Insightful Elves

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Scared Little Girl, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Ever since I started playing Card Hunter, I have always hated elves. I think they are the weakest class because of their low HP. I'm also not a big fan of elves in general, with their pointy ears and annoying presence in every single RPG out there. For these reasons I wanted to try out the class, and hopefully come up with something that works.

I've been playing with elves a while now. I started with a team of 3 high hitting elf priest which was fun for a while but way too inconstant. I then tried a team of 3 elf warriors with Arrogant Armors etc. That was a bit better but still were easy to beat. Finally I decided to just go with the highly original 2 warriors 1 priest setup that I like to call...

Insightful Elves

Elven Warrior
    Level 1 Elf Warrior

1 x Team Run
    1 x Slicer
    2 x Immovable
    1 x Walk
    1 x Impaler
    1 x Icy Block
    1 x Wild Run
    1 x Slippery
    1 x Hardy Mail
    1 x Wimpy
    3 x Weak Chop

Elven Warrior
    Level 1 Elf Warrior

1 x Team Run
    1 x Slicer
    2 x Immovable
    1 x Walk
    1 x Impaler
    1 x Icy Block
    1 x Wild Run
    1 x Slippery
    1 x Hardy Mail
    1 x Wimpy
    3 x Weak Chop

Elven Priest
    Level 1 Elf Priest

1 x Walk
    3 x Vulnerable
    1 x Team Run
    1 x Slippery
    3 x Icy Block
    2 x Purge
    2 x Stab
    2 x Fiery Stab

First of all, this is not an awesome build that will take you to top-10. You have been warned. However it can be fun to play, and it will definitely take you to top-100. I'm playing this right now and I hover somewhere close to 1550 rating.

Basic idea
    Basic idea with this build is to combine Elvish Insight and Devastating Blow. It's an old idea that was probably first discovered in pre-pre-alpha in 1998. First you use Elvish Insight to reveal all the cards, then you deal tons of damage with Devastating Blow. Vicious Thrust is an important card too because it helps you get close to your target.

Warriors
    I was told in chat (ironically after I had won a battle) that "anything is better than Sharp Spetum". It is true that Sharp Spetum is not the most awesome item in the game, and it has a steep cost, but it's pretty good for this particular build. If you have Vibrant Pain, use that combined with Club Of Devastation.

Nifty Halberd has a bunch of really weak attacks that will lead to bad draws but I had to take it because it's tokenless and has Nimble Strikes.

Spiked Platemail is what I use as armor. There are many other options to choose from so go nuts.

For shield I recommend Snitrick's Shield or Icicle Shield. Ice Block is great for snaring those enemy wizards.

Weakling's Helm is a pretty good tokenless helmet that has a trait as a bonus.

I took Sticky Slippers because I wanted more traits, and because Wild Run lets you make those surprising moves. Other good options are those all those boots with Team Run.

Escapist is what makes this build work. You could replace this with Insight if you want more Elvish Insight. Slippery is pretty good though, so you might not want to do that.

Savvy Attacker is the best martial skill imo. But if you want more damage and less movement, there's always Powered Slicing etc.

Priest
    This is more or less the standard Mass Frenzy spamming priest I always use as a support unit for warriors. I've noticed that having about 5 Mass Frenzies is optimal. If you have more, you'll probably draw too much. If you have less, you probably won't draw enough.

Glinting Eye Hammer is one of the best priest weapons. I always take one of these.

St. Olf's Fiery Pike is a good item for this build because it has a couple of Mass Frenzy and also some pretty good 2-range damage cards.

I took Mail Of The Martyr because Martyr Blessing helps keeps the warriors alive.

Azan's Icy Bulwark is great alternative for Slippery Shield (if you have it).

Captain Cedric's Boots has Team Run. Enough said. It also has Flanking Move which has good synergy with your 2-range stabs.

Shuddering Relic is the best Mass Frenzy item in the game. It's tokenless, and has two great cards. The last card in a trait that is you barely notice.

Priest has Escapist just like the warriors.

Trained Cleansing is a good tokenless item for a damage dealing priest.

Strategy tips
    Um.. I think this build is pretty self-explanatory. I'll add some tips if I can come up with any :)

Closing words
    That's it. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. I haven't tested this version of the build that much and I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement. Thanks.

ParodyKnaveBob and PaladinGP like this.
  2. I think you can improve the build a lot by using a token on shields and not armor/boots. Rusty Buckler or something turns two dead draws into pretty good draws. Goat Boots are almost as good as sticky slippers and do not cost a token. Eh before I type to much here is how I would build the warriors with only rare items.

Maeerdhroscir
    Level 1 Elf Warrior

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Nice! A nonpeasant cousin to my Dirty Blow Elves. I look forward to seeing these elves take points from Power of Fires scrubs. 8)

4. Thanks for the feedback.

Problem with Rusty Buckler is that it's useless against wizards. I have considered Parry but I seriously dislike situational cards and try to avoid them at all cost. I have also considered adding something with Dodge since it's awesome in the current map rotation, but of course it doesn't have the card drawing effect you mentioned. I might test this Parry thing and see how it goes, after all there are lots of melee damage out there.

About Goat Boots.. I don't know. I think that second Immovable is much much better than Weakened Armor, and I also thing that Wild Run is much better. But yeah, if I had to free some tokens, Goat Boots would probably be a good choice.

That warrior build you posted.. the fact that you lowered the number of Devastating Blows from 6 to 3 is a deal breaker for me. What you posted might perform better, but I want to stick to the original point of the build as much as possible, even if it means a bit more losses.

Dependable Mail is great and definitely something I would take, and what I always take, if I have to take tokenless armor. I'm kind of considering replacing Nifty Halberd with Lochaber Axe, which would mean having to take Dependable Mail and maybe that Goat Boots you suggested or something, I don't know. Problem is that I only have 1 Lochaber Axe and I seriously dislike asymmetrical warriors :)

Crusty Helm vs. Weakling's Helm is an interesting choice. I haven't had a huge problem with that 1 less damage, but Weakling's Helm could be better, especially since you don't have an extra trait to push off that Slippery. I'll try it out.

Thanks again.

Dirty Blow Elves.. that sounds.. dirty. :)

I've beaten a couple of Power of Fires guys today with this build. And to help your guild even more, I just lost to one of your guys 0-6. :)

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Qui11

Qui11 Kobold

I remember a whole lotta Mighty Bludgeons when you were running 3 elven priestesses awhile back. I wondered if you weren't using six Glinting Eye Hammers.

If you luck into one of the tokened Bleneth's for your frenzy, a couple Shielding Tokens would add some strategic options. Admittedly at the expense of deck size and gimping other spots.

6. Yep, I had 6 Glinting Eye Hammers and 2 x Quick Run and some vampiric stuff. It was fun when everything clicked together and you were able to run around the map, one-shotting people. Unfortunately it very often failed.

I have two Bleneth's Skulls that I don't think I have every used. I think the major token cost is too high when I can get the same amount of Mass Frenzies with minor tokens as well. Then again since I've been lucky enough to loot two of those items, I might as well try to make them work somehow. Maybe it would be better than I think.

Shielding Token is something I have also considered and I'll probably test it at some point, although I usually try to maximize damage, and Nimbus etc. will only slow me down.

7. ReesJ

ReesJ Kobold

I was on holiday for 2 weeks :) Nice build . I was going to make one just like this :). Posted somewhere when having elf warriors also that need few more items to try this out . #hope it works great.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader