Gary just outranked Mom

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by PIZZA, Dec 2, 2013.

1. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

I am sitting around 1400 on the MP boards and I just had a funny encounter with Gary. I forgot what fighting him was like, and right up to the end of the battle I didn't realize I was playing an AI, I just thought it was a new player :oops:.

Gary is/was ranked around 1004 while at the time Mom was sitting around 980. We have pummeled her into the bottom tier!

2. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

Getting constantly farmed by high rated players who don't have a human to play against. If you're above ~1500 and ever want to see another golden chest again you've gotta leave AI opponents turned on.

3. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

If high ranked players with some amount of control in their decks leave the AI on, they certainly could be the cause of this. I don't think its only way to a gold chest though...

4. This should indicate to Blue Manchu that something is going wrong with how MP functions (or doesn't function).

5. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

From the test server forum, so they know what's up.

6. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

Not that I want to spend all my time stomping 900-1100 rated players when nobody in the 1400-1700 range is around, but it's got to be better than clobbering the same gormless AI over, and over again.

7. And lets to be fair to lower ranked players. I'm currently in the 1500-1600 mark and to be honest, I've not changed a huge amount of things since I was in the 1000-1200 region. Those players are often very capable and they either don't have the same amount of time to invest or are simply lacking one or two things (be they tactical or card-based). In fact, over the past couple of days I've played more than one 17xx ranked player and the 12xx players are giving me a tougher time of it right now.

8. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

Didn't they add other AIs to the mix at some point where it wasn't just Gary and Mom?

9. Pretty sure there's one called Amy but I think it's lower ranked than Gary.

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

There's 4 ai. Gary, Melvin, Amy (I believe that was Karens initial name - that still stuck for the mp), and mom.

11. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I was just wondering the other day whether or not the AI was occasionally allowed to play against itself just for the purposes of getting their ratings into some sort of equilibrium. What do you suppose would happen if at some interval, Mom was simply allowed to beat the crap out of Gary? That's what would happen if they were matched, isn't it? She'd probably win?

12. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

With Her superior cards, she would have overwhelming odds. Gary is the first AI you face, I think his deck is similar to the starter packs. I like the idea that they play, it would be funny to spectate perhaps, but I'm sure they gave them starting elos and it has rolled on from there.

I lost to Gary the very first time I entered multiplayer with the stock starter deck, so I'm guessing this encounter was a combination of new players losing to Gary and old players beating Mom.

Flaxative and Aldones like this.
  13. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

And then we'd report her to Child Services.

Finite likes this.
  14. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Then it does seem to me like a missing piece is that they only adjust their ratings in response to us, independent of each other.
    That said, with the way that map rotation seems to work, it's fair to say that every dog could have his day, and Gary might legitimately find himself sitting in a better position to be competitive, every now and then.

Flaxative likes this.
  15. cpu70

cpu70 Kobold

I like playing against Mom. She is really fast, so the matches are really short.
    And you get to the golden chest with much ease.

But I really would like to see more AI opponents.
    (Maybe an AI opponent with 4 team members? That would be interesting...)

16. At aprox 1600 rank I've today played both Amy and Gary, but not Mom!

Flaxative likes this.
  17. Manikal

Manikal Kobold

Ran into Mom yesterday. Mom ran 3 warriors, had Perfect Block and Almighty Hack. I was testing a 3 wizard setup and was destroyed quickly. Was around 1200 rating when we clashed.

18. LudicSavant

LudicSavant Mushroom Warrior

I think the best solution would be the following:

First, players above a certain rank (say, 1500) cannot face AI opponents. Either that or AI opponents cannot face enemies a certain rank above *themselves,* so that the system naturally and automatically manages the win rate of the AIs to be fairly consistent.

Second, players of high enough rank that they cannot face AI opponents get improved chest rewards (less wins for better loot), since a win requires significantly more time and effort.

19. i was just wondering whether the AI would have a score like our's that would go up and down based on the outcome of their games with humans. this confirms that it does! so cool! well done BM!

however, i would expect a range or a minimum ranking for the AI. Gary using the starter deck ranking higher than mom is just strange. it seems that we can use a few more AI at higher levels so that the AI loses will even out.

20. LudicSavant

LudicSavant Mushroom Warrior

It would be no simple task to create an AI that could beat a high level player with any degree of consistency without simply having blatantly unfair "IWIN" button cards created for that express purpose. I am not sure the devs would be up for that. As is, this game has really abysmal AI intelligence (heck, they still do absurd things that would be really easy to fix, like attacking invulnerable guys).