to choose one of these, I would definitely go with Sliding Boots.

8. Sparkling Cloth Armor is so insane for a wizard, especially a stubby one that can normally only run away two spaces. Rather than have to run after a warrior attack, a wizard with this armor can respond with an attack or Short Perplexing Ray (or simply move further away and out of Nimble Strike range). I immediately upgraded to these over Salazar's Sandals for my wizard and haven't looked back. I am tempted to use the wizard robes that are tokenless and have 2x Sparkling Cloth Armor/1x Vulnerable...

9. Ector

Ector Hydra

Looks like the warriors have to use a lot of armor-breaking cards nowadays :(

10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Ector, you have some great discussion points here but I need to remind everyone that this is NOT a ranking system, top 10, tiers, etc. I absolutely do NOT want to see lists of items showing up by order of preference/rarity etc. This is simply a frank discussion of what boots you use and why they work for your character. I would love to hear what people think on the new shoes.

Tochtli Boots: Brutal Charge is surprisingly great in single player (and in Artifact Anarchy!), where my elf priest (and sometimes dwarf wizard) has been murdering things with a 10-damage charge left, right, and center. It might take some planning, but usually I could Dash/Walk into a good position and then charge backwards into an enemy. It might sound ridiculous, but being able to deal 6-10 damage from a Boot/racial skill card is quite useful!

Sliding Boots: SCA is still a useful card, and I find the Flanking Move/Team Run to be really useful on my warrior-support priest. The SCA hasn't shown up much but each time it does, it has been of great benefit. Sadly, Sparkling Cloth Armor seems to be the Resistant Hide of Boots. It's a strong card, but since you only get 1 it doesn't show up as often you would like. I kind of wish you could easily get two Sparkling Cloth Armor on boots, so that you could have more resistance against Firestormers. If anything, the roll on SCA is too high to be of use against Winds of War/Cone of Cold, and it's only mediocre if you get hit by a Frost Jolt.

Healing Dash: I have seen quite a few players using this, although the items varied and I don't quite see the appeal. Someone care to share their opinion?

Armor shredding cards (Shredding Strike/Sundering Strike/Melt Armor) are still rare cards; And although I would love to supplement my warriors with them I personally am sorely lacking these cards.
    Does anyone have a good/rather common Weapon or two that they would like to recommend, and if that weapon is good enough to change the meta, should we change our shoe shopping habits?

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  11. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I have made the change to Thin Sparkling Cloak, and I have to say that it's really worth it for a dwarf wizard, unless you play FS-Vulcano and you really need thoseHover from the Robe Of Lightness, in which case you also could choose Emberfloat Mantle if you want both, but that would mean leaving Resistand Hide aside. But otherwise, I suggest you make the change, having 2 Sparkling Cloth Armor is great for your dwarf wizard. Once I drew the 2 of them with mine, and for every attack he received he moved 3, and then 3 more. Insane!

For a warrior, I only have the Riptide, and it only has 1Sundering Strike. But for a priest, you could put Blackhammer to get 2. I also got one Red Shaman's Blade this week that has 1 Sundering Strike too, and it seems a very good divine weapon for priests.

Ok, back to boots: I got two Boots Of Etzicatl, the legendary better version of Tochtli Boots because it has 3 Brutal Charge, and I have some mixed feelings about them. While, in theory, it may sound great to do 10 damage with your boots, it's very situational and very depending on the map you are playing, and even in the best circumstances, it's a very obvious move that can go wrong because of a lot of factors (the opponent's character had an extra move you didn't know about and moves away, or a wizard uses ww/wwe or puts some kind of difficult terrain between him and your guy, or some other character gets in the middle of the way, etc.). And I'm not counting the times where you are in a crowded space and you really want to draw as many attacks as possible. So, it may be better to stick with the Sticky Slippers that provides you with 2 traits and increase the chances of drawing the step attacks that will be almost always better than drawing these boots. Now that I see, you said that they were good in sp, and I'm talking about mp :p. The truth is that sp is very easy, so they may work well there, but you don't really need them. Do you think they are also good in mp?

About Sliding Boots, it's too bad that my wizard doesn't have a major token available for boots anymore (because I have changed his Staff Of Winter for a Peerwodd Staff), because they are awesome for a wizard for 2 things: SCA, we have said why it's great for them, and Team Run, because a wizard can only get this card from boots. And they get also a Flank Move? Amazing.

Healing Dash: I found this card more useful in wizards and priests, as they don't have too much movement. I use my Xalanen's Boots in one of my priests in Wicked Waterways. I think it's perfect for that map, because I play with Wings Of Faith, so he needs some extra movements, and Healing Dash is a very good one that also lets him heal himself at the time he moves. And the other two armors are great there because of all the FS teams. This boots were designed for Wicked Waterways! Also, the common Boots Of Discretion can be very good for a wizard that doesn't care about the negative Trip, a 3DC or a FS wizard, for example.

12. I have yet to see one, but I did luck into a pair of the rather nice Petochl's Swords from my various league spoils. While I am not sure if I would make room for it in my build, the various tech attacks are very good and the total damage is very high: 53 (the highest total attack weapon in the game tallies up to 60) Shredding and Sundering Attacks eat Toughness for breakfast, and having an attack that can sneak past blocks is tempting. Still, two yellow tokens is tough to find space for.

Anyway, back to boots...

13. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Wow, that weapon is very good. I can see it being used in a 2 war 1 mf priest team, but the lack of step attacks means that you would need a vp or 2 lochabers to compensate if you also want ns.

14. Ector

Ector Hydra

First about armor-melting: your wizard can do that as well, probably even more effective than your warrior. Dissolve Armor works at 10 range, Boiling Armor even discards all armor.

About Brutal Charge. I feel it can be effective in MP only with Flank Move; it heavily depends on the map though. Current maps favor Brutal Charge, since they allow to charge from one victory area to another.

Now the unusual question: did anybody play Red Jon's Boots? Firestorm players will definitely prefer Bertha's Big Clogs, but two Flank Moves may be good for a non-FS wizard, plus a mediocre armor to boot. I can even imagine an elven warrior wearing them, since they need all armor they can get, and really appreciate Flank Move.

15. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Quickness Aura is (in my opinion) strictly better than Rushing Aura, and can be found on a few pairs of boots from the new expansion. All the benefits of the Rushing Aura without the chance to get discarded from being hit, and the Armor 1 is negligible either way so there's no real loss from the armor chance going from 3+ to 6+.

16. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Red Jon's Boots are nice for a wizard or a stab warrior if you can't spend a token in boots. If you can, Narodoc's Boots are much better, obviously.

It is better than Rushing Aura, no doubt about it. The question is if, even though it's better, Quickness Aura is worth it, or if it's most of the times a dead card in your hand.

17. Ector

Ector Hydra

I had the boots at my Randimar's last week and needed an advice whether to buy them. Having no response, I've bought them anyway, and it was right, since this week is absolutely empty for me. Thanks anyway :)

That's the secret: you don't want to keep such weak and unreliable armor for a long time! Thus, both cards are roughly equal: you may lose Rushing Aura too early, but you may have problems discarding Quickness Aura as well.