[Suggestion] Deck Rating for More interesting PVP battles

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by PaxMaxim, Mar 5, 2014.

1. PaxMaxim

PaxMaxim Kobold

I know there are people out there who love nothing better that to totally smashing their opponent into the dirt. I also know that for the majority, people like a close battle, where the skill of the player is more of a factor to the outcome.

I believe the way opponents are chosen is from a range based on their rating. I feel this is an inaccurate way of creating matches, due to the fact that your rating does not reflect the deck you are using. My brief experience here is that I am outclassed or I out class my opponent, and only 1 out of 5 matches I play is against someone with a deck value closer to mine.

My solution is to create deck ratings in addition to personal rating. The main difference is that the deck rating is used to determine who you will fight. Rating a deck can be as simple as putting a value to a card and add them all up.

I believe this solve two problems. It will provide a more accurate accounting of your battle...give you a better idea of what you are up against. The second would to keep new players from getting discouraged from constantly getting slammed. I feel this solution will provide a better experience for all.

Thanks

2. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

This can also be good to solve the problem of people lowering their ranking on purpose. I am not pro or against this idea but I think that if such a thing would be implemented then the rating should rather be made according to the rarities of the items equiped by the team.

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

PaxMaxim: I edited your topic to clarify what the thread was about, hopefully you won't mind. :)

4. PaxMaxim

PaxMaxim Kobold

Thanks Pengw1n...I'm all for clarity. :)

5. Questor

Questor Ogre

Matchmaking works alright, you only experience the effects of a very small amount of players.

6. PaxMaxim

PaxMaxim Kobold

Questor, If I believed that to be true I wouldn't have started this thread. There have been many times I thought to just stop playing and judging by the comment I see in the lobby, I'm not alone. And the common wisdom is that for every 1 person who speaks up there are at least 2 or 3 that don't, and they just quit. If Card Hunter wants to prosper, I'm thinking a change is needed.

7. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Leagues are on their way. Maybe we can wait for those before changing how MP works.

8. YoYoTheAssyrian

YoYoTheAssyrian Mushroom Warrior

What you're suggesting is a composition score. It's a common inclusion in the tabletop tournament scene, especially in Games Workshop games. I don't think it would be terribly practical in standard multi-player, but in tournaments it could be good way to sidestep item restrictions. Playing a super good style list? To win the tournament you would have to perform better than someone playing something less optimal.