[Suggestion] Pizza Loot?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by actionjack, Oct 6, 2013.

1. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

What about be able to earn pizza as a loot?

Granted, it should be like a rare (or at least uncommon) item, and dropped randomly.
    Giving player one or two slices here and there won't really help buying stuff, but might encourage player to join the club and such.

What ya think?

2. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

150 allows you to try out all of the perks (except club membership, which you can see the reward for), without giving away much more than a sample. Allowing you to get up to 300 without paying would discourage people from paying rather than encouraging them to. It would also prevent you from trying out a treasure hunt or costume or extra MP deck, and make a lot of people pretty unhappy if they followed Gary's advice and spent any of it before getting to 300.

While I'm sure it would be nice for players who haven't paid anything to get more pizza, I don't think it makes sense to.

3. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

I agree that you don't want to give out too much free pizza but at the same time it would be nice if you could potentially earn more. Maybe you could give a small chance for like 5 pizza to appear for sale in randimars rarities

4. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

A lot of other F2P card games have been gravitating more and more towards giving away premium content. If you've ever played Warmetal: Tyrant, for example, a lot of packs used to be premium only, but not only are all of them now earnable for free, they've started giving away premium currency regularly and in reasonable quantity. You could speculate why they've chosen to do this, but I guarantee they wouldn't do it if it was losing them money.

That said, Card Hunter is a little different from most of those. There's no equipment that's premium-only, and there's a lot more that's available for free than most of those other games offer. Perhaps more importantly, Card Hunter has an emphasis on single player that those other games don't have.

I don't know, I'd certainly like some free pizza. ::shrug::

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

We just had a contest that gave away 1000 pizza for the top prize, 300 each to two finalists, and 100 pizza to everyone who entered. My prize was spent buying the rest of the female elf figures.

6. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Ugh, bunk. Really wish they had put that in the announcements forum. First I've heard of it.

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

No worries, they've already said they're doing more of them - and this was a test run, so expect some more bells and whistles next time. Unknown if prizes et c will be different of course.

8. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

Yay I can redeem myself. My computer crashed while I was making my submission for the last one and I lost all motivation.

9. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

There are also supposed to be MP tournaments coming, which could potentially have pizza (or just about anything) as a reward.

10. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

Awww, how come MP gets all the love :(

11. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

How are you going to have an SP tournament?

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've suggested having daily featured dungeons that give an extra reward the first time you beat it while it's featured.

And we'll soon see a Mauve Manticore dungeon which will have battles that change each month; the first set of battles will be the contest winners. I don't know if there will be any special prizes there.

Phaselock likes this.
  13. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

A rare chest for doing the special dungeon wouldn't be out of line as a reward. What would be really nice is if it was the same rare chest that you get for PvP, with the same progression. That way you're not forced into one or the other, you can choose.

14. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

I think the daily reward was the topic of the first thread I ever made, all those years ago... or like a month ago.
    Where did you hear about the Mauve Manticore dungeon?

On topic, maybe instead of giving out pizza for free they could make some of the pizza only stuff available for a ridiculous amount of gold. Like 10k gold for a treasure hunt or something; out of reach for most people but if you really want it and you are really unable to spend money then you can eventually earn it.

15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that's not been said in any official statement anywhere - might still be what's going to happen though. Kinda funny considering I even posted a meta story about my contest entry being from that said publication...

16. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

Well.. in the suggestion, the pizza slice loot would still be pretty rare.
    I see it acting more as a "teaser" (like you give a kid 25 cent free, but dangle a comic book in front of him that cost a dollar)
    And in some respect, could see it a disadvantage, as likely the 10 or 40 gold treasure loot you might of gotten could be of more use.

still.. the illusion of that you are earning something "worthy" could still be powerful.

On side notes...
    I am said didn't enter the contest. Know about it and got in too late. Hope will have time for next one.
    I got a idea of daily dungeon-ish too... like a Daily Bounty. Might post some idea on that in another thread.

17. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

They are stealing your ideas!

You could always trade the pizza for gold

18. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

The club membership reward teases me enough already, thank you. :)
    One of the things I've admired about this game so far is that it doesn't exhibit any of the standard practices that make free-to-play games just seem shameless.

I'f we're suggesting that pizza income become possible to the point that it actually feels like a reasonable and fun objective for a member of the non-paying community to shoot for, then I'd support it, sure. The game already does this with a couple handouts and I was grateful. It was carefully worded in such a way that I definitely felt like I was receiving a reward, and not simply being tempted by the big bad pizza drug dealer.

But if it's intentionally designed to do nothing more than simply tease me more regularly, or worse, take priority away from actual loot that I'd find practical and fun, then no thank you. I'd just end up resenting the game immensely if I had a low probability random chance of winning 2 slices instead of a uncommon treasure, as an example. I've seen it in other games I've played, and that tiny bit of free currency seldom goes anywhere or is useful for anything, but it nags you, or even compels you to try farming it, which ends up making you play so much that you burn out, rather than stay a healthy and happy customer.

19. ChosenUndead

ChosenUndead Mushroom Warrior

Guises, War Metal is a social game on the facebook platform. Cardhunter, on the otherhand, has been in development since July 14th 2011, which means that compensation for developing an independent engine running on html took much more time and effort then releasing for casual gamers was for synapse.

20. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Pal, I know that probably wasn't your intention, but that's a very wrong image you pictured there.

I will openly say I'm 100% against giving out free pizza in-game. Regardless of how much rarely such an occurrence is supposed to happen.

You can basically obtain every item in the game without spending a dime, so it's not like pizza is functional to playing the game in any meaningful way. Pizza is just what it is, a way for people who like the game to support its devs while getting something good in return.

Contests, on the other hand, are a great way to hand out generous amounts of pizza. I think this is a much, much better way to approach this, as contests are a very effective way to promote actual community involvement and, as a result, to entice more people into becoming proactive users.

Giving out pizza randomly via chests, lotteries or whatever other ingame reward system, on the other hand, is like shooting in the dark. Chances are the few slices you are giving away are going to some random fella who could likely only play the game for a bunch of weeks only to leave never to return afterwards.

I think the game does a very good job of handing out enough pizza for the new player to very well get what he is going to be in if he can/want to spend money on it. And showing the club reward to those who can't subscribe already is somewhat of an irritating thing to some. So, why would you want to further tease the user into buying more pizza? Which leads into my final argument.

Blue Manchu managed to craft a rare gem. When it comes to the game, I feel happy about purchasing pizza solely because CH actually is an high-quality experience well worth being supported. Not one more skinner box which has been scientifically designed to tease me into opening my wallet as soon as the next shiny unicorn sword of overpower is released to the real money store.

So, nope. I truly respect and admire BM for not pushing their hand too much when it comes to actively luring people into buying pizza. I hope things remain this way.

turinturamba likes this.