Tablet Card Hunter

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Card Hunter Joe, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

I'd be interested to hear what people would like to see in a tablet version of Card Hunter.

Flaxative likes this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

1) As many of the same systems preserved as possible, but only so long as they add up to a similar picture. If the interface/technology requires compromises be made that, subtracted from the original CH systems, make the game on the whole less good, then it would obviously be good to depart from the original systems.

2) If it is impossible to make the tablet game interact with the browser game, capitalize on this by establishing a balanced and competitive PvP environment! You can learn from the flaws in the current CH environment and work to avoid replicating them. Some other high-tier players have posted concise and compelling lists of balance issues that may be worth checking, assuming the tablet game is similar enough to the browser game for the comparison to mean anything.

Question, is Ben doing art for the tablet version? Or are you going to have an entirely different set of assets by new art people? Some mix of the two? I know this isn't a suggestion, just curiosity :)

neoncat likes this.
  3. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

A roguelike/gauntlet mode that would emphasize single player replayability without having to do the same modules over and over again.

neoncat likes this.
  4. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I also vote for CardHack. It might even replace UnNetHack on my tablet.

5. At the very least please have your collection from the browser version transfered over!

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Could you clarify whether the question should be interpreted as:
    1) "What would you like to see if CH were tweaked from the ground up?", or
    2) "What would you like to see if CH were to take advantage of a mobile, touch-based platform?"

(Caveat: I don't own any tech more newfangled than a laptop, so I'm not in your customer base... BUT, I do love CH! ^_^)

Also, should probably note from the AMA (before everybody requests it) that there will be NO ACCOUNT LINKING / CROSSOVER between Blue Manchu CH and DropForge CH. :(

Pengw1n likes this.
  7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Noooo, CH isn't CH without the Ben art! (Hey, actually, maybe DropForge will have enough manpower to make those CH miniatures we all want... pretty plzzzzzzzzzz? ≡(@ェ@)≡ <-- sad kitten eyes)

Ben_Lee and Flaxative like this.
  8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I was under the impression the tablet version would be using the same assets, in general - but maybe I was wrong. More of a port with potential additions than a brand new game? Maybe clarifying some of that would help raise the feedback, Joe, just as neoncat brought up.

As for crossovers - while there's no account linking, possibly give previous players some sort of treat via a promotional code tied to their old CH account would be a nice touch.

neoncat likes this.
  9. jday

jday Mushroom Warrior

Decrease the number of items that are classified as legendary, or fix them to actually be legendary (then decrease legendary drop rate a bit). The worst feeling in this game is getting a legendary, then seeing it is useless.

10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Assuming that this tablet edition will be very similar to the current version:
    Keep the simple graphical/animation style. It is light and ideal for mobile devices.
    Need a zoom feature! Trying to use clubbish fingers on even a modest touchscreen is quite difficult for the current finicky grid-based controls. Don't want to push the wrong square/character!!!
    Need ways to prevent accidentally playing the wrong card/ wrong target. Not too many confirmation buttons, something simple.

Assuming that things will change:
    Might be fun to leave the tokens/level system out and just let people pick the weapons/items they need. Should be able to earn specific items by playing the campaign (not just paid* treasure hunts!)

I don't know what the plan is, free app or otherwise. But for IGP, should be slick and not batter people with advertisements trying to get people to buy things. Just not cool.

11. RLennon

RLennon Kobold

Can you please provide a link for iPad for UnNetHack? It could help pass the time until CH for iPad. Thanks!

Rob Lennon

12. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I don't know that there is an iPad version. I think you'd have to get an android emulator.

13. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

If I had access to all the amazing art and design aspects of this game, I'd love to see some type of random cardhack type game.

1) It makes the incredibly large item set more interesting
    2) It gives the amazing creature and boss designs more usage
    3) It gives significantly more longevity to SP

IMO, players love this game's SP experience (nothing against MP, I'm just not the person to speak to it). They simply devour the content so quickly that it leaves them wanting more. There's a thread for people who've beaten all/most of the quests. There's threads for people who replay just for items, not to mention the daily loot fairy thread. And then there's the threads for muave manticore designs. Player's are starving for unique SP content. A randomized dungeon dive, like nethack, would simply deliver on SP content in a unique and appealing way.

ElShafto and Phaselock like this.
  14. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Ditto above. I'm painfully aware of the efforts/manpower/costs required to make good lasting engaging SP content but traditional pen and paper rpgs were a) well known for being difficult and b) engaging enough to carve a place in people's memory even after decades. I hope the tablet and PC version both embody this spirit to the end.

15. Card Hunter Joe

We're going to use Ben's assets. We'll probably add some new stuff too. Creating a great user interface on tablet will be one of main challenges.

16. Card Hunter Joe

For the purposes of clarity, we're going to build an adaptation, rather a brand new game.

17. Genki

Genki Orc Soldier

Hi Joe.

I'm interested in the tablet version. Can I ask if you are planning on making any balance changes?

To me, multiplayer currently takes the backseat to the limited single player campaign when it should be the backbone of the game. Do you agree or is your goal primarily to port the sp experience?

18. Card Hunter Joe

Hi Genki,

It's too early to say because we're in the planning stages. It all depends on what we can get done in the time we have. It's going to be an adaptation rather than a port, which means that we'll keep most of the game but make some changes where it makes most sense. I agree that the current multiplayer offering is quite functional (although the imminent addition of timed tournaments in Attack of the Artifacts will make a big difference IMO). I'd definitely like to add some social features, particularly guilds, but we'll have to figure out if it's doable.

Best

Joe

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Megadestructo likes this.
  19. Genki

Genki Orc Soldier

Thanks for the response,

Best of luck with the development Joe and look forward to checking it out when its done.