Peasant Tournament - Round 4 Pairings & Match Times

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Fourth Round Matches Complete: 6/6

TOURNAMENT COMPLETE!!!

Champion: TheShadowTitan

[link] => Final standings

Hi everyone! After some randomization and time-zone-checking, and individually communicating with every player, I have the pairings and match times for the final round of the peasant tournament. You can see results and video footage from round one here, round two here, and round three here.

Players: You have scheduled these matches amongst yourselves. The following pairings are final, and the match times as well, unless either A) I have misunderstood something or B) there is some kind of emergency. Show up on the server ahead of your match time (5 minutes early is fine) to confirm your presence. Remember that showing up late by more than 5 minutes will result in penalties. Missing your match entirely counts as a forfeit. All these rules are in the original tournament thread, which you can continue to reference throughout the duration of the event.

Spectators: You will be able to spectate the games at the specified match times on the Card Hunter PvP server. Remember to be respectful when spectating. If you can't watch the matches live, I will be posting video footage of them to YouTube. Links for that will be made available as footage becomes available.

Discussion in this thread: You guys can chat in here in anticipation of the matches if you'd like. Any questions or concerns about the following details, however, should be raised via PM (start a conversation with me)—I don't want them getting lost in the discussion.

Drops

No drops this round! Thanks for being so responsible, guys, it makes my life easier :)

Pairings & Match Times

I am listing these in chronological order, and labeling them with both their UTC times and their PST times (that's my timezone). Be sure to double check at what time these matches are occurring in your time zone! PM me if you have any questions about this, or if my math is wrong. I can't help you if you don't contact me, and you will receive a match loss if you don't show up.

1. ArcadianRook (2-1) vs. CT5 (2-1)
    UTC: 6 p.m. on Wednesday the 8th​
    PST: 10 a.m. on Wednesday the 8th​
    RESULTS: 1-2 (CT5 wins)
    > VIDEO <

2. Dave (1-2) vs. Scared Little Girl (2-1)
    UTC: 7 p.m. on Wednesday the 8th​
    PST: 11 a.m. on Wednesday the 8th​
    RESULTS: 1-2 (Scared Little Girl wins)
    > VIDEO <

3. Tuknir (1-2) vs. Alfonze (1-2)
    UTC: 9 p.m. on Thursday the 9th​
    PST: 1 p.m. on Thursday the 9th​
    RESULTS: 1-2 (Alfonze wins)
    > VIDEO <

4. ItsEtai (2-1) vs. Mosalla (2-1)
    UTC: 10 p.m. on Thursday the 9th​
    PST: 2 p.m. on Thursday the 9th​
    RESULTS: 2-1 (ItsEtai wins)
    > VIDEO <

5. ElShafto (1-2) vs. thedoughster (1-2)
    UTC: 12 a.m. on Friday the 10th
    PST: 4 p.m. on Thursday the 9th​
    RESULTS: 0-2 (thedoughster wins)
    > VIDEO <

6. Stexe (3-0) vs. TheShadowTitan (3-0)
    UTC: 6 p.m. on Saturday the 11th
    PST: 10 a.m. on Saturday the 11th
    RESULTS: 1-2 (TheShadowTitan wins)
    > VIDEO <

7. PIZZA (0-3) - bye

Please check this thread periodically. I will try to alert everyone if there're any changes, but I need all tournament participants to stay on the ball and keep an eye on these things.

Stexe likes this.
  2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yay, let's do this!

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Rules Change

New rule!

Stage Striking: At the beginning of a match, a player may choose to remove one map from the tournament rotation for the duration of that match. No games in this match will take place on this stage. Each player in a match may choose ONE (1) map, reducing the rotation to a minimum of EIGHT (8) maps. This decision does not affect other matches. Example: Jon and Farbs are playing a match in the peasant tournament. Jon doesn't like Melting Glacier and Farbs doesn't like Haunted Hall. These two maps are struck from the rotation, and all of the games in the Jon-Farbs match are played on other maps.

The main goal of this rule is to keep players from whining about having to play on their least favorite maps. The secondary goal of this rule is to allow focused builds to avoid maps that overly penalize them.

This probably will not be a high-impact rule, but I expect it will make people happier :)

4. MATCH REPORT
    Scared Little Girl (2) - (1) Dave

Game 1
    Map: Celestial Temple
    Winner: Dave
    I was relatively confident going into this match because Dave didn't have any wizards. I made a huge mistake in round 1 when I wasted 3 WoW's trying to get Dave's warrior on lava, who had tons of step attacks and wouldn't stay still. A real rookie mistake. Still, I had a good position and was pretty happy going into round 2. Then the bad draws started to happen. I drew very little attack cards and had to slowly retreat, while Dave was collecting points, until my back was at the wall. At one point I could have killed a warrior but of course I had Squeamish, which is always fun. I made one mistake of letting the Priest chop two of my guys, then made an even bigger mistake by actually WoW'ing that same Priest behind me so that it was easier for Dave to surround my wizards and kill one of them. In the end we were all boxed in the corner and just when I was about to get away, my 2nd Priest died and it was game over.

One major issue with this game was my build. All my wizards start with Counterblast Staff, which was pretty useless against Dave's team. Things started to look up for me once I was able to use the sideboard and take Chillwood Staff instead.

Game 2
    Map: Celestial Lions
    Winner: Scared Little Girl
    This is one of my favorite maps. What I like to do is take my wizard in the center during the first round and then just control everything from there. The plan worked very nicely. If not for Nimbus, I could have taken out his Priest very early, but now I had to work for it a bit more. After the Priest died, Dave rushed in with his warriors, one of them having Immovable. I had to retreat a bit but I felt I was in control for the whole match.

Game 3
    Map: Woodhome Blizzard
    Winner: Scared Little Girl
    This was one of those matches where it felt like I was fighting someone 600 points below me in the ratings. It didn't feel like that because Dave made mistakes, but because my draw was just so incredibly good, probably the best draw I've ever had with this build. At the start of round 2 I had tons of WoW's and other cool stuff so it was pretty easy to go from there. Dave did his best with the poor cards he was dealt, but he just got owned by the RNG Gods. I felt a bit bad about it actually. I would have liked the last match to be more even in card drawing luck. But a win is a win. And maybe it was sweet justice for my bad draw during game 1.

Conclusion
    Out of the 3 tournament matches I played, I liked these the most. Partly because I won, and partly because I thought the games were pretty interesting. Thanks Dave, thanks ref, and to everyone who was spectating.. STOP GIVING ADVICE!!!! (inside joke)

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I cracked up :D

Anyway, results & footage from ArcadianRook vs. CT5 and Dave vs. SLG are up in the first post of this thread. Both matches were fairly intense and fun, and I'd like to thank the players for showing up and providing the entertainment. I was literally on the edge of my seat during the last Rook-CT5 game, and while game 3 of Dave vs. SLG was kind of god-draw-roflstompy, the match overall was still very interesting!

Congratulations to SLG and CT5 for both securing 200 pizza!

(I'll be arranging your pizza deliveries once the round is complete.)

6. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

First, thanks Flaxative for running this tournament. I really like having my matches recorded and commented on, even though I lost most of them. My fate was sealed at deck registration, when I misjudged the metagame due to inexperience with the format and put myself in a very difficult position. That being said, I sure made a fight of it, winning at least one game in each of my matches. I did make a couple of critical mistakes in some of my losses, but that's how you get better, and I don't think I made any major mistakes in my loss to SLG. My opponents were all great, and my matches were all dramatic, and that's what the people want to see.

tuknir, CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  7. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

YES I AM THE WORST

good job everyone, fun tournament. congrats to everyone that won pizza! next time I will pummel bye so bad that it will cry

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Results & footage are up in the first post for
    • Tuknir - Alfonze
    • ItsEtai - Mosalla
    • ElShafto - thedoughster

No no shows this round! Thanks everyone for playing, and spectating, and I hope it's been fun. Our exciting final match is in just under two days—

Stexe (3-0) vs. TheShadowTitan (3-0)

UTC: 6 p.m. on Saturday the 11th
    PST: 10 a.m. on Saturday the 11th
    Don't miss it!

9. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

Could someone describe the kinds of decks each player is using? I think that could add interesting context for those who want a shallow view (without watching the videos).

10. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

My build was two warrior, one wizard. The two warriors had bejeweled swords and the wizard had mostly WoW plus a few sparks. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUILD IN PEASANT :)

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Once the tournament is over I'll be providing statistics about different build performances.

Lusus121 likes this.
  12. Mosalla

Mosalla Orc Soldier

My deck and last duel analysis

My reasoning was simple when building deck - cast Smoke Bomb so three wizards builds would be disabled. And try to manipulate warriors with some WoWs and WWE. But I decided to try playing two wizards and warrior instead of my usual build - two warriors and one wizard. And that was huge mistake because ItsEtai had Smoke Bomb and disabled two of my characters with one card. Exactly what I intended to do. The problem with my strategy was simple. Not enough of WWE cards. And WoW does not work through smoke. So basicaly the only way I could have some chance would be to draw WWE and count on some line of sight. Then freeze, WoW and Lava. But it did not work. The reason is quite simple. It is easier to load one wizard with many smoke bombs than to balance WWE/WoW on two wizards in peasant build. With unlimited sideboard this could be done. But still this is not a reliable strategy against elf warriors and smoke covered board. Warriors can hide out of sight until Smoke Bomb is played. So I feel like I could not do much really this time. Might have tried to wait in the game 3 a bit and see what happens but I decided to go with the flow and risk a bit. If I killed the dwarf wizard in the round two, I could be able to wait through smoke and somehow manipulate incomming warriors if they did not kill me fast enough. But seeing how many attack cards my opponent had, the chances were really small. My parry drew armor (unreliable). If it was any attack (another armor or parry), dwarf wizard would probably be dead. My warrior too of course, but I would have some chance I think. Especially with Toughness possibility.
    Game two could have gone totally different if again I drew even one WWE. I had a lot of (little) moves but no other cards. So could be able to position my party for the killing blow the next round. But again - it would be very hard to pin down any of elf warriors with smoke and terrain obstacles on the map.
    There is one more issue with smoke I found already when I was deck building. The only encumber working through it is not available in peasant mode (Cone Of Cold). I use this strategy in normal games. Freeze through smoke then WWE or just pick one target and gang it. But only one warrior is not a real threat if enemy can still move and step attack. And WWE used against not encumbered elf warrior is asking yourself for 17 damage. But this still could work if only I got some luck... and ItsEtai had not! ;)

Flaxative likes this.
  13. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

No, Im the worts :p the victory i have was from a no show :p. Next time we will rook :)

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Tournament complete! >>FINAL STANDINGS

Thanks everyone for playing and watching :) More thoughts / reflections coming soon.