Rating Camping at 1700+

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Pilgrim Bailey, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Blue Manchu,

Can you please change 1700 rating to: Retired?

Thanks,
    PB

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There're a lot of active players in the 1700s... they just don't stay there forever :p

3. Yea, this is a design flaw that needs to be fixed. It's one of those really simple fixes that would improve the overall PvP experience for those who care about their rankings, but somehow it's not happening. I posted about it before, but many people seem to be against any kind of decay which I find really frustrating because it's so logical and there is no real downside to it (unless you define reducing rank camping as a downside).

If there was rank decay, we would have a better idea of what the current PvP rankings are. It would also have the added benefit of top-10 players being able to take a break from MP without being accused of rating camping. It's a win-win.

During the last two map rotations I've played rated MP less than 10 times, yet my position in the rankings stays the same. Enough said.

4. My concern is more that people seem to be hitting 1700 and actively camping their rating. Its something different than a lack of rating decay which should occur also. Is it a reflection of the MP that people feel like 1700 is a substantial accomplishment for some reason, and they'd rather not even play the multiplayer at all after hitting it?

5. Bearson Onyx

Bearson Onyx Goblin Champion

Elo decay needs to happen, it makes sense on many different levels.
    I'm also an advocate of rewarding the top 20 (or 50 or whatever) on a periodic basis, some pizza slices per month (not alot but enough to feel rewarding and maybe save up for a new figurine if you managed to stay in high ranking for a long period of time).
    The good ol' stick and carrot should work very well here and create motivation for actively playing.
    If implementing the carrot is too tricky the stick shouldn't be, and is more urgent for the reasons SLG states above.

6. Sazanami

Sazanami Orc Soldier

I think you're picturing a use for the stick here that has little to do with chasing carrots. ;)

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  7. So glad I am back in the 1800s where you do not get accused of rating camping. Oh wait, does the + mean I am still in the dreaded camper group? Curses!

To be more serious there is very little reward for playing at the 1700+ level (other than the intrinsic enjoyment of the game). You are at the top of the rating, you have most of the items you want and you are not allowed to make any mistakes if you want to keep your rating. Also no more new icons. So I can see why players somewhat lose interest once reaching that milestone. For perspective: to keep my rating constant I need something like a ~90% winrate vs 1400s and a ~75% winrate vs 1700.

8. Haha Turin this obviously wasn't directed at you. It was just a joke to rib the few people that actively queue dodge, and to point out there isn't much to do right now in-game for mp. It's either run an op comp, and play other players doing the same or who wwe you turn one, or explore new builds for fun and hover between 1450-1675.

Hopefully league play and or rating decay is implemented soon, and trait cycling gets balanced so people aren't afraid or unmotivated to queue.

9. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Pilgrim - I'd suggest making less "trolling" topics - that way any suggestion gets taken more seriously. It's not like the root of your complaint isn't valid (as some of your responses show). Also, a lot of threads discussing elo decay and similar already exists to add to if you feel the need.

Lusus121 likes this.
  10. I have no problem taking all of the humor out of posts I make if you refer to that as trolling. I promise to be super serial in the future.

As I explained above, this wasn't a thread to address elo decay. The issue I see is that regardless of elo decay, there isn't much incentive to play once someone reaches that rating threshold as Turin / SLG have pointed out. That's a different issue but if you would prefer to merge this thread at the end of SLGs to reduce clutter feel free.

turinturamba and Flaxative like this.
  11. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

No need to apply the seriousness, but baiting people (which you pretty much admitted), isn't the way to go. You have an issue with something, adress it - don't try to get the people you have an issue with to get upset with your semi-jokey thread and bite.

Not looking to clean up any clutter here, just making sure we haven't had a thread regarding a similar issue recently. I'm fine if you consider this topic unrelated to SLG's suggestion, just felt they were in the same ballpark.

12. Well, I cannot speak for others but when I finally hit that #1 spot in the rankings, it did have a huge effect on my motivation to keep playing MP. When you have a top spot (like top-5 or something) you have everything to lose and very little to gain by playing MP. If you want items, SP is a better place for that. If you want to have PvP fun, lower rankings are better because the potential opponent pool is much larger and you see more variation in builds.

So instead of grinding away and always fighting the same top-10 players with the same builds, or boring AI, I decided to focus on other things like SP, custom scenarios and peasant. What I'd really like though would be a way to reset my rating back to 1000 or whatever so that I could start over with some other build and see how far it would take me. I could just resign every match until I hit that number, but I don't think that is allowed, plus it would take ages. It would also be kind of unfair for those lower ranking players to have to fight against someone with much better items.

In-game tournament are what I am waiting for the most. That would fix all my problems :) Some kind of periodical monthly rating reset would be nice as well. It would give everyone a fresh start.