Card Hunter Elimination Tournament #1 - Sign Up and Win Pizza!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Scared Little Girl, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Wow, killerdestroyer taking 4 spots!

Flaxative likes this.
  2. The random aspect is the whole point of that map. The point is that you get put in random situations, against random opponents, and you need to find the best way to survive. The challenge is to build a team of characters that will survive in any of the 4 maps against any possible opponent.

Also I'd like to clarify that positions are not totally random. Each team has 4 spawn points, one in each room, where characters appear. If the starting positions were totally random, or if the distance to vp squares would differ, then I would understand the issue.

EDIT: Updated. 27/32.

3. Stexe

I still don't think that is healthy for a tournament situation. That boils down to making a team of 3 people who are all the same and can stand alone -- otherwise you're risking losing. Even then it is still overly random. But whatever, I'm not super invested in the tournament since I haven't practiced or made more than 1 or 2 builds. Going forward though I don't think that is really a good idea as it limits successful team compositions to only a few unless you want to rely on lucky placement.

Reducing variance should be the most important thing in a competitive tournament setting that tries to differentiate skill over luck.

4. Limiting successful team compositions is a good thing because it requires deckbuilding skills. If a person was able to just take their regular MP build to each map and win the whole thing, I would be slightly disappointed. I think that for the next tournament we should build even more crazy and biased maps, so that players would have to find the best team composition for each (or lose).

This is not really supposed to be a serious, chess-like tournament where the amount of luck is minimized. The main focus is fun and using maps that nobody has seen before. While the rooms in round 2 map differ slightly (especially the icy room) it would be silly to say that you win by pure luck in there. Differences are minor, and most importantly, the affect both players.

5. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

IGN: CT5

goooooo sorcererers

6. Starcryst

Starcryst Kobold

I'll play if there's still space.

7. Starcryst

Starcryst Kobold

IGN - Starcryst

8. Updated. 29/32.

9. codefive

codefive Kobold

ING: Codefive

10. DeathFace

DeathFace Kobold

Im signing up
    IGN: DeathFace

11. Stexe

That might be the case if you were playing a large number of rounds, where the law of large numbers would take over and skill would shine over randomness. However, in a small number of results I'd say it is best to keep things symmetrical as possible. I wouldn't mind weird maps -- things like Gladius Wall and such are fairly weird -- just having random spawning spots is way overly random and not healthy from a game design perspective.

12. KarbonKhan

KarbonKhan Mushroom Warrior

KarbonKhan - Eren 6:0

13. Checkers

Checkers Kobold

Checkers win vs. PilgrimBailey
    5-4

14. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

neoncat win vs. Flaxative
    6-0

15. ElShafto