And Lo! There Was Card Rarity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

And lo! There was a link:

http://www.cardhunter.com/2012/10/card-rarities-2/

Looks like fun. Well, not "fun" in the practical sense because (as they acknowledge) the practical use of a card may or may not be defined by rarity; but it's reassuring to understand the underlying rarity system.

. . . Was that the least comprehensible way I could say that?

Ystin likes this.
  2. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Any idea if that trait item is something you have to find or your dwarf just GETS at a certain level ? Because if its found it would be nice if it had a sort of random set of racial skills and not the same everytime. Possible gold sink, re-rolling the cards on a given racial/item.

Also, this
    [​IMG]

3. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

Mm, look at all those new cards.

4. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

Indeed. A wealth of new cards has been revealed to us. I like how weapons can have a higher rarity than rare, and wonder if they reach farther then Epic.

5. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

Possibly Legendary, or even Unique!

But in truth, the naming scheme is mostly just for organization--it might be that Epic is the top of the line and full of amazing card suites. Those Path Of Knives look nice!

Ystin likes this.
  6. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

I noticed in the Keyword box that instead of the card's source item, it instead repeats the card name. Is this an error?

7. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Whups, looks like a bug to me. I'll check it out.
    Ta.

EDIT: Fixed! :D

Ystin likes this.
  8. Sir Knight

The answer, I believe, is back in the Skills and Talents dev diary. Interestingly, the exact item in question was back there, too:

[​IMG]

9. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I wonder what the definition of "Stealthy" is? It can't be my first reaction: are you not going to notice when your figurine swaps places?

Gary: Look out, there's someone behind you!
    You: Where?!
    Gary: It was just my mom passing in the hallway, never mind.
    You: Hey, did you touch my Dwarf?
    Gary: Nooo, of course not. My turn, right?

Hm, maybe that comes close after all. There could be cards other than Traits that don't end your turn.

Timaeus and Ystin like this.
  10. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

I wouldn't be surprised if they just straight up cribbed the World of Warcraft quality scale: Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic and Legendary.

The item that you got for beating the first stage of the demo was always Legendary, so we know that exists at least. :)

Ystin and Jon like this.
  11. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

My guess is that there are certain cards/keywords that are reactions - Block and Armor being the two notable ones we know of. Stealthy probably bypasses those.

12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

So based on the blog, cards only go up to Rare. The Epic item has 2 Rare cards, so Legendary item must have 3 Rare cards... At least that's my guess.

13. keg4

keg4 Kobold

The level of rarity after "Legendary" could be Bacontastic. (That's right it's hot pink) You know just saying.

14. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Stealthy isn't that powerful. It's a fairly minor effect which means that the target doesn't turn to face you when you hit them. It can work really well with flanking though as it means you can keep beating on them without them being able to block (unless they have a move card in hand).

15. Sir Knight

Oh, okay. So it's on Maze as a technicality: if you give a character some random facing, you'd really like it if that character didn't automatically turn to face you afterward.

And so we see the one problem with a computer-based game. It's awesome and all to have the computer take care of play rules instead of the players; the downside is that the computer has no intuition for when it's being dumb and applying rules badly (here, ruining the random facing). So, programmers have to spend lots of time putting in every little thing like this to limit "dumbness."

16. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Pretty much exactly correct.

I would say though that it's kind of awesome to have the computer blindly applying the rules. It really helps discover places where you didn't think through the full consequences of the way you designed something.