Unfair Match Ups

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by ArcadianRook, Dec 20, 2013.

?

Does the ELO Match Up System need to be fixed?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2014.
  1. Yes(please offer your opinion why and/or how to fix it)

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No (please offer your reason why not)

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. Aeko

Aeko Kobold

I don't think it's "broken", but it could certainly be improved. About ±250 difference is fair IMO, but outside that range the card and skill difference can quickly kill the fun. I would like to have 3 options:
    - Quick search (the current system, guaranteed opponent within 2 minutes)
    - Normal search (wait indefinitely for a ±250 match)
    - Slow search (wait indefinitely for a ±100 match)
    That way everybody wins, whether they are pressed for time or want to ensure they get a very closely skilled opponent.

2. It's not a bad idea. A bit complicated though. And how would you implement in visually? Three different arena icons?

Here's an idea. We already have the "Allow GM Opponents" checkbox under the arena icon. How about adding a "Allow Challenging Opponents" checkbox that puts you against people with 300+ higher rating if others are not found? This would be a relatively simple way of doing it without having to add new buttons etc.

3. Aeko

Aeko Kobold

I was thinking about a combo box (3 arenas would take half the screen :p), but the way of showing it is of little importance. The core idea is simply to somehow let the player choose between "give me a match ASAP however you can" and "wait as long as you need, but give me a good match", so the checkbox you mention is appropriate too.

4. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

Well, I really can't argue against that. They ARE usually tense and memorable matches, though I've never had the occasion to celebrate such a victory over one of them (YET!!)

ArcadianRook chuckles and rubs his hands together plottingly.
    Oh, but I shall... but I shall!!!

5. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

Hmmm... I like this idea.