Card Hunter Wiki - Cardhuntria

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Farbs, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

Thanks Jarmo. Fixed.

2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Sorry, but now there's an even smaller error in the data of the same adventure. The Level Range 7-8 in the wiki does not match that of the picture on the front page of the adventure (6-7). I see you fixed it the way I tried to, changing the level attribute on the Adventurepage template. Unfortunately, it has this side effect. That's why I assumed there's another way of fixing it, possibly non-accessible to me. Is there and is it? I guess only Phaselock knows.

3. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

Hmm... The 'front page' image of the adventure is a screen shot from within the game. I went into the game to take a new screen shot, but it's still showing "6-7". I'm not sure if they just haven't updated the image or if the level '7' indicator on the map is wrong.

I'm going to go ahead and change the adventure back to levels '6-7', assuming that either:
    a) This is just the one weird instance were the map shows the higher level of the adventure's range (7) rather than than usual lower (6) OR
    b) The map is wrong

Feel free to notify the devs that there is a discrepancy. If they change it so that the image matches the map I'll be glad to change the wiki to match.

4. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Well, we know the adventure is level 7 as that's what the power token allowance for the adventure is like. The map is correct. The adventure range seems to be anomalous (I haven't checked if this is the only instance) but surely the wiki should document reality and not dictate it? If the wiki template used cannot portray reality, shouldn't it be changed and not the adventure? The devs are not beholden to follow a strict logic in the ranges, seems to me.

Isn't the range a dev recommendation to the player instead of some program-enforced limit, anyway? As far as I know, it has no game functionality. If they feel 6-7 is the range for this adventure, well, that's their prerogative.

5. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

I hadn't considered token allowance as an easy way to test what the real adventure level is. You're correct that it is level 7.

This is the only adventure in which the map level doesn't match the bottom level of the range. Debating how to proceed.

6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

It seems to me that the Monsters entry for Festering Zombie has a very different face picture than the one seen in-game (a zombie with long hair vs. a bald, bloated mutant). Also, isn't its default move Shuffle and not Walk?

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for the Festering fixes, Phaselock!

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Yes, both of those were changes that Blue Manchu made during development. I hope they use the removed zombie graphic for something in the future.

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Well, couldn't we have for example an option on the Adventurepage template for the map level/level range relationship (top/bottom) or a second Adventurepage template for the kind of adventure "Beneath the Frozen Earth" is? There might be more adventures in the future where the map level matches the top level of the range.

Surely implementation details of the wiki should not stand in the way of presenting accurate information? Probably you've already been through all this way before me and it's just a matter of resource availability.

10. Hi, to whoever manages the awesome cardhunter wiki page, great job first of all. Next, I was wondering if it would be possible to add an "advance to the next item" button. For example, when I pull up the legendary item category and select an item from the list, it would be fantastic to be able to quickly advance to the next listed legendary item, or the previous, without having to manually go back and select. Would this be possible?

Jayce and Phaselock like this.
  11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Yes, great idea ! I'll put on to-do. There's backend stuff being done atm but we'll get round to it. Thanks for the continued support ! :)

Jayce and Pilgrim Bailey like this.
  12. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

I've been busy and somewhat dropped the ball on this one =D

Build 1.61 (I think).

Items with status: Added (1)

Divine Item (1)
    Flax's Thirsty Vial

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

This was never resolved. The wiki still presents erroneous information. Also, "Beneath the Frozen Earth" is not the only adventure in which the map level doesn't match the bottom level of the range. I started to go through the adventures and the wiki and soon found out that e.g. "Caverns of the Troglodytes", "Highway Robbery" and "Lair of the Trog Wizard" are such adventures. "Caverns of the Troglodytes" is even more complicated in that its stated level range is "1-4" and not a range of two consequtive digits. I stopped checking there as so many exceptions were already found.

The current way of tying the presented level range and adventure level category to the single editable parameter "level" in the template is unfortunately unworkable. There needs to be separate parameters for adventure level (as shown on the map) and level range top and bottom values, three parameters instead of one.

Also, an adventure can be unlocked by several other adventures. Currently only one adventure can be entered as the value of "unlocked_by". This needs to be changed to a similar system as the "unlocks1", "unlocks2" etc. parameters. The issue is further complicated by the fact that an adventure can require the completion of several other adventures before it is unlocked. So there are both OR and AND relationships between the prerequisite adventures of an adventure (as can be seen from http://live.cardhunter.com/data/gameplay/Adventures/Adventures.csv, the "Prerequisite Flags" and "Completion Flags" columns) . To produce accurate documentation the template needs to provide a mechanism for handling these.

Is there code somewhere handling the translation of the page templates into the presented pages? If no one has time to rewrite the code I can take a shot at it myself given the necessary permissions. Is this all Phaselock custom code or is it MediaWiki's? Can it be edited by us?

I'm not trying to criticise the considerable effort already spent on the wiki by bringing this up. It's just a new feature request that has emerged. The wiki would be more useful if this was implemented.

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Or we could ignore what was written on the module cover several years ago and just use the value given in the Adventures table (which is shown on the world map). Level cap is always +2 and reduced level quests are always -8.

Yeah, this is going to be complicated. The actual flag names can be rather confusing ("TUTSHWAD"), maybe have two OR lists of modules that we AND together? (Tree Forts technically has 3 requirements, but one is two are redundant.)

15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The level range on the adventure covers is a designer recommendation and not based on any parameter or formula. If we want to document it we need two editable wiki page template parameters for it. The third one is needed for the map-shown level. The adventure wiki pages don't use a database as far as I know, they have been created by hand, by Lusus121 mostly(?)

16. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Hi ! Thanks for the feedback, we are aware of the issues of inconsistencies and already have a solution. Fyi:

a) remove the level range entry, module screenshot remains, adv is categorized strictly by the number seen on the world map. This resolves confusion, especially to newbies. Players are free to play the adv and not be overly concerned about level caps.
    b) modify adventure unlock data, likely to incorporate prerequisite unlocks.

I'm waiting for new advs in the forthcoming expansion to ensure the above solution still holds, hence the delay. Apologies for the long wait... :(

I'm currently considering another solution instead of injecting extra navigation in individual item pages. Leaning towards a dedicated page solely for item comparisons implemented with dropdown filters, maybe up to 5 items per page or so ? Would it be a better alternative ?

Jayce and Jarmo like this.
  17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, thanks Phaselock! Sounds like the adventure template things are well in hand.

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The item and card templates need to add a "Set" field (Basic, Halloween, Christmas, Attack of the Artifacts). Also, I know you like to wait until new content is live before updating the wiki, but I'd really love it if you added the AotA stuff now. I know the stats aren't final, but it's really hard to discuss items and cards when you can't link to them.

Jayce and Flaxative like this.
  19. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

There's nothing really stopping me from firing the wiki updater up and hitting those items, we'd previously decided against it for a number of reasons which aren't really as relevant any more. I'll poke Phaselock to see if there's any good reason to not update the Wiki yet that I've completely overlooked/missed, if there isn't, I'll do it at the earliest opportunity =D

Sir Veza, Scarponi and Flaxative like this.
  20. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Just wanna chime in and say that the wiki isn't forgotten. Our scripts and templates are tagged to csv files and changes there propagate throughout. While on the surface, inserting new data isn't a big deal...there is still a fair amount of work and verification required (cards/items/monsters/advs/search etc). Rest assured that expansion data once firmed will be available PRIOR to the build going live.