SUGGESTION: More D&D classes and race

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by niko718, Dec 6, 2013.

1. niko718

niko718 Kobold

Card Hunter is a fun game and would love to see it be expended with new classes that are typical in the D&D world that this game gets inspiration from. So with that in mind, please consider the following suggestions to classes/race in an expansion or update.

Ranger: Focuses on long ranged physical attacks (different bows), regular melee attacks (swords, axes, spears, etc.) and light armor (hide)

Thief: Focuses on short range physical attacks (daggers), melee attacks that allow movement (like lounge), poisons, backstab (when enemy faces other way) for extra damage and light armor (leather/hide).

Monk: Monk abilities/skills (that deal melee damage, movement abilities that deal physical damage, magic and damage resistance, no armor, and item use.

Paladin: Divine Armor, Heavy Weapon, Martial Ability, Aura Symbols or Divine Shield (healing aura, inspire aura, resistance aura, protect aura, etc.)

Halfling: Dodge Bonus racial class, movement limitation like dwarf.
    As a final note, I would love to the ability to have a party of 4 which would make sense if new classes and races are added.
    Best regards

Scared Little Girl likes this.
  2. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

The devs mentioned that they are working on a rogue class. A hint on that is that warrior armor is called "heavy armor", so we may see light armor. If you've played the war monkey missions you've seen some cards that I predict we'll see on Rogue items.

A Ranger would probably be easier to implement, just take the warrior, replace two weapons with bow slots and the shield for a divine item (D&D Rangers have limited cleric spellcasting)

As for some ideas on other classes and races, see the links in my signature.

3. Interesting stuff. I have a couple of comments.

I think the problem with Ranger is that it could be a bit one-dimensional. I mean it has a bow but what else? Seems a bit lackluster to me. If it was implemented, it would need something really unique, like traps or pets or whatever. Pets would be really cool but I don't know how they would be implemented. Also I don't think rangers should have divine items even though in D&D they have spellcasting. Rangers are not usually associated with magic so it would be weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if BM decided to combine Thief and Ranger into one class that uses a bow, dagger and light armor.

Paladin is a cool idea and something I'd like to see. Then again it could be a bit too close to Cleric, seeing some clerics hit pretty hard. Those auras you suggest sound pretty cool, but might also lead to those annoying "lets all ball up and spam Firestorms" types of builds.

Monk would be cool. Here's an idea for monk: it should have cards that stun, like some kind of mystical martial arts blow. It could also maybe use combos somehow, although I don't know how that would work.

Halfling would be more tricky because I don't think it would be unique enough. Being small and difficult to hit is a bit boring. It should have some kind of unique offence as well, and I don't know how that would work. Of course you could give him a bow and get Halfling + Ranger 2-in-1 deal.

But what I would really like to see is a combination of a Warrior and a Wizard. Something like this:

Battlemage
    Warrior that replaces one Weapon with 2 Arcane Items. The penalty of using magic would be that the Battlemage also replaces Armor with a Robe.

I don't know about the balance of it, but it would enable us to build some cool builds, like for example "Wizard Hunter" who uses Smoke Circlet or Spellbane Scepter.

Best thing about Battlemage would of course be that it uses item slots that already exists so it would be easy to implement. Make it happen BM! :)

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I love gishes and this sounds fun but it's a lot easier to get traits on robes than on armor (e.g. the common robe that gives 2 hovers) so I feel like this could be an almost strict upgrade on the fighter in some ways. Replace one weapon with two runestones or blood lockets and swap out two armor cards for deck-thinning? Seems strong :)

5. Sure, but when I was talking about a penalty, I meant theme-wise. Wizards cast spells and therefore cannot use armor, so it would only make sense that a Battlemage cannot use armor either. While in the game it might not be a penalty, in logical and thematic sense it is.

The real penalty would be HP related, so that the HP of Battlemage would be somewhere between a Warrior and a Wizard. But yeah, it could still be OP.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, it's a good idea :) Of course, fine-tuning the balance would be BM's job :3

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

And that's why the Rogue class isn't here yet ;)

Turbo164, Flaxative and spacedust like this.
  8. spacedust

spacedust Goblin Champion

Oooh, itz coming!

9. Zeful

Zeful Kobold

I don't really like the design of making a weaker version of two different archetypes with no new mechanics and calling it a new class. I really think it would be interesting to see what we can think up for interesting play. I mean we already have healing auras, on the Cleric so that's a bit redundant. For a Paladin I'd rather see stuff where it can take hits for adjacent allies, buffs to push up health beyond the normal max for a couple of rounds, and maybe aura's as traits that "spread the love" and have self-cast spells give out lesser versions to nearby allies (I think it'd be nifty to have a trait that heals nearby allies 1 hp every time we're healed (or gives them +1 current/total hp for 2 rounds to prevent 3 Paladins from healing to full from any healing spell cast)). It could stand to have some more direct healing and offense, so the Paladin could kind of stand in as a dedicated Cleric or Fighter, but it should be a standalone thing.

10. niko718

niko718 Kobold

People mention Rogue...so this is a general idea of some stuff I'd like to see included (at least some stuff)

ROGUE2 Weapon slots3 thief skill slots1 Armor slot1 head slot1 shoe slot1 race slot

Possible weapon features relating to range and typeLong Bows (r= 6), Composite Long (r= 8) <piercing type>Short Bows (r-4), Composite short (r= 5) < piercing type >
    Hand Crossbow (r= 3) <piercing type>, Crossbow (r= 7) < piercing type >
    Sling (r=3) <bash type> (***clerics should have this too***)Short Sword (r=1) < slashing/piercing type>Throwing Dagger (r=2), Dagger (r=1) < piercing type >

Weapon related abilities
    Piercing Damage,

Possible Armor featuresa
    Cloth, Cloak, Hide, Leather, and Studded, Leathera

Armor related abilities
    Dodge, Parry, Deflect, Jump Back, Roll

Head protection
    Hood, Cap (Trap, Remove Trap, Bonus to roll)

Armor related abilitiesa
    Defense, Bonus to roll, Bonus to mobility

3 Thief Skills
    Poison Damage, Back Stab, Hamstring: Damage/Slow target, Damage/Paralyze, Poison Trap* (r= 1, poison and duration damage), Spike Trap* (r= 1), Gas Trap* (r=1, Damage/Paralyze), Remove Trap (r=1), Dodge, Back Stab (various damage bonus), Fast Attack (can use two cards before opponent goes).
    * Traps maybe have duration of 3-4 rounds.

Shoe Slot (like everyone else)Race Slot (like everyone else)

Favored Rogue RACE: Halfling (only because it is a D&D staple race)
    Race related abilities: Dodge Bonus, Sneak, Luck (bonus to rolls), Deflect Magic or Magic Resistance (Dwarves should have this ability too).

11. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

Towards Character and Race ideas. I assume that in Card Hunter we will be playing the Good Side just like in D&D so evil ideas would be more for a Card Hunter 2: The Dark Side.
    Listed in possible order of implementation.
    1st; A Rogue character class that has missile weapons, steeling, lots of dodging/flips, light armor, poison (various effects) , back stab... * describing War Monkeys here *
    2nd; Bard character class. This seams good for CH. Lots of support cards save heals and magic based ones. Medium fighting skills and defenses. Non attack/ low damage type magic.
    3rd; Paladin character class. Close support, protection, and buff/debuff cards. Heavy fighter but with restrictions to movement and a low weapon choice.
    4th; Monk character class. Special skills like a ninja but with fewer weapons. Has special hand to hand cards.

Balance ideas for the Fighter. Less weak attacks; go to Rogue and Bard. Less command cards; these go to the paladin and bard.
    For Cleric. Less weapon attacks. More special holy attack/ debuff cards.
    For Wizard. Less weapons. More spells.

Race suggestions.
    1st; Halfling or Hobbit. Scuttle as basic movement. Also reflexive teleport and teleport self as special race move.
    Some Rogue skills but no Bow cards. Some spells but nothing mayor. Some fighting skills and cleric stuff. Simply put, a jack-of-all-traits.
    More "Good" races could be Pixie (large size) and Centaur as a "clumsy" large tank like unit.

12. Forestal

Forestal Mushroom Warrior

Really? You mean like the way we unreservedly entered the Gladiatorials for fame and fortune? Or the way we plainly plundered and murdered Lord Stafford for his treasures? Or the way Priest classes have free access to Unholy Magic?

I mean, the dark side of Card Hunter is pretty much all in the Multiplayer, 8^P....

But seriously, I'd say no to "expanding" Card Hunter by going the route of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons-- my gaming group/campaign died a pretty natural death after we made the "natural" upgrade/graduation to AD&D...

Cos as other posters have pointed out, having more variety is not the same as having more distinctiveness-- compared to actual changes/variety in gameplay mechanics, having more race/classes is just a lot of busy-work for not much more than new "skins" to old race/character archetypes. E.g. having to make lots of niggling little changes/adaptations without really changing up the actual gameplay made AD&D seem like a lot of busy work compared to the days of D&D).

Meanwhile, I noticed that there are Block Missile/Projectile cards but no Missile/Projectile Weapons cards.... so there's lot of interesting possibilities for "filling-in" (vs so-called "expanding") the existing game/framework. ;^P

tolkien likes this.
  13. MagicLance

MagicLance Mushroom Warrior

Nice intervention and thats why I said "possibly". Since Card Hunter, like all other computer games, does not have infinite possibilities towards all possible actions as a real life game can produce by "bending" the rules towards a more sooting game play.
    The unholy magic is not so off considering that there is not another class at the moment to fill that space.
    By good I mean the typical "Good Guy" races and not alignment. I always disliked forced alignment play as to a simple realistic play style. EX: Kill for evil purpose and the "good" world will want your head type of play keeps players from running to wild.
    Lord Stafford is obviously not a "good" person so I suppose thats half way OK to take him out and hiring as Gladiators is a drastic way to gain fame/fortune but not evil altogether.

Classic D&D vs AD&D? My suggestions go back before AD&D even came up to the pre-1st edition even. Later I actually found playing (loosely) the AD&D game better since it simplified a lot of stuff while adding more reasonable damage/defense to the game but I must admit that things got a lot harder to survive from then on hence the "loose" lay out of the rules.
    For that true OLD D&D feeling try this game http://www.mochigames.com/games/stwalt/ This is the released beta version with bugs. We are still working on the final release for Kongregate. :D I hope that this is not considered advertisement.

Overall I think that only a Rogue character will be good to make this CH complete. That would be 4 player characters on board at the same time.
    A character rotation system could be needed then or better the choice to play with 1 - 4 characters at a time. :)

14. Sir Bobalots

Sir Bobalots Kobold

Hi, my class suggestion would be for Beastmasters and Necromancers - they would both operate in a similar way in that the 1st would summon animals and the 2nd, suprise suprise, the undead.

Each of the classes would have 1 slot dedicated to the animal/undead type (i.e. bear, cockroach, war-pig or Skeleton,zombie, etc), and 2 further slots that allowed them to control the creature. This would introduce a new dynamic, where extra players can be summoned onto the board, and if the summoned creature dies the opposing player gains 1 star (not 2 I think).

This could lead to creature on creature fights, what fun - this would also bring chops more into MP play.

Well that's pretty much the idea - the animals and zombies are already there so its not too improbable, who knows.

All the best
    Sir Bobalot

Megadestructo likes this.