New Maps :-(

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Macsimus, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Macsimus

Macsimus Kobold

While I appreciate new maps and continued innovation the new maps are WAY to gimmicky. They highly favor movement, and the one map if you play mages you might as well surrender(0 line of sight and no where to run). I suggest at least mixing in the old maps with the new ones to give it better balance.

2. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

There is no one right answer for MP parties. You can still build mages for these types of maps, you just can't expect to use the same type of mages as you would use on more open maps.

The different strategic needs of the various maps helps to keep the MP metagame from becoming stagnant. Rather than add the maps to what would become an ever increasing map set, they swap them in. The larger the map set, the smaller the impact any specific map could have on gameplay. Swapping in these small map sets keeps MP interesting and ever changing, which also keeps people playing and looking for more items.

Expect new maps sets too eventually replace these as well, meaning if you don't like them now just wait a couple of weeks and it will change again.

3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Mushroom Warrior

Please get rid of these new maps ASAP, they are all terrible and really killing the MP fun. I can see what you were trying to do with them, but the whole LoS/movement theme is WAY overdone and makes navigating these maps nothing but a pain in the arse and a stallfest. Personally, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to keep playing MP as long as these maps are in place.

4. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

Koi Pond absolutely blows. Way too mage-favoring. Too big, take too long to get to the only CP, and that CP is way too exposed. It seriously feels like whoever made this has learned nothing from all the previous maps.

5. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

I dont like the Koi Pond, and it seems i always end up playing there :p. the rest of maps are ok. we jsut need adjust and create new strategies. keeps the game fresh

6. I don't like any of them from a gameplay perspective. They look great however.
    Kai Pond obviously has issues. The one with the four victory squares in the middle has basically zero possibilities for maneuvering, which makes for very boring gameplay. The one with four separate squares has the problem that there is no real incentive to advance. Both sides take two victory points and then what? Spend a lot of movement and hope you have better cards than the opponent I guess.

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

What if we had two sets of maps active at any time? For example:
    Crypt + Arena -> Arena + Celestial -> Celestial + ???

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  8. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

I always assumed something like this would happen after beta was done. More maps in rotation please.

9. progammer

progammer Ogre

I gotta agree with the criticism that Koi is the worst contender in this round of maps. (The others seems fine imo). The map is too restricted in terms of movement. 4 pillars isn't enough line of sight restriction and any wizard has free reign over the entire map almost all the time. For melee, the map seems to heavily favor Sprint. Whoever sprinted to the victory point first secure at least 2 stars if the opponent do not have any answer card for the first turn.

I'll say the good thing about Koi though, it promotes a previously underused mechanic: Teleport and Fly

10. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

Koi Pond and Lions are both pretty awful. One is too open, the other two closed.

I suppose it balances out in a sense, but I'd still. Bleh.

11. Questor

Questor Ogre

the annoying thing is, that the old ones are not in rotation anymore

12. Bearson Onyx

Bearson Onyx Goblin Champion

I can understand perhaps the need for testing and feedback which is the sole reasoning I can see for running a single themed set. however what I'm saying (and from looking at previous replies I'm not the only one) is that we would appreciate mixing other maps into rotation sooner rather then later. with the amount of players currently playing there should be sufficient feedback in a relatively short amount of time.
    btw the art is really nice, the new tokens look amazing as well. wonder how long before I'm tempted to spend some pizza on one :D

13. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Koi's issue is that you can be 2 squares away from someone, but over 10 squares of movement away from them. It's absurd to play as melee on that map.

14. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

I enjoy the new maps (even Koi!).
    But my 2 cents would be that there would be many maps in rotation at any given point.
    Oh well, I'll leave it up to the devs.

15. progammer

progammer Ogre

As I said, it promote Fly and Teleport :) More diversity is always good.

16. Aiven

Aiven Orc Soldier

I think the new maps are ok, but I think a 3 map rotation is way too little. I'd much prefer to have all the multiplayer maps in rotation all the time. 3 maps gets boring quick.

Kilopip likes this.
  17. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Mushroom Warrior

Actually I pretty much like Koi best of the new maps, the one that I loathe with the burning passion of a thousand suns is Lions. PLEASE NEVER design another map that encourages turtling. It's not strategic; it's boring and frustrating.

That map used to be an instant resign from me until the implemented the longer wait times after resigning (thanks for that, btw, brilliant idea... NOT). Now I just move all my chars to the enemy warrior and pass until I'm dead, a lot quicker and less painfull that way.

Can we get a dev comment on how long these ****ing stupid new maps are gonna stay in place please. They completely take the fun out of MP. Seriously, I cannot stress this enough, They are absolutely ****ing AWFUL, please get rid of them. Thank you.

18. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I like that different sets of maps favour different kinds of strategies, and I think it's a good idea to have the maps come in relative small sets like this so that the map differences can be properly appreciated and planned for. I think changing the map set gives players a good reason and motivation to rethink and redesign their PvP decks. Deck building is a fun and important part of the game but without map changes it's pretty temping to just find a good PvP build that works and then stick with it.

If there was just one big pool of different maps, players couldn't adjust their deck to suit the maps and so half the point of having those maps would be lost.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  19. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Kinda hard to say, I managed to lost first 5 matches at the new maps which was unusual. Koi Pond is definetely interesting, might be bit hard for warriors that aren't prepared. Investing major token for helmet and/or boots might be bit much.

And dojo just looks boring with all grey tiles.

Completely agree with this.

20. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

I think maps should rotate in 2 sets. 3 old, 3 new. Then every 2 weeks or w/e you drop the old, and add 3 new ones.