Games to play while waiting for this one to come out (or for the beta if you are lucky enough)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrMojoRisin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cainiao

cainiao Kobold

Dwarf fortress + Unreal World

2. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

Despite it's repetitiveness, Crimson Shroud has proven to be a very endearing RPG with a couple of interesting mechanics.
    The fact that it's a homage to tabletop games of old is really just a bonus.
    Only on the 3DS though, so yeah.

3. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

If you are looking for a good (and entirely free) card game, i can recommend elements. It takes time to get good cards, but at least its not pay to win.

4. Ezekremiah

Ezekremiah Kobold

When taking a break from playing Planetside 2, and after buying it many years ago via Steam, I finally got round to starting The Witcher (yes, the first one - I bought the second in another later Steam sale and haven't even launched it yet), over the weekend.

Very impressed, so far, although I'd imagine the second looks even more polished......when I finally get round to finishing this first one!

5. barbalatte

barbalatte Mushroom Warrior

shogi = japanese chess. try it at 81dojo.com

6. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Currently playing some Tales of Maj'Eyal. A free roguelike(though I've donated €10 to it).

7. dudy80

dudy80 Kobold

Picked up a ton of stuff on steam over the sale and added to my already massive backlog. FTL is amazing, so is Hotline Miami, also been trying to learn Anno 2070.

8. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

http://kingsandlegends.com

It's a TCG (instant access beta)

Come join my guild "Card Hunter"

:)

When Card Hunter goes live, i will jump straight back to that

edit: So far 2 from forum has joined the guild. It's gonna be amazing, we shall upgrade the Guild Hall and become rich! Also i am a bit drunk right now, so i better stop typing.

9. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

10. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

The warframes look silly. Specifically the helmet.
    And well, I got Far Cry 2 during the steam sale, for when I feel like some shooting.

Warframe looks more like a mix of crysis and prototype though (or possibly KOTOR).

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

kings and legends seam like a fun game going to play it for a few hours to make up my mind but I'm worried about buy to win in it so far so good and single player campaign will keep me entertained regardless

12. Deadjack

Deadjack Kobold

kings and legends is good but there is some pack you can only buy if you have buy a certain amount of there currency before and seem to lead to pay2win, still it doesnt affect to much the game at lower lvl.

13. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Go to guild hall, and search for: Card Hunter

unless you are one of those that has already joined :)

14. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

I completely agree, after a certain point the game turns into complete pay2win. The cards that can only be obtained through spending real money are far superior to the ones available with ingame currency. But in the early levels its really fun.

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

I'm guessing there is no option to limit a MP game to just the free stuff?

16. Gabe

Gabe Kobold

Nope unfortunately there isn't. The better your ranking, the more likely you will be matched against players who paid a lot for better cards. On a side note, there are ways to get all cards for free, but it would probably require years of farming just to match the cards someone can buy for 50 bucks

17. Zeetoois

Zeetoois Mushroom Warrior

PoxNora (find it at http://poxnora.station.sony.com/and enjoy!) is an excellent game. I won't lie, it's got a HUGE learning curve, but once you get into it and get the ball rolling, it's phenomenal. Hit me up any time if you want help. I might even send some extra runes your way if I like you. ;) (IGN: Zeetoois, same as here)

Details:
    It's a CCG. The cards are called "runes." The goal is to destroy the opposing player's shrine before that player destroys yours. There are eight different "factions," each one with its own flavor (4 good--Protectorate--and four evil--Wrath). Whether you like forest creatures and elves, demons and hellspawn, dwarves and constructs, or dragons and mutated animals, there's a faction for you.
    There's some solid lore and backstory if you're into that sort of thing, although it takes some hunting down on the site.
    It's F2P, but it's definitely got a paying aspect. You play games to get gold, which can get you runes. It's slow and tedious, but worth it, especially if you can find someone to help you get started (guilds are great for this sort of thing). Also, you can trade runes for tickets, which can be used to draft new runes. It's pretty slick, honestly, and once you get going with tickets, you can draft and get stuff from every new expansion when it comes out. :)
    There are multiple options for play: 1v1 (pvp), which is the "standard" and dates back to day one of the game. Since then, they've released single player (very fun and helpful for learning) and 2v2 (mostly gimmicky, but fun if you get into it and enjoy team play!).

18. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

Is it pay2win? From my experience I've learned there aren't many games made fair with the 'free' route. The only one I know of is League of Legends tbh..

19. Zeetoois

Zeetoois Mushroom Warrior

I wouldn't say pay2win. Putting money into it simply makes getting runes easier. Some runes can only be gotten though real money, but all runes are tradeable--anything rare and below is fairly easy to come by. It's the legendary and exotic runes that can be hard to get--but even so, some of the best runes in the game are available for free. In short, putting money in makes the game easier to get into, but I certainly wouldn't say it's pay2win. Rarity =/= power. :)

20. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before, but I just "re"discovered Thunderstone on Facebook. If you like deckbuilding games and dungeon crawling, this is one game that combines them both in awesome fashion. It makes Angry Bale Face slightly less angry...