[GUILD] Sorcererers

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Flaxative, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey Inkfingers!

First of all, feel free to post comments on the videos.
    Second of all, feel free to post the youtube link on the forums with your commentary if you'd like people on the forums to see and comment. None of this stuff is private, and I encourage you to engage with it however you like!

1) I'm actually going back to elves after the update as well (though for me the big game-changer is Superb Mobility, finally an elf racial with 3 cards that replace themselves...!). CT5 just likes giving people **** about their racial choices in this game as I'm sure you know, and as I kept telling him during the video, you guys are probably on roughly the same page. In any event, none of our comments about elves or dwarves were meant to seriously accuse you of anything actually bad and there is no need to defend yourself :) Elven Trickery is going to be amazing.

2) I can't find the comment you're referring to but what you're saying makes sense and it's what I would expect. I think the quick run into hard to pin was probably a little risky—what if HtPD fails? You could have just quick run out of LoS and kept the HtPD for the next turn when you were ready to strike. But yeah your movement was pretty good in general on the first turn and you had a lot of it!

3) The reason I didn't SPR off the bat was that you still had 3 cards in hand, and I don't know your build. You'd just revealed my priest as having no blocks and no armor and if I SPR your walk and a random other card, leaving you with a powerful+ attack, my priest is dead. I think moving him away was correct especially since my wizards had armor. It turned out badly—but using it earlier could have turned out badly too. As for the Cone of Cold, you're right that there was one moment at which I could have used it on both of your warriors, but one of them had a ton of cards in hand and was adjacent to my (very injured) wizard. Pretty sure walking away was a fine move there, Cone of Cold would essentially have been a "nope, I give up on my wizard" play and I was still hoping to save her.

4) LOL yeah.

5) At that point I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made a difference. >_>

6) Copper Old Men so fun!!!!!!!! Big Zap is just too enjoyable somehow. I really liked the build but it wasn't very competitive at high tier. We'll see how the introduction of Fireball in the expansion helps my chances :)

Anyway, discussing all these things is pretty fun, and, as I said, in the future you should feel free to discuss these things publicly if you so desire!!

ParodyKnaveBob and CT5 like this.
  2. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Cool! Great hearing your perspective.

That said, change one dwarf to an elf? pretty please?

okok fine do whatever you want >_>
    I'm just a (dwarf) hater, don't mind me~

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Welcome to our 50th member, @Chibbity!
    Go Sorcererers!

@Jon - thanks for the tip with Camtasia. I just tried recording a match using the free trial of the software, and I'm optimistic about video quality. The big downside is it took 5 minutes to prepare the export, and the exported file is like 1 gigabyte, so uploading it to Youtube is taking forever! We'll see if the payoff is worth it; one definite nice thing about Google Hangouts is that it just makes the video available immediately with basically no bandwidth or time cost on my end. Anyway, I'll post the video once it's live, @Huey Laforet will be the judge :)

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

A full hour after I began the upload, it was about 1/5 done when Camtasia threw an error and told me to restart the upload >_>

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I also have Quicktime and iMovie so I can already record, edit, and upload. It just takes forever and is super cumbersome. Looking for easy solutions to get passable video online ...

7. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

Go Flax! Don't give up!

I just change my 2 human warriors to 2 dwarfs today...:(

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I won't give up! Only another 4 hours at this rate, barring more errors!
    [​IMG]

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I gave up...
    ... on using the built-in YouTube uploader.

I exported the recording to a 180 megabyte file and uploaded it to YouTube manually (which took about 30 minutes on my connection).

@Huey Laforet, @CT5, @Jon, whoever else—how's the video quality? Passable? Seems fine even when I full screen at 720p quality. Not beautiful, but I think it's better than the products of my hangouts.

Audio is crap because I was talking super quietly, and very little, as I explain at the beginning of the video, but I'm pretty sure it'll be workable if I actually try to do audio stuff :)

Huey Laforet likes this.
  10. Huey Laforet

Huey Laforet Orc Soldier

So much better already! So fast and smooth~
    Did you increase the animation speed? I'd prefer it be left at normal.

Aside from that it's perfect!

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

My animation speed is always at 9, would you rather I set it to 6 or 7 for video recording?
    I find it really hard to play with slower animation speed, I just click through them.
    I've probably played too much singleplayer... I get impatient :(

12. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

What format did you export to from Camtasia? We get best results by using the "custom" export format to .wmv and then uploading that. I wouldn't try to export directly from Camtasia to youtube.

Flaxative likes this.
  13. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Looks great.

14. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I'd say set animation to 7 or 8 for recording. I know Jon had it set lower when he did his, but it seemed really slow. People watching videos have the benefit of being able to pause and rewind, so speed 8 should be slow enough.

As you said, the audio is pretty bad. Also there's no 1080p option (not that it matters for a game like this). Not sure if you intended it that way or not.

Otherwise the video seems fine and doesn't have the tabs that pops up with Chrome / Google video stuff, which is a good change.

15. Hawk239128

Hawk239128 Orc Soldier

Just watched the video and that is not what I thought you would sound like lol.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

@Stexe, audio was just due to me not trying to record audio really, and yeah I wasn't recording at 1080p... Don't think I need to. Would make sharing even more onerous.

@Hawk239128, sorry?

@Jon: yay! And thanks for the extra tip, I'll try wmv next.

17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Firestorm, Whirlwind...
    :mad: Who are you, and what have you done with Flaxative!?! :mad:
    Video looks better, though.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This time I tried exporting at a slightly higher quality. I also did a few bits of editing to the video, testing some of Camtasia's effects and such.
    Overall this is pretty annoying compared to just streaming from hangouts but the video quality is much better.
    :(

20. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Wow, I just learned from this video that clicking an empty square shows the line of sight from there... that would have been useful in so many matches lol. I feel such a noob now :p

Edit: wait, how do you do it? I just tried it in the campaign and it didn't work

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014