Let's Vote & Discuss: Single or Multiplayer? Campaign progress?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pengw1n, Sep 26, 2013.

?

What is your main focus in Card Hunter?

1. Single Player Campaign

71.1%
  2. Multi Player ladder

37.3%
  3. Creating and/or playing custom content

7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Now that the game is released, it'd be interesting to know what the players (or rather players that visit the forum) are enjoying the most.

A) Are you here for the Single Player content - did you jump straight into Multiplayer as soon as you could and didn't look back? Are you really hot and heavy for the custom content?

B) How far ahead are you you in the campaign?Any interest of replaying in general - or just to beat it? Interest in the quest / challenge system?

Myself I just hit lvl 15 at a leisurely pace, beat the Riddle of the Gnomes and have stayed away from multiplayer thus far. Probably planning to dip my toes in mp when the end of the campaign seems imminent - and mess around more with the the editor, as well as start a twink party for a second playthrough.

Edit: Minor clarification re my MP status.

2. Cazliostro

Cazliostro Kobold

I'm a campaigner. I like to take my time and ponder my options... and the AI is doing just fine humiliating me on a regular basis without any tricksy humans to make me feel even worse about it.

I hope there will be more single player content added in the future... perhaps a roguelike random dungeon ladder-challenge type thing for us solo players.

3. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Undoubtedly single player. I didn't buy the treasure hunts during beta so that I could enjoy them when the game released. Currently level 11, having not had as much time as I would have liked to play. I'm looking forward to playing through the quests once I beat the campaign! I will definitely be taking a look at custom content once I've finished the campaign.

4. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Just finished the campaign. I'll do some quests before club membership runs out, and probably save rest for later when there's also new content. Oh, and I want to get atleast one party to max level (20 iirc) which will take some grinding.

Also done ~50 MP matches, assuming "results" still shows all the the matches.

5. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

I came for the campaign and stayed ... mostly for the campaign still, yeah. The campaign is a decent length with wide tactical variety and plenty of deck rebuilding. Multiplayer at the moment is very limited and by design you can't plan ahead for your opponents. It's fun enough, but I'm not likely to stick around for long each day. Haven't touched any custom content, but I probably will (and craft some myself) eventually when I've 'worn out' the official maps.

I've finished the campaign, save for a couple of treasure hunts. It was definitely challenging but still fair and a smooth experience overall - and clearly designed for a paying player. Without the treasure hunts or club membership I would have invariably been stuck without varied enough equipment, grinding the same adventures on daily timers while items were punishingly withheld from me and story characters tutorialed me through bribing my way to victory. The pay-to-win mechanics are really obnoxious in an otherwise great game, is what I'm getting off my chest here.

Anyway. The quests are a nice incentive to replay and put some of that old loot back to good use, but I was a little disappointed to find they were mostly the same for every adventure. Especially since half of them sound nigh-impossible. Oh well, can't have everything = this game in a nutshell.

6. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I play mostly single player, but I also play a few MP matches every now and then for fun.

I'm currently at level 13 since I've been playing at a relaxed pace. Once I finish the currently available content, I'll probably hit the quests again. I didn't have time to beat more than a few of them during the beta.

7. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

I enjoy the campaign, but my main focus is MP. If the campaign and quests weren't such good ways to get gear for MP, I probably would play very little PVE.

shazbot and Kilopip like this.
  8. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Been in the beta since Jan with most of the old timers ... so 9 mths of play alr, sorta 'been there done that'. :p
    Having been a gamer for the past 30 yrs or been a games tester for the past 10, I'm pretty jaded at PVP.
    I like the SP but most fascinated by the custom editor as its the way forward. When the devs find time, I'm so going to push forward a plethora of ideas for custom content. Heck, I have a list of ideas in a txt file... I guess that says smthg. :)

Also, I don't see the option in the poll...but the other event I'm also looking forward to is the endgame content. Which I believe the custom editor and the playerbase will be a huge part of.

9. Pengw1n

Agreed, endgame, coop and all that jazz (whatever the jazz turns out to be) is very interesting. I just went with what's available atm for the poll.

10. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

I personally love campaign, finished it and made twink party. I tend to grind level 15-17 adventures and some random level 7-10 adventures, which I find to be the most interesting for my particular taste. I really like PvP and want to provide some good feedback, as well as create some hard endgame custom content as people get items :)

11. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

SP only. Avoiding the MP so as not to "pollute" my inventory with MP items.

12. Lindbergh

Lindbergh Kobold

I like thoughtful PvE content. I have finished the campaign and am working my way through all the quests now.

I play with the mentality that I hunt cards so that I can solve fixed well constructed challenges.

I abhor PvP because I dislike both zero sum rewards and hate trying to solve nebulous problems. But the gold chest system makes it a better bet for card hunting than pve campaign replay or questing. I am competing there to acquire items to meet my PvE goals. (I also apologize to anyone I was increasingly bitter to last night on my 2 hour slog to my 3 game 2nd gold chest reward)

I am skeptical of custom content due to believing Sturgeon's Law/Revelation is true. A lot of us may fancy ourselves to be clever designers. A lot of us are wrong.

I would love to see Co-op PvE but am not holding my breath.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind some form of PvPvE with non zero sum rewards. Examples follow although I can think of more

1) Both players get their parties dropped on separate boards and rush to kill the computer on their board. First person to do it gets a bigger reward than the other player. (Person in second must complete to receive his reward to prevent resign abuse)

2) Both players get dropped on the same board and rush to kill the computer. Rewards are divied up based on damage done to the computer team. (Scenario must both be won and loser must meet some minimum damage threshold to receive his reward to prevent resign abuse)

Keyser likes this.
  13. progammer

progammer Ogre

I typically the guy who enjoyed SP more. But I burned out on this game's SP so quickly that I have to resort to MP to keep on playing. (This awesome game deserve to be played) It is there that I found the competitive side of me that I has never taken seriously in other games. Or maybe this is the only type of game that I can shine.

I would love to be more interested in the custom content creation too, but the customization and feature is really lacking at the moment. Terraining and decorating was never my things so I would get into it only if I could make customizable deck for monsters

So for speaking about long term, it will have to be MP

14. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Er, I like single player too but I'm not sure I follow you here. They're the same items.

15. Pengw1n

I believe Avarice means that completing the sp campaign without any loot gained from MP feels more "pure" for the way he wants to play his game. Makes sense to me.

16. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Pengw1n is correct. I want to earn (through SP) everything that I get. Receiving free starter figures with some associated "usuable" gear isn't how I want to do it. I want all of the gear to come from dungeon crawls.

I'm still torn as to whether I'm going to play pvp MP at all in this game -- Winning half the time irritates the hell out of me, and I know I don't have the time to invest to do better than that. If anything, I may be *too* competitive to enjoy ranked MP in this format.

But that's a whole 'nother thread.

17. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

I Do a bit of both. I typically play 3 MP wins/day (to get the 4 rare+ chests), and then work towards quests and SP parties
    My main group is at 19, my secondary group is at 16. I would like to eventually have 2 groups at twenty...just because :)

18. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I enjoy both the campaign and PvP alike. Haven't touched the custom content yet.

My SP party currently stands at lvl 14. Just completed the Astral Guardians series, it was so fun! I think the game does an amazing work making the player look into trying out new strategies. It's very elegant, cause you're not really forced into using a specific set of cards at any given time, and the feeling you get when coming up with a new deck/strategy and completing the (at first) seemingly impossible fights is amazing.

If the campaign, in that regard, might look like a series of puzzles, I think the MP is where the game truly shines. I still need to unlock all the cards due to my slower progress in the campaign.

Actually I'll just go to the ladder now :)

19. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

Card Hunter's PvP isn't a zero sum game; you gain items for winning and there's no penalty for losing other than ranking (which only effects who you're matched against).

20. Lindbergh

Lindbergh Kobold

I disagree, I incur a waste of time. A 20 minute match culminating in a loss is not enjoyable to me and is in my books a negative. We can argue as to whether or not that wasted time negative is equal to the positive of item gain, but there is a penalty for loss.