[Feedback] Kobold encampment fails with only one character death?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Aldones, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

As I sometimes do when I want some extra gold, I did a quick farming run of low level adventures. Reaching the Kobold Encampment, I got a bit carried away with some self-destructive firestorming and combustable traits and lost my wizard in the first turn. Normally this wouldn't really matter much since my other two characters were more than enough to wrap things up in the next turn.
    The problem was that this one death triggered a failure state and the battle ended.

"Derr?" was my exact reaction. Am I doing a no party death quest somehow?

I think that the fact that this adventure was designed for my one warrior, who was originally alone, may be having a detrimental effect to the low level adventures. It seems that a single death is all it takes to trigger a defeat, and although that's totally avoidable if you're aware that it's an enforced rule (it's not like that battle is hard or anything), this is totally different from the way the majority of the game works, and there is no disclaimer on this mission anywhere that explains that the rules for victory are unique like this. As a result, it comes across as frustrating and unfair.
    Just wanted to let you know my feelings about that. It's rare in this game to experience something that isn't difficult, but feels unfair. Usually it's really difficult, but completely fair.

2. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

How many victory points is Gary allowed to have to win? That may be the trigger, and it should be visible in the top left corner.

If it's just a scripted loss, though, then that is indeed something that should be looked at.

3. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Crud, I can't check now because I've got it completed. Is there one star? That would reduce my argument from "This feels unfair," to simply "This feels really weird".

Edit: Wait, you've got to be right. I'm sure the first run through would have been just as weird if Gary's victory condition was 3 stars and you only had one character. :)
    Still, that feels wrong somehow. I wonder if the mission shouldn't update it's star requirement slightly as your roster grows during your initial SP campaign? That would feel right to me.

4. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Your avatar is appropriate :p But the mouse somehow survived and bit you!

5. progammer

progammer Ogre

Regardless of star, if you can wipe every opponent's monster, you win immediately. The opposite is true for AI.

6. voltorocks

voltorocks Kobold

this seems correct, as when you first play this mission you will only have one character recruited!