Why trading are bad: Diablo III edition.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by thatprogrammerguy, Sep 19, 2013.

1. So as I was looking in to see if Cardhunter had a trading system planned as I was hoping to track down a piece of equipment, I read about how trading ultimately undermines the economy and direction of the game, which I agree with of course.

It just so happens however that I received an e-mail from Blizzard stating the the auction house for Diablo III is going to be closing.
    So, what do you think is going on with player markets? One of the biggest a in-game/real-life money auction houses is going to be closing! What do you think about this? What do you think would be an optimal trade system that both dissuades farming and power-leveling but allows players an easier way of acquiring things they're looking for?

2. Planeswalker

Planeswalker Kobold

Wow interesting, I just learned this from you. I haven't been playing Diablo 3 for a while. Removing auction house is a big decision to make considering the effort they've made to get it running. They're gonna improve the drop rates on expansion so that would make the AH overflowed with items. Maybe it's for the best.

Especially the hard-core mode characters are gonna have a tough time. I gave hard-core a try because the basic game was not much of a challenge. Hard-core AH prices can get really steep anyways. Now its really gonna be a challenge even at the early levels.

3. Aviar

Aviar Kobold

I read this the other day and it really didn't surprise me. I played Diablo 3 a ton when it first came out and really enjoyed it, but got burnt out on it rather quickly. The difficulty ramped up so much in the 4th play through on the hardest difficulty the game wasn't even fun, even with good gear. I quickly lost interest in the game and moved on. I've heard it has since gotten much easier. I've also heard that the console versions have a much higher drop rate for really good loot since they were not released with an AH.

They are basically trying to clean up a mess before the release of the new expansion which I'm not to sure I will even go back to play.

4. Il_Nero

Il_Nero Kobold

i'm an old school player, i've played Diablo 1 & 2 and i think that a real money auction house was one of the fearsome idea someone could have, a shameless idea by someone wish to make more money than the ones granted by theirs real works...
    if we really consider the overwelming DLC way of game-making the ruining of our favorite art ('cause i consider videogame something very near to art) that notice is a good news, surely more than the opening of the auction house.
    just my two euros... :p

5. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

If you can't trade items then you can't steal from people too.

6. Boris

Boris Kobold

Trading would also make the game a target for gold farmers. Would you like to see the chat spammed with "CHEAPEST GOLD CARDHUNTERGOLD <DOT> COM" or similar?

7. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

The cynical side of me has to wonder if the real reason Blizzard is closing the auction house down is because they keep running into issues with hacking and/or the theft of personal information. I've also heard speculation that they don't want people farming Diablo items for blizzard currency or whatever system they use to go spend on Hearthstone instead of spending real money on it.

That said though, a no-trade system can definately work better if it's done right, for sure.