Let's Run Tournaments!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Stexe, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Farbs likes this.
  2. Stexe

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a highly automated tournament held on the test server where anything is allowed. Maybe Blue Manchu could provide accounts that contain every item in the game or whatever. Just wanted something different from the restricted format of Peasant and to see what people come up with.

Not sure on the organization of said thin, but probably a large scale thing (32 players) that must be regulars and are willing to self organize with their opponent through inbox. Matches would be reported simply by having screenshots at the start and end of battle.

Any thoughts on that or any other tournaments you're interested in that are different from the one we already had?

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

One problem with tournaments on the test server (especially if we get every item), is having people make multiple accounts and play themselves.

4. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

I wouldn't be up for anything on the test server that involved spending time opening multiple chests. If it involved 5 minutes worth of opening for a sealed deck type event though, that'd be OK.

5. Just a heads up.. I have started organizing a 32-player single-elimination tournament that will most likely happen in 2-3 weeks. Here is a topic about custom made maps for that tournament. I will start the main tournament topic, with rules discussions etc., later this week.

I think the main challenge with any kind of test server tournament is that it's not "real", and you have to make a new account for it. I'm guessing It could be difficult to get the masses interested in something that happens only on test server. But for a smaller, hard-core crowd, it could work.

6. Stexe

As opposed to players theoretically doing that now?

Yeah, that could be problematic. I'd like to see if Blue Manchu could make "God" accounts that have every item in the game or something. Would be curious to see how matches like that would go and what people would build and such.

7. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Yeah, there is nothing stopping someone with no life and a dozen computers from inserting themselves into a tournament more than once... but I don't see a point to doing that. I don't see it as a problem. I also fail to see anything that can be done about it either.

8. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Now for the hard-core players...
    THE LORDS EPIC TOURNAMENT

The battles will take place on the test server. I don't think that it was ever intended to be a private battleground for the uber-virtually-wealthy, but I believe this is the best - and only - place to go.

Each player in the tournament buys a large, set amount of pizza to purchase as many Epic (150) and Magnificent (30)chests as they like, along with purchasing a starter party (50) or two.
    I would suggest a minimum 3100** pizza, so if you buy 20 epic chests, you will have 40 Epic or better items, along with 60 other items to choose from. Players can only use items bought with that pizza.
    **Actually, 3800/ 48 / 72 would make more sense since 3800 is a fixed amount you can buy...**

I would hold this tournament right after the test server is reset. The format would be similar to the Peasant tournament, but with some small improvements.

This kind of tournament would be almost entirely for fun; it's a chance to go wild and put your luck and deck-building skills to the test with some crazy new items. Since the server (and your items!) are continually reset, no two tournaments or players will ever be the same.

There is nothing stopping me and 7-15 other people(With Paypal!) from setting match times, logging on, sandboxing 3800 pizza, and going at it right now. However, I just want to get the word out first and convince as many people as possible to support this new game format.

The prize for this tournament? All the glory and pizza you can handle! Well, mostly glory.
    I am looking for someone to help me run this tournament; I would also like to see someone record the matches and provide some juicy commentary!

9. Stexe

Who knows when the test server would be reset though. I think you could just have a special word you need to have in your account name, that way people would register it just for the tournament. Granted, there is no control from stopping someone from spending a billion pizza though... so I think something needs to be instituted as a control by Blue Manchu for it to work. Unless you're talking about a very small group of trustworthy people.

10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Once again, if someone feels the need to spend a million pizza (or a million dollars, for that matter) or do anything else to give them an advantage (EG having a friend help them play/do research on their opponent's deck/items) they can go right on ahead. There is practically no way to stop them, and if their ego compels them to cheat, fine. This is just for fun after all!

Also, the intention here is just to run the tournament so that the test server doesn't reset and people don't lose all of their items before it finishes, not to give people a time limit to open chests.

11. One thing I have been wanting to try is a (sort of) draft tournament on the testserver. Basically you play with a new account until the MP shops open up, then you buy every item in them with gold bought with pizza and then you try to create the best deck possible out of them and play vs other drafters in a tournament structure. No other items should be added to that team.

Scared Little Girl likes this.
  12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Quick question...

Doesn't moving more MP play over to the test server function as a method to further split the MP community, and thereby reduce the number of players involved in MP on the live server?

13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Also, do you have to play through the campaign to unlock all of the shops? Can't you access the shops through the Multiplayer? I am guessing "no" but still...
    @Oberon, the goal is to run an Epic Tournament which *might* max out the test server (I believe it is set to 20 people max?) , the hope is to get people to play a game that they normally wouldn't be able to. I don't believe that running tournaments would "Further Split the MP community (What does that mean exactly?) and even if you get 20 people to leave the live server.... I just don't see how that is hurting the community. We are still playing card hunter. It's not like there is some sort of 'elitism' between those that have a test account and those that don't. I think this has some exciting new potential.

Random: I have been able to play on the test and game server simultaneously...

14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The shops unlock when you visit Keep on the Hinterlands for the first time (after completing White Skull Canyon and recruiting a priest). You can then access all of the shops in Multiplayer mode but only The Armory and Randimar's Rarities in Campaign mode.

15. Is there a reason why all these suggestions happen on the test server? Also, wouldn't it be really easy to cheat there? I mean nobody besides myself knows if I spent 3000 pizza or a million pizza on my items.

I think that using the test server, and maybe having to open a thousand chests before the tournament even starts, will alienate 98% of potential tournament participants. I would focus on more simple tournaments that the casual gamers could join too.

16. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

At present, the only way to draft involves opening N chests. :)

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Erm, Turinturamba just outlined a system above for a kind of draft using the shops, no chest opening needed.

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

<-- still sleepy this morning

I should have said... the only ways to draft at present require spending large quantities of in-game currency, which is easiest and cheapest to do on the test server.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The shop-sealed system seems better than the chest-sealed system, I kind of like it. Does it include Randimar's?

20. Stexe

Not really, it would be a specialized thing just for the tournament. No one would be forced to play there outside of just the tournament matches. Many games have specialized tournament servers that kept the devs keep things under check without messing the live build.