this game is really difficult

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by adecoy95, Jan 3, 2014.

1. adecoy95

adecoy95 Kobold

i cannot manage to defeat any of the challenges beyond level 6 or 7 or so, because of this i keep making new characters hoping to find a combonation that works, but sofar, its just endless deaths, why does the ai seem to always have way better cards than i ever do?

2. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

It's a tough game, you need tactics as much as cards to beat them, though the cards you are getting as you play will help. If you look back through the forums you will find people talking about strategy. Even in beta, it got harder around this level - you have to learn how to whack the baddies from behind to stop them blocking, or perhaps use penetration to get through their armour etc. It's not really a character thing, the classic 3-character warrior-wizard-priest can get through all levels.

3. adecoy95

adecoy95 Kobold

it dosent really even feel challenging when a creature can lunge from 2 squares away and do 7 damage to my character from behind, its just cheap

4. Mosalla

Mosalla Orc Soldier

You can read some tactical hints here on the forum. You can check the thread about making 1hp challenge. You won't have many of mentioned cards but there are some useful tips how mobs behave on some of harder maps. Plus almost every mob in single player has a hidden weak spot. You just need to find it.
    General strategy looks like this:
    - send warrior first equipped with heaviest armor possible, and 5 (or more if have them) damage chops which hit many mobs at once
    - try to heal your warrior
    - parry is your friend
    - priest can do nice damage with correct weapons too, especially these 10 damage hacks to two targets are useful
    - step attacks on warrior on some maps are very very needed
    - wizard can work in two ways: control enemies by putting some obstacles on their way or under their feet or sending them back and doing damage
    - wizard can remove armor which is useful in some scenarios
    - if you buff your warrior with priest, he will be quite powerful
    You can always search forums for tips how to finish specific map or enemy. Try not to waste gold on resurrecting party more than once. If you feel like it is not going to happen, look for some clues first. Then decide if you have equipment good enough.
    When multiplayer is available, try to play some battles. You will get very nice items quite fast and campaign will be much easier.

5. adecoy95

adecoy95 Kobold

at best i can have, what, 2 parry cards in my whole deck?
    im currently using two priests and a wizard, i never use control on my wizard because its pointless, the ai seems to get endless free moves so i dont even bother trying to push them around

i have currently spent about 100 gold ressurecting on this one fight

6. Mosalla

Mosalla Orc Soldier

What kind of challenge you talk about? Be more specific. If you mean No party deaths, 1 hp, drawbacks - these require better items. Especially Impenetrable Nimbus or Firestorm. You can have even three parries on a shield. Two on each warrior weapon, some on class skill, so it can be a lot at higher levels. But Nimbus works miracles on warrior.

7. adecoy95

adecoy95 Kobold

i dont have any cards that do either of those, most of the items i have that are any good require blue or yellow orbs my characters dont have

8. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

As others have said already, different maps require different strategies and different items. General hints don't help much because strategy #1 may get you easily through map 1 but fail miserably in map 2.

So please tell us:
    - What's the name of the adventure and the fight you are having trouble with
    - What equipment have you been using?
    Try pressing F1, twice, this will bring up a console.
    Then, first enter "cls", then "partyanddecksbbcode"
    Then use "Ctrl + C" to copy your deck here.

This will give us some info to figure out what went wrong.

Two Priests and a Wizard can be very strong, but it's also one of the harder combos to play. Your main problem is that Priests don't draw much attacks (6 cards compared to warrior 18!) and Wizards have very limited direct damage capability. You can still play the campaign with such a party, but you're more dependent on the right items, a good strategy and some cards draw luck. You need to stall monsters and keep them from attacking while you pick them off one by one.

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

A slight correction, "Ctrl + V" to paste the deck here. "partyanddecksbbcode" automatically copies the data into the operating system clipboard, ready for pasting.

Also, the party builder needs to be visible when you use "partyanddecksbbcode" for it to work.

10. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

If you are having a specific challenge on a specific map, please mention it and I shall update the title and move it to the appropriate forum. It's true that each challenge for each map really does require a fine-tuned deck to overcome - they're challenges because they are meant to be very difficult (otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge).

But once you can provide some specifics (including your build), our awesome group of amazing Cardhuntrians will be able to help you out! :)

11. adecoy95

adecoy95 Kobold

sorry i dident reply sooner, i took a break to cool my head since i was pretty frustrated, in general tho, there is not any one encounter map that i am frustrated with, but in particular, the encounters that seem to frustrate me the most are the ones were creatures with powerful reach or movement/attack dualcards also share the same movement pool. the dogs in the encounters with the pesants also seem way overtuned, i saw one draw 3 cards from an ability, and two more from a peasant on the second turn(or are they rounds?) that then killed both my clerics that had no cards left to do anything with, the only way to even deal with the dogs seems to be to pray they draw their oversized armor card, otherwise they will murder your party without fail

here is my current party

Helena
    Level 7 Human Priest

Terrven
    Level 6 Human Priest

Udhel
    Level 7 Elf Wizard

i tend to play pretty conservatively in strategy games, so i went towards two priests to let me cater to that playstyle a little more

12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Please don't place the party code inside code tags, it's meant to be copied directly into the post text. The forum then formats it in a useful way, like this:

Helena
    Level 7 Human Priest

13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

When you speak of challenges and encounters, do you mean the Quests* like "use only Priests" or "all characters have 1 HP" that open up once you have completed the whole Single Player campaign or do you mean the regular adventures? The difference is significant as we can help you better once we know what you are actually referring to.

By the way, have you been trying to change your items according to the adventure? In Card Hunter it is essential to try to counter the abilities of the opponents in a particular map with items that are effective against them. The same items will not work in all adventures, changing them is pretty much mandatory.

*Quests are special variants of the adventures where you have a limitation to your party. You can't just use your normal party and equipment for them, you need to make some changes.

Also, could you please use Capital Letters? It makes text much easier to read when the reader's eyes can quickly find where a sentence ends. Otherwise text is just one grey mass and tiring to read.

14. adecoy95

adecoy95 Kobold

i do try and change up items when i am having trouble, but i dont find it being very effective most of the time

well people keep asking for an example zone, i find the first white star map pretty much impossible, no character combination i use even comes close to working

oh and im not using any special challenges, i was not aware there even was such a thing

15. You should really try not using items that have such terrible drawbacks like Demonic Revenge or Defensiveness. Especially for a low level party Demonic Revenge is terrible. If you do not have an alternative it is probably better to leave the slot empty. Try buying some items from the shops. You should be able to easily pickup some common 5 gold items that substantially improve your party.

16. Mosalla

Mosalla Orc Soldier

These are very bad cards, a lot of nasty things which hurt you more than enemy. Defensiveness is terrible in single player because you cannot cast anything when enemies are near. It has some use on vampire priests but they are really hard to play in single player. Use shops to check what can be improved. In a shop click Red Button below Renown number until it says "New", so you will see items which you do not have. Please do use warrior instead of priest. Priests won't be able to deal enough damage to enemy, and party will be dead very fast.

Here is my tokenless deck if you want to compare the ideas. Comments below each character.

Level 9 Dwarf Wizard

The wizard is loaded with firestorms. It helps to deal with many enemies without armor and much health. If you can survive it yourself, then there is a chance your enemies won't. It softens them so warrior or priest can finish them with a single hit instead of a few. And this means they are hit only by firestorm once not by multiple mobs. Firestorm items come from finishing some campaign scenarios I think and mostly from 6-10 level range quests. They are rare, so you would probably need another strategy before you find them. Just find most hitting spells. Probably something like Malachite Orb would be nice. Citrine Amulet also, especially against casting mobs. White Orb if you don't have anything else. If you find Befuddling Stone it can be nice to strip your enemy off attack cards or off armor. I use Armorbane Pendand for that because Combustible drawback card is actually and advantage - mobs rarely use fire attacks, and it just gives me another card when played. Choose shoes and robes with nice armor. Resistant Hide would be best against caster mobs (and my own firestorm in this case). I use Sorcerery Staff in a build without firestorm (below).

Level 9 Dwarf Priest

Chops and heals. This is the main theme. Holy Presence is very useful because your party will almost always stay together, so it would heal 1hp and clear debuffs each turn. Some lifesucking abilities help to restore priest hp and let him tank a bit. Savage Curse is placed on wizard, so he could hit with much more power. There are blue token items with Unholy Well which can boost damage even more. I would use it on warrior usually though. These tokenless books which have this card, can be good only if you can survive the debuff damage. One might be fine but maybe there is a better idea to put some more heals there instead.

Level 9 Dwarf Warrior

Chops and a bit of step attacks. Blind Rage from epic dwarf item helps a lot. Without it you would need a token used in a weapon or race slot.

Below is my level 10 party composition. More chops, stronger attacks and defense on warrior. Nice chops on priest - both powered with Mass Frenzy buff work really well. Wizard uses single target hard hitting spells instead, together with Path Of Knives which can kill some enemies very fast if they move a lot.

Level 20 Dwarf Warrior

Level 20 Human Wizard

Level 20 Dwarf Priest

Oh, I almost forgot! You chop when there are two enemies around! Not one. Just wait for them to come, move to them or save it for the next round!
    Remember that if you pass first, you will start the next round as first. So it can be used to your advantage a lot of times. Especially if your wizard is in danger - he can escape it at the beginning of the next turn if you start it.

17. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

Card Hunter is a very difficult game at first when you have very few items to choose from. I recommend playing the adventures you have already beaten over and over each day to build up a good supply of items. Hopefully you'll get some epics or legendaries that can really help you out in later quests. Once you've amassed a huge collection of items like players who have played day in and day out since the game launched, you'll be facerolling all of the quests in the game.

But the fun doesn't stop there. After beating all of the quests in the game, challenge quests open up. Each of the quests in the game has challenge variants you can play that are difficult, such as only being able to equip items with drawback cards or your party only has 1 (ONE) hitpoint each. So stick with it, learn the tactics, get better equipment, and have fun!

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Hi adecoy95,
    Here's my two cents worth.

Start with dwarves or mostly dwarves. A 1/1/1 is usually the best starter mix. The extra health and stronger racial skills can help make up for mistakes and a lack of good equipment when you're first learning the game. A human is okay in a fighter or (preferably) cleric slot for a little extra mobility.

Avoid drawback cards at low level. Even Trip or Squeamish can get you killed if they show up at the wrong place and time. They're usually not worth the risk unless they come with a really great item, such as Blazing Shortsword. If you're using Firestorm or facing fire-using enemies, leave your Blazing Shortswords at home and use something different.

Know your enemies. The wiki has maps of each adventure with listings of each monster and what cards they have.

Position yourself to your advantage. The most reliable method I've found for the first battle in White Star is to attack the avengers first. Set a tank warrior backed by a wizard (so the tank isn't bashed out of place) just outside their lair exit. Getting there before they get out is often a challenge. The priest stands beside the tank. 3v1 them as they come out. If you can't finish them before the spearmen arrive, you probably need better cards. Use the avenger's lair once you've finished them. Put the priest in the corner where the hall widens with the warrior a step further back in line with the main hall. The wizard will stand further back and use ranged attacks. It's a big plus if your warrior has a good range 2 weapon. If not, he'll still draw the spearman into the priest's range and can then step forward to attack. The spearmen should straggle in slowly, so you should be able to heal a bit before they arrive and between bouts. If all goes well, the wizard should have weakened them before they reach the cleric. Lava (Hot Spots or Wall Of Fire) can help a lot in both phases.

Level up. You gain experience (and loot) from adventures up to 2 levels below your character level. If you're level 6, run the level 4 and 5 adventures.

Don't spend gold on restarts in the regular campaign. If you're having that much trouble, you need more practice and/or a better strategy. Save your gold for gear. ;)

19. My tip is take a bunch of dwarves and go full damage and just kill them before they kill you. Forget those lame healing and protection cards and just take as much damage as you can carry. Scenarios will be over faster and you will most likely win. There is not a single scenario in SP where this approach does not work.

20. Mosalla

Mosalla Orc Soldier

So you mean to get ridof priests at all? ANd stay with warriors only or ...?