Peasant Card Hunter Tournament w/ Prizes!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Dec 16, 2013.

1. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

Sign me up. In game name is Dave. Usually available CST evenings.

Flaxative likes this.
  2. Tragus

Tragus Kobold

Im in EST 6PM - 10PM.

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

1 slot left I believe.

4. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

Count me in.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

16 slots filled!

The roster:
    • ElShafto - party & sideboard registered!
    • CT5 - party & sideboard registered!
    • StrictlyRockers
    • ScaredLittleGirl - party & sideboard registered!
    • Red Mage - party & sideboard registered!
    • Stormyknight - party & sideboard registered!
    • Mosalla - party & sideboard registered!
    • ArcadianRook - party & sideboard registered!
    • Alfonze - party registered!
    • kogi
    • thedoughster - party registered!
    • ItsEtai
    • Pizza - party & sideboard registered!
    • Dave - party & sideboard registered!
    • Tragus - party registered!
    • Krizmn1

Please, everyone who registered, PM me your builds within 24 hours. The instructions for that are at the bottom of the first post in this thread. THERE WAS A TYPO IN MY INSTRUCTIONS—CHECK THEM AGAIN IF YOU WERE HAVING DIFFICULTY!

I'll be working on setting up the bracket and the first round match times in the meantime. If any of you don't register in time, I'll have to DQ you! :)

6. Krizmn1

Krizmn1 Mushroom Warrior

I can do any Thurday/Friday times. Wednesday after 5:45 Sunday after 5:45 pmMonday/Tuesday/Saturday after 8:45 pm all est.

Flaxative likes this.
  7. thedoughster

thedoughster Kobold

might be a silly question, but when i type "partydecksandbbcode" in to console then try to paste in private msg it just pastes the original copy which is "partydecksandbbcode" wat am i doing wrong?

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, that was the typo in my first post. Sorry about that. I've edited it—the console command is "partyanddecksbbcode"

9. thedoughster

thedoughster Kobold

ok fixed thx, pretty excited bout this looking forward to it

Flaxative likes this.
  10. duking

duking Kobold

Hmm guess i will try for this too sign me up. I'm good from 6.00pm-2am UTC+8.00 but i can make do with other timing if you can inform me beforehand.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Duking, sign-ups are CLOSED. We only had room for 16 players and we filled up way faster than I expected. I hope following the tournament proves entertaining, and stay tuned for further events. Sorry!

12. duking

duking Kobold

Opps didn't read it properly guess i will try for the next event. Is there a date where this event starts so i can watch it?

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There will be a thread with the bracket and match times for round 1 probably in the next day or so. I'll post here when it's up.

14. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

Superb - thanks Flaxative, this looks a great endeavour! Both tournaments and peasant format will be a great boost to the game. I'll look forward to the next one.

Flaxative likes this.
  15. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

hope im not late, count me in

edited: :'( me ish sad panda . thats what happens when u stop playing ch to go sleep

16. Sorry for not including the time in my first post. I was half-asleep when I posted :)

Best time for me would be between 10am and 8pm UTC, but I might be able to stretch that a bit if needed. Weekdays are better than weekends.

-------------------

I have a couple of suggestions. First two suggestions make your (Flaxative) work easier. I love the enthusiasm you've had with this peasant project and I'm hoping you will stay motivated, which is why I think some parts of the rules should be tweaked a bit to make it easier for the organizer, otherwise it might start feel like work with no pay :) Last suggestion is related to signing up.

SUGGESTION 1:
    In order to save Flaxative from tons of tedious work, I strongly suggest that match times are decided like this:

1. Randomly seed participants against each other
    2. Post the brackets on the forums, after which participants have maybe 48-72 hours to complete their match
    3. Participants contact their opponent (using forum Conversations) and decide on a time that suits both, then post that time on the forums
    4. Participants and the referee show up when the match starts

This will be better for participants because they get to decide a time that suits them the best, and they are more committed to that exact time because they themselves agreed to it. It's also much better for you because you don't have to spend hours in trying to find suitable times for everyone, and then trying to find a new time when that first time wasn't suitable. I'm just afraid that if you choose match times based on the suitable times that people posted here, you will get your inbox full of stuff like "I know I said I would be available at that time, but could you move it by one hour because I have to do the dishes bla bla..".

But I could be wrong, maybe it will go just fine. I guess you could try it out the way it is now and change things for the next event.

SUGGESTION 2:
    This is an alternative to suggestion 1. You could have a tournament that happened during a fixed time, for example every Friday or Saturday at 8-9pm UTC (late Europe, evening US(?)). Everyone would just show up in the lobby at that time and the fights would happen there and then, with the whole event lasting 2-3 hours. No need to come up with custom-made timeslots for everyone, and it would be easier for the ref to see the matches. It would also be easier for everyone else to observe the matches.

The problem with this is of course that people have different timezones and some parts of the world, like maybe Asia and Oceania (?), would be shafted here (like they usually do in a situation like this), but I still think that it's a good solution all things considered. Besides, future tournaments could happen at different times to even it out.

SUGGESTION 3:
    I think the sign-ups would be much more fair if there was a 24 hour sign-up period, after which 16 participants were chosen randomly from all who applied. Otherwise this happens:

I am probably one of the few Europeans in the tournament because everyone else was sleeping at the time this topic was posted. This wouldn't be a big deal if there were no real prizes involved, but since there is pizza, giving everyone a fair chance would be better.

17. Red Mage

Red Mage Kobold

I don't think that changing the rules at this point would be fair. Maybe next time we could have separate tournaments for every time zone, with the additional benefit that it would be easier to find suitable times for everyone

18. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

Ah :( I wanted to participate but only saw the post today. I don't know what happened but I checked the forum yesterday but didn't see this post, unfortunatly.

19. Well, actually it kind of would be fair. :)

Look at it like this: people who were awake during the time this topic was posted had an advantage, and people who were asleep had a disadvantage. That disadvantage made it unfair, because their only crime was to live at the wrong side of the globe, right? Now if the sign-up rules were later changed so that we now had a 24-hour window, the situation would actually become morefair, because all you are doing is taking that unfair advantage away from people like me who happened to be awake at the right time. This way everyone would have a chance to participate, which by the definition is fair.

That being said, I agree with what you said. While changing the rules could be seen as "fair", it would also be a bit lame and pointless now that the process has already started. This is the first time this tournament happens so not everything has to be perfect. Having this type of sign-up process also has the added benefit of having 16 players who are all from similar timezones, which helps in setting up the matches.

Long story short, my last suggestion was only feedback for the next tournament. I didn't mean it should be implemented for this one.

Flaxative and Red Mage like this.
  20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Scared Little Girl, your suggestions are basically all good.

#1: I'm going to do it the way I said I would for Round 1, but may switch to this in future rounds.
    #2: I prefer #1 at this point.
    #3: Good idea.

In light of recent posts in this thread,
    I am amending the sign-up limit.

People may continue signing up beyond the 16-person limit. When you sign up, please include your availability, and register your party with me immediately!

If any of the original 16 entrants on the roster fail to register their parties with me in time, they will be disqualified, and I will look to the overflow list to fill the tournament back up to 16.

Duking, TheShadowTitan, and Tuknir—you guys are our first overflow entrants, #17, #18, and #19 respectively. Please submit your builds ASAP.