Slippery Shield

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jade303, Mar 3, 2014.

?

Do you use anything besides Slippery Shield in MP?

1. Yes- There are better Major token shield(s) available

13.6%
  2. Yes- I have an epic/legendary I prefer

4.5%
  3. Yes- but only minor token or tokenless. Otherwise only Slippery!

45.5%
  4. No, I don't have enough yet for my party, but would use when I get it

9.1%
  5. No, of course not. Slippery is the best.

27.3%
  6. You are wrong. Slippery is a terrible item.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I would like to take a moment to call out a problem... and it's name is Slippery Shield.
    What's wrong with this item? Nothing, it is simply the best (majortoken) Shield in the game. And it's a Rare item.
    The problem is that this item, like few others, completely kills variety. I mean, the only reason not to use a Slippery Shield if you have the token available, is because you don't have one or you choose to use a different shield for some reason. Maybe you want to use your Shield Of Ultimate Dodging. Maybe you want to try out a Backflip Buckler for a while. But overall players can agree that Slippery Shield is #1.

So Slippery Shield is too good, readily available, and kills the variety of the game. Anyone disagree?

The sad thing is that there are actually many other, more interesting Shields out there. Steel Shield, Sepia Shield, Crescent Shield, Acrobat's Shield, Aegis Of The Defender, Shield Of The Tumbler, Frozen Shield and more... They are all pretty good in their own way. But the fact is that Slippery Shield is pretty much universally better than all of them, and invariably people will end up choosing it. I mean, you should still feel excited about scoring Azan's Icy Bulwark or Shield Of The Tumbler, even if you just use it for larks. But for all of those poor saps out there with Hawlic's Surging Shield, I ... just feel bad for you.

Why? Just Why? Is the border backwards?
    [​IMG]>[​IMG]

I would suggest swapping the entire effect of Surging Shield Block with Hard To Pin Down. Well, the most important part is the part where Slippery Shield says "Block Any. If this card blocks, you Move 3." That part is what makes Hard To Pin Down so amazingly good.

This would make Surging Shield Block a desirable rare card, and Hard to Pin Down the uncommon and lesser variant. That would make Wedge Shield, Oakenheart Shield, Spiked Shield,
    Quick Buckler and a handful of Legendaries into desirable and coveted items.
    Thoughts anyone?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm running Black Cat Buckler on one of my guys, and Streaked Shield on another. I agree with your analysis, but I don't make room for Slippery Shield in every build. It's less critical to have HtPD on my frenzybot, and I'm trying to see what more parries can bring me on one of my frontliners.

3. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

I use Black Cat Buckler, imo meta is full of warriors and the parrys are judt better in those cases. been using also the ice bulwark, because the encumber helps me catch the enemy faster. i use Eeygonnic's Shield when i dont have a token for a shield

4. YoYoTheAssyrian

YoYoTheAssyrian Mushroom Warrior

It's necessary to deal with wizard control, plus your poll is mad biased. Where's the option for I use it because ranged attacks are absolutely devastating? Can't just complain about one card or item without acknowledging the game-play pressures that bring it to the fore.

5. Slippery is the best shield overall in the game, and is inappropriately valued; ala Vibrant Pain. However, there is at least some reason not to use it, depending on the current meta composition. In that regard it differs from VP in that there's at least a justifiable reason why you wouldn't take it sometimes. If you have a VP, and don't put it on your warrior, that's just terrible deck-building. No exceptions.

6. Also, I suggest adding a "Slippery is the best overall, but there are some situations where I prefer using others vs certain comps"

Flaxative likes this.
  7. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

For warriors it's a no-brainer. For my priest, I run tokenless Granwick's to save the major tokens for double Whiteglow Flail killing action.

8. AngryUSAMan

AngryUSAMan Orc Soldier

I only have one Slippery Shield and it goes on my warrior every time. My priest uses either Rusty Buckler or Czint's Buckler depending on whether or not I have a token available to spend on a shield. When I find another one, my priest will always have it equipped. Is it so good that it requires a nerf? I don't think so. I think that instead other cards like Surging Shield Block should receive a buff of some kind so that other options are equally good. Maybe an increase to the number of spaces moved on surging shield block would make it more desirable in some cases. Maybe all the shields with 2 really good cards and one garbage card should be changed to have 3 good cards or 2 good cards and a trait.

9. Ector

Ector Hydra

Please stop this! I have three Slippery Shields, and I'm happy with them :)