[PvE x3] Devil Dogs Quest

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Kalin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Story:
    In a hidden valley deep in the _____ Mountains there lies a rift in the wall between reality and the abyss. For centuries a secret order of monks has guarded this unholy portal with the aid of their courageous canine companions. But nothing lasts forever. Ineveitably, wars among the lowland nations spill over into the valley, the monestary is overrun, and all the monks are killed.

Years pass.

The demonic hordes notice the weakening of the wards, and begin their attempts to open the portal. No one remains to sound to alarm, to hold the wards against them. No one, except three direct descendants of the Demon-Devouring Dogs of Dernholm Dale.

Part I: Ruined Entrance

DevilDogs1.jpg

How does this look? Is it clear what I'm doing with the terrain? Do the VP goals need adjusting?

EDIT: new, prettier, slightly harder version uploaded

Attached Files:

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  2. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

Looks difficult with only 3 VPs for the Imps to win and them having initial control of it.

Otherwise I like the concept.

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I like it a lot. The confined map and low character HP accentuate the speed of movement and the cruelty of each hit, while the looming VP limit forces the vicious dance onward to the end. Well done, 5 stars!

(And definitely submit it to MM!)

4. Nice little scenario. I really liked the fact that you dance around the Imps and then one-shot them in the back.

I thought it was a bit too easy though (although I only finished it 3 times). The Imps scatter almost immediately and you can just cap the victory square without killing them all. I think the difficulty would be better f there were no victory squares.

The shadow effects were also cool.

Definitely something that I would like to see in MM.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I like that it looks harder than it is. But if you want a real challenge, I've attached the original version.

Thanks, I'll submit it once I make the other two maps that complete the story.

Attached Files:

Aiven likes this.
  6. Fair enough, but that works only once. If it's added in MM and it's too easy, it might get boring. Then again I'm not sure it was that easy. I could have just been lucky.

That went from too easy to close to impossible. :)

Just out of curiosity.. are you planning on using the same three dogs?

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Part 2: Broken Cloister

DevilDogs2.jpg

At first this seemed too hard, so I exploited a minor bug to limit the sprites to one attack per round. Is it too easy now?

Attached Files:

9. Part one difficult is much better now.

Yea, seems a bit easy. All you need to do is cap that victory square with the dog that has the most armor and Sprites pretty much lack the damage to kill it. And if that doesn't work you just kill the Sprites which are pretty easy targets for the dogs.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Okay, so I allowed the sprites multiple attacks and removed the victory squares from maps 1 and 2. And now I can't win map 1 at all. :( I may just be playing badly, but I'm not going to submit something that I can't beat. So I'm putting the victory squares back in.

I really wanted to finish this last night since it looks like a new build is coming soon, so the devs are probably already selecting the next MM. But I haven't tried testing map 3 yet...

11. Not just yet. Keep at it!

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I actually finished this map 3 weeks ago, but didn't test it until today. It seems much easier than the first two, but maybe I just got lucky with the Cowardly Attacks.

Part 3: Desecrated Sanctum

As you reach the inner sanctum, you find the wards are already broken and four major demons are opening a portal directing into the Abyss! The Archfiend Mdfg$gh'q'Hgfr&ahY has managed to manifest his head in the room, and you have only moments before all of Hell breaks loose!

DevilDogs3.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

That's a great visual idea, Kalin! Breaking into the gameboard with the otherdimensional skull decoration is really inspired.

14. Codde

Codde Mushroom Warrior

Love the use of use of implied trees through shadows. If that was done in the official card hunter campaign I didn't get far enough to see it yet.

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I don't think any official board has ever used shadows as shadows (yet). I got the idea from a custom map called Monkey Panic (I think made by Farbs) showing a cabin at night with light spilling out the windows and doors. Using it for tree shade seemed obvious to me.

And I finally finished writing the silly descriptions for this adventure so I could submit it.

16. Lord Tarantus

Lord Tarantus Kobold

Just me or Broken Cloister is too difficult?

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

18. Lord Tarantus

Lord Tarantus Kobold

Sorry, but I cant EDIT nor DELETE my old comment, so I've do double post...

I think that if the Broken Cloister had 6 V pts needed for the GM victory, it would be more balanced, but anyway... to many debuffs and dots on the dogs. Hard to move and stay alive without healing.

19. Shoe

Shoe Mushroom Warrior

I can't beat the Broken Cloister after tons of playthroughs either...what tactic am I missing? I never even get 1 VP