Lowbie Damage Sponge

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Avarice, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Rather than clutter the Legendaries thread --

I got Duncan's Leather Cap a couple of nights ago. I thought it might be fun to make a damage sponge build based around that item. Without getting into Legendaries or too many gold tokens, what else would compliment that cap?

Parrying Buckler, Dueler's Buckler, maybe something else rare or epic I'm not thinking of...

And what armor?

2. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Well, there are some armours with high damage absorption (4 or even 5) but requiring a high roll. So these seem kind of a natural fit for the harnesses.

3. progammer

progammer Ogre

It does not improve rolls of Block, just Armor. Solid Mail and Thickened Mail are your best armor. If possible, stack officer's Harness for the long run battle.

4. Sam Jones

Sam Jones Mushroom Warrior

Officer's Harness would be idea. I'm really liking Heavy Plate. It activates on a 2 or better, so you'd often end up with a reliable four point damage absorption.

Most often, these harnesses don't seem that good to me. The count as part of the cards you can keep from turn to turn, so you can only keep one of these harnesses and one armor. Your magic harness makes your thickened mail block an average of 1.33 damage a turn, but thickened mail would do the same thing.

Sometimes you'll draw a lot of armor, and for those rounds, these harnesses would be lifesaver. To take advantage of that, you'd want pure armor armor and armored boots.

Also, if you're going to be hit with lots of little attacks (weaker wizards, goblins, cockroaches), good armor that always works is better than great armor that usually works. (e.g. heavy plate averages 3.33 damage blocked and the leather harness brings that up to 4. On the mean, that's not as good as thickened mail's 1.33 average, but if you're going to be hit by 18 four-point attacks, you take an average of 8 points with the thickened mail but a certainty of 0 points with the harness).

Also, it's good with spiked mail. You make it better at blocking damage and you make it do more damage.

5. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Does there exist a spreadsheet with all of the items and their associated cards? I've been using the wiki search to look for armored boots, but the function is ponderous.

I'd also like to be able to keep track of what I have relative to what exists in the game.

6. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

We need to attract more programming nerds to card hunter, so they can give us nice toys like that.
    I'm personally fantasizing about a detailed deck breakdown, it would be so useful to see all the stats for my deck. Total cards, counts of each card type (how many blocks, armor, traits, etc), drawing power, or I would even settle for just having the deck list written out in a sortable fashion.

7. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

I can copy and paste out of the wiki for the info. I was just hoping somebody could save me some time. Oh well, here we go... Shouldn't take too, too long.

8. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I'm sorry to hear this. I presume by wiki search, you mean the item search form. May I know how exactly is the search failing ? and how should it be improved ?

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Do you mean like that presented in the wiki starter packs ? eg: Adventurers

edit: Alternatively, you can hit F1 to open the console. You can hit F1 a second time to see full history. Type either "partybbcode" or "partyanddecksbbcode" (without quotes) and hit enter. The first one will get your entire active item list into the clipboard. The second will get the item list and all the cards that come from them. Then paste into a forum post.

progammer likes this.
  10. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

The wiki is very nice actually. It's not failing at all, it's a great resource. I think my main issue with using it for what I was trying to do today is that it will only display 30 results at a time. (At least as far as I can tell.)

I was looking for boots with armor cards on them. If I were to do that in the wiki I'd either have to call up all the boots, then look through six pages ("what was that back on page 2, and how does it compare this one on page 4?"), or search the other direction by checking out each armor card and see if it occurs on boots.

Dropping all of the data into a spreadsheet also allows me to use the data filters. Basically, I took all of the cards associated with each item and concatenated them into one column. Then I can filter that column for what I'm looking for, either a specific card, or whatever combination of cards I'm interested in.

In a related note, I've been trying to wrap my head around how the devs have chosen item "cost" -- level, token requirements, and rarity, and the different cards associated with each condition. (As an example, I can look at every piece of equipment that has exactly "X" instances of a particular card, and see what the other associated cards do to the item "cost". Then I can look at "Y" instances of a card and compare it to "X" instances and see what that does. Not rocket science, but it helps me get a better idea of how the devs weight individual cards.) I can actually *see* it, and I can flip through different permutations quickly with excel.

Really, the explanation above is just a long-winded way of saying that it's how I feel comfortable looking at it.

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

ok, I understand now. Thank you for the feedback. It is actually possible to get all the raw results using a special semantic search. However, the usage is not straightforward. hrmm...

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

A downloadable version of the item spreadsheet would be great. What I'd like to do is get a list of all items sorted by type, level, and rarity so I can compare with my notes to check which ones I have and have not seen yet (I think I'm currently just missing Shoulderspike Mail from < lv 12 non-treasure commons and uncommons). Oh, and it seems something broke and the wiki has been unreachable for the past several hours.

13. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Yeah, the spreadsheet without hyperlinks would be great. I'd assume you could imbed that on a page easily enough, though I'm not a web guy.

Btw, Ding! Bertha's Big Clogs

Not really ideal, but still fun.

14. Rack

Rack Kobold

I've got something vaguely similar going on with Corian's Boots Officer's Harness seems to help the most since it's hard to stack more armor.

15. Bearson Onyx

Bearson Onyx Goblin Champion

Oh man, you can negate alot of damage with that item and some Officer's Harness, like other people mentioned here. gonna keep a Shredding Strike on my warrior especially for you:p