Guide: Want 1300-1500 MP Rating?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pilgrim Bailey, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Honestly nimble strike could deal 1 damage instead of 6 and still be eminently playable. The "free" dash is ridiculous card (and tempo) advantage.

2. I'm just auto-quitting vs 2x priest 1x warrior when they nimbus warrior and I see nimble strikes now. There isn't a point in playing these matches. If I end up at 1k rating, even better. Games will be much funnier.

3. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Huh... neither do I have such items you refer to nor do I play such team comps... maybe that is the reason why I Ioose so badly in MP. ;)

Serious Question though: Do I need one of those Cookie Cutter Builds to get a foot into the MP World or is it just the "easy way to go"?

I am not that much a fan of those predefined Builds and like to find my own way - despite the fact that I am a real real bad Tactician and/or Strategist. Really Bad... worse... than useless. ^^*
    But if you say that you'll have a very limited chance to succeed in MP when you are not using one of those Builds than I am not sure if I should even try to play MP. :/

Okay... hopefully you understand what I am trying to say. I am a bit overtired and my knowledge of the english language likes to slip away at those times. ;)

*yawn*

*cuddles*
    Sisquinanamook

€dit: See? Here is the perfect evidence that I am overtired (and a bad Strategist). Actually I do have a "Holy Trinity" pure dwarven team. But this won't help me much 'cause the Item you said is so important... well I had 3 (?) of them and sold all except one just an hour ago. Just because I didn't see the advantage in this item. Ah well that's me. *considering going to bed early today*

Pokemath likes this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's just an easy way to go. Abusing drawspam is definitely a key part of being in the top 10, but you can make 1300+ with a wide variety of party compositions and item builds just by playing well :)

5. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

You don't need one of these cookie cutter builds. In fact, this whole post is just elegant satire that explains exactly what is wrong with the metagame at the 1300-1500 level (and which cards and items are the real problems here). My recommendation is: make your own fun build and resign immediately if you see a team with two or more dwarf priests on it. That's what I do and I still have fun playing card hunter despite the badly broken card draw metagame right now. If possible stay below 1300 rating for the most fun games.

Note: resigning immediately will add an extra 5 minutes to your "waiting for next player" timer in which you won't be able to match up with anyone. So if you decide to resign immediately, open a webcomic or something in another tab and do something else while you wait :). Trust me, it takes longer than 5 minutes to lose to one of these draw priest teams, so you still save time.

Bearson Onyx and Flaxative like this.
  6. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Okay I should really go to bed. Haven't seen the Satire in the first post.
    And staying below the 1300 rating shouldn't be that much of a problem for me. :)
    Resigning immediately... huh... I don't know if I like that. But I'll see if I should ever encounter such a team and start to loose the fun in the game... I think I'll consider this option sooner or later.

7. Its meant to be humorous, possibly satirical, but you can interpret everything said in my original post literally. Every strategy I linked will work and be successful, and contrary to what you've typed, you don't actually need skill to make any of these strategies get you at least to 1300.

It sounds like the only impediment you have right now is lacking the required items, but you can do a handy cardhunter wiki search, find where they drop or where you can buy them, and just bide your time until you can farm them or get lucky enough in Randomar's (SP intentional) to get it.

8. Spheyr

Spheyr Kobold

I got to 1492. So close. Now I've pretty much given up chasing rank. Lacking the item means I don't get any first turn kills. It's okay. I probably wouldn't get first turn kills anyway with only 1 priest.

9. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Thought I'll share this, taken from MP chat: "sad win but a win - priest vs priest timeout"

I really don't know where you're aiming with this. You're not trying to shame the exploiters nor try to be different, as you're exploiting too. You're not trying to help since dev's are already aware of all of this and are working on it (it takes time, since it's a ccg made by a small team, so no surprises there). In the meantime however, you definitely made a lot of noobs try their best to exploit and make the meta even worse at other elo rankings which previously were considered 'safe' from all of this. You don't expect to be thanked, right? Good.

I use no nimble strike and play without priests just for the sake of not abusing the obvious broken mechanics and still manage to stick around 1400. If you want to go higher than that be prepared for drawdecks uber warrior / firestorm crap.

10. If it were an exploit, the devs would be encouraging people to not use it, or they would hotfix it. As they've chosen not to do either of these things, other than to say that it is being looked at, I assume that using these strategies is fair game for the moment.

You call people "noobs" I call them "people not using the strategies that players are already using to get high rating". Do you really think in this game that generally rating is reflective of some superior ability to play the game well? By your own logic, I could take a player with a 1650 rating, call them a pro, and call you average or a noob for only having been 1400. That's not fair to you, nor is it accurate to say that players with 1650 rating are pros.

Hopefully this guide lets a bigger percentage of the playerbase know how to successfully raise their rating. This should result in higher players losing more rating as the playing field becomes somewhat leveled, and lower rated players no longer remaining at lower elo because they aren't privy to the tactics and strategies that higher rated players are using.

To remain in the spirit of the original post, I leave you with this quote: "Knowing is half the battle."
    [​IMG]

spacedust likes this.
  11. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Well, I got news for you - assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups. What did you expect them to say? Obviously people would do the opposite if they said "Please don't use this exploit while we repair the game balance". Doesn't it come as a surprise to you that all we know comes from the forums/MP chat rather than from an announcement on the front page? They, in the contrary to you, didn't want EVERYONE to know that's the only way to go in high elo game and at least pretend the game isn't broken while they're repair it. Hotfix a CCG? Have you ever seen a hotfix in CCG? And potentially introduce twice as many problems or make a mechanic completely obsolete? What were they supposed to say to all these people who bought these items for real money "oh yeah, btw. we kinda need to cancel these for now?". Just because Blue Manchu didn't come up with a PROPER fix to the situation yet it doesn't mean you can go on calling it fair.

Whoever prefers to use an obviously broken mechanic rather than come up with an equally competitive build of their own is a noob in my book. The rest is your logic, not mine. So please, don't try to sell your thoughts as mine.

In other words:
    Hopefully this guide lets a bigger percentage of the playerbase know how to successfully build a exploiting card draw deck. This should result in even more people exploiting card draw decks, and lower rated players no longer remaining at lower elo because they can now exploit as the higher rated players do.

You don't care of course, as you're exploiting too, but some of us on purpose stayed away from high elo games. Now we won't find interesting game anymore, since even <1300 will be filled with card draw.

12. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

*pokes head in*

Pilgrim Bailey likes this.
  13. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I don't want a high rating, I want faster games.

14. betodeth

betodeth Kobold

15. Bearson Onyx

Bearson Onyx Goblin Champion

@pilgrim bailey - I definitely understand this post, as I appreciate all of your input in other posts regarding and around this subject, as someone who is also enthusiastic about the game and wants to see it get better I totally understand what you're trying to do, you spend your free time in an almost daily manner and want the meta game to finally change because of what you (and pretty much everyone including myself) deem "broken".
    I would however suggest a bit more patience, as even in triple A games bugs and balance issues take time, sometime alot since you wanna try to do it right the first time and not constantly make changes.

@dmar314 - I run 2 priest and don't use a single charm (2nd or otherwise), I would think atleast waiting 1 or two minutes to see if any nonsense goes on first. auto resigning seems a bit harsh...

@elshafto - don't have VP and I've been hanging on the upper side of 1400's, lower side of 1500's.
    I agree VP is a definite game changer since I had one in beta, your warrior is like a homing missile with that thing if you know what you're doing.

Flaxative likes this.
  16. The Mask Makers

The Mask Makers Mushroom Warrior

Wow this thread explains why I suddenly run into a lot of draw decks since a few days ago.

Yeah definitely takes the fun out of the game for me...

17. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, I understand the frustration behind this thread - but I'm not sure I can agree with the method. While the current draw is not an exploit, actively causing people to use it as an act of forcing the devs to act faster - isn't really something I agree with, hence some of the hostile reactions you might be getting. This is a moral mine field if I ever saw one.

The devs are working on this. Does this thread help in any way? No.

piotras likes this.
  18. Shalcker

Shalcker Kobold

I think draw deck domination is overblown.

Do they exist? Yep.
    Are they not fun for other side once they start rolling? Yep.
    Do they dominate 1300-1500? Not at all.
    I've played enough in that range, and i see classic warr-mage-priest or warr-warr-priest way more often then draw. And when i (rarely) encounter draw, i beat it at about 50% rate - it's definitely not instant win.

Draw gets good rounds 1/2? They can win... but that actually happens about as often as me using WWE and killing one of them turn one. If they get to turn 3 they are often too hurt to be dangerous if they don't finish it right there. Turn 4-5? They start dying from self-damage (with some help) and run out of nimbuses.

WW/WWE comes up for me in any round? Draw gets scattered and usually cannot reassemble fast enough without losing one or two team members. It's far from being all-winning deck.

Pokemath likes this.
  19. The Mask Makers

The Mask Makers Mushroom Warrior

I think they dominate the 1500-1700 range.

20. Shalcker

Shalcker Kobold

1500-1700 is about 40 people total though, and not everyone plays draw even there.