The Most Underrated Card: Flanking Move.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Nim, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

[​IMG]
    This guy, right here.​
    I have no idea why I don't see a ton more of these. Let's us review;​
    A. It's cheap and doubles as a cantrip 99% of the time. Cheap it good, It comes as a two of on any number of low level epic and legendary boots. No need to pay a pesky gem to have a pair of boots worth a damn.​
    2. It allows you to combo from out of LoS. Like any other Cantrip yes, but unlike some it has a decent range. Move two is often enough to round a corner and land a massive card. Doesn't work too good for warriors of course, but even they can benefit from the extra range. Giving Vicious Thrust the range of Nimble Strike has its uses.​
    D. It lets you steal priority. This is the big point, everything else before this is peanuts by comparison. When you empty your big hand into the enemy team while your opponent morosely spams pass, dreaming of what magical cards he might draw to save him from your wrath. More than once you've gotten an enemy below five health only to run dry, leaving the other guy with the fleeting hope that at least he gets first pick of the next six plus cards. Flanking Move will kill that hope by thieving away the first move when a fresh round begins. I swear I can hear veins popping in foreheads whenever end a turn with one.​
    In closing, if you don't plan to use a gem in your boot slot and are not in desperate need of moar armor then consider running as many of these little guys as you can. You won't regret it.​

2. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

That is odd, some of my post appears to have been cut off. It's still there in edit, or when I quote it, but it does not fully show in the main window.

What have I done wrong?! Your strange forum technology confuses and frightens me!

3. Spooky2

Spooky2 Kobold

I'm running Mouse Boots on my wizard in the campaign and moving out of cover to cast is quite handy.

4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I'm still a big fan of Wavering Faith.

Nim, you accidentally added the link to the "[/wiki]" command. Well, either you did or the editor did. Either way, fixed it and you're good to go!

5. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

I don't think the problem is that it's underrated; It might me more that it's mostly only found legendary and epic boots (without the token cost anyways). We don't all have that kind of loot luck :p

6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, I agree with some of the previous posters - it's a great card, but pretty rare. Also, considering its slot, it requires some build concessions. Mouse Boots are awesome though, glad I got a pair.

7. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

I have Mouse Boots as well on my wizard. Absolutely a blast to stay hidden in cover, move out with Flanking Move and unload a number of spells. In a kiting match it can make sure to give you the first/last blow most of the time.

8. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

I have these on Lt. Buckwell's Boots and it's one of those items I add before anything else in almost every build.

I would love myself some more of those or, barring that, a pair of those Mouse Boots everyone's raving about.

9. Selfish

Selfish Kobold

I have several boots with these. I believe they're Red Jon's Boots. Two of them dropped in a row and I've had them on characters ever since. Very handy.

10. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I still think stealing the pass is cheesy and unnatural and shouldn't be allowed.​

11. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Yep, great card. Especially for mages.

Sadly it competes with Hard To Pin Down so there's some though choices to be made. My mages&priests also fight over Suvv's Boots Of Escape which is perfect even with token requirement.

12. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

Without a doubt it's a great card, but there's a few drawbacks that make me not take it on boots.

First of all, it's not really a card a warrior ever wants. Warriors spend a lot of time encumbered, and any additional move cards they have should really be >2, in order to give them a way to deal with it. That's in addition to the fact that, as you mentioned, warriors generally won't get the advantage of the cantrip effect as they want to end their moves adjacent to enemies.

More importantly, is boots have a lot of really desirable cards, and Flanking Move is competing with all of them. Personally, I value Immovable much more, as not only does it make you immune to enemy cards which move you for two turns (which is HUGE - I can't tell you how many games this has won me), but it's also a trait, meaning it effectively reduces your deck size. As a result, I'm using Possessed Shoes on two of my characters, and Sticky Slippers on the third.

That's not to say I don't use Flanking Move though - I have my wizard set up with Perfect Command, which works out great because he can make the most use out of all 3 of those cards.

13. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

That has happened to me before, and it turned out to be caused by some mistyped BBCodes. ie. I had typed something like [card]flanking move[card], missing the '/' in the second tag - and that caused everything beyond that part of the post to not be shown.

14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Stealing the pass is cheesy, unnatural, and often quite helpful. It's one of those, "It's better to do unto others," things, and it works both ways. :cool:

15. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

I mean, whatever. Cheesy or not it's clearly an intended game mechanic and it's super powerful.

Pengw1n likes this.
  16. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

That card is diff to find. You're making it seem like its easy to find them and asking why no one us using them. If you're an elf, you have literally just 2 non-epic/legendary items that grants it. 1 if you're a dwarf.

Even the items you listed comes at a cost. You lose out on other potential movement cards. A 2 move + free turn is nice, but its still just a 2 move. Instead of moving 3 or 4 squares from a run/dash card on your boots, you can only move 2. the difference between 2 and 3/4 is huge, given how common encumber is. Sometimes its just more important to get the extra movement.

I personally don't feel stealing priority is cheesy in any way. Its something you fight over tactically, like positioning. Ergo, like positioning it makes sense for there to be cards that gives you a legs up in that dept.