How do you deal with Cardhunter rage?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Eusix, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

I'll share how I deal: Poorly!

Honestly though, does anyone else get extremely frustrated with this game?
    Don't get me wrong, it's pretty much all I play lately in my free time, and I totally love the game.

But if I'm on losing streak in multiplayer and I get a bad draw of cards on my first draw and am already feeling defeated and my opponent goes "good luck and have fun", I feel like saying something I would regret.

Just curious what people think causes this game to bring such emotion?
    My guess is that it is due to how some moves feel 'unfair' by someone else moving my pieces, or the extreme bad luck of rolling ones on blocks/parrys repeatedly.

I've had many years of playing chess and in chess there are few surprises other than moves and strategy that you didn't see coming.

Anyway I just figured I'd start a thread for people to share their stories of rage or thoughts behind what drives the frustration with this game specifically.

Oh, and if you see me in game "good luck and have fun" even if I don't return the sentiment at that time. :)

2. kogi

kogi Ogre

If I am having a run of bad luck. I just close the browser pick up one of the 10 books I have bought but haven't read yet.

At the end of it, it IS a game of chance. And skill increases your chance of winning, not assure it.

3. Barkam

Barkam Mushroom Warrior

I figured if I put "hihi" in front of "gl hf" that yyou'd be compelled to say hi back no matter your bad emotions might be. :p

4. Barkam

Barkam Mushroom Warrior

To be on topic, I get on the bad tilt when I am within 4 wins from the epic chest. I rush the match and therefore make mistakes which even get me in a worse tilt. Just like kogi said, the best advise is to take a break. Lol

5. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I often don't feel like saying anything at all when playing, and sometimes I do get frustrated - at the game, at my mistakes, and at what the other person is doing... My general rule of thumb is to try not to say anything when I'm in a bad mood. If I'm on a bit of a losings streak, and my opponent draws 3 Winds Of War and 2 Obliterating Bludgeon on the first round (which did happen to me recently) - that's probably going to be frustrating for me, but the other player is probably feeling pretty good about it. So I just try to say nothing so that I don't spread the badness.

6. progammer

progammer Ogre

Blame the RNG !!! Always.
    That way I never rage the other player and never feel bad for losing (and also convince myself that the queue timer will get shorter each time I lose). Though I do get raged at quite a few times.

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Stepping away from the computer is a good suggestion when you feel like you're carrying a Raging Strike - or possibly do something productive and game related like mess around creating a custom map, or sort through your inventory.

Logan Hawkthorne likes this.
  8. ratapwnz

ratapwnz Kobold

Ofc in this case y should write FAK YA NAB MORE LUCK LOWSKILL PICE OF KOBOLD HURRR DURRR and go next.*
    *when i have played medianXL blue color was official sarcasm color, i like this idea.

9. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Last night someone used Wild Run to approach me on the first turn, then used Quick Step/Obliterating Bludgeon/All-Out Attack to kill my warrior in one hit, after the warrior missed his Parry and Block. Gotta roll with the punches.

I was reminded of when I bought the Blood Bowl PC game a couple of years back. Brand new human team. First game against the AI. Pre-game event...spectator throws a stone, which hits and kills one of my blitzers. Welcome to Blood Bowl.

Logan Hawkthorne and Pengw1n like this.
  10. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

medianXL :rolleyes: good times!

The way I deal with CH rage? I simply stop playing for a while, waiting for all the bad chemicals in my body to go away. Rage simply is a biological process, so just let it go away before jumping into MP again.

Also, definitely don 't trash talk your opponent!

Regarding raging because of bad luck, I'm actually torn. I.e. ~50% of the times after me winning a game, my opponent would blame the RNG in some fashion. I'll admit I do that as well. Blaming the RNG is quicker (and more convenient) than looking into possible holes in our strategies. I do believe a loss is more often than not determined by some blunder on the losers side, either with deck-building or during play. I guess a replay feature (kind of like the one you find in most strategy games) would help a ton in helping us realize what is that we're doing wrong.

Imho, the most important factors for winning a game are (most important to least important):
    1. Deck Building and Power (if your deck sucks for whatever reason, or your opponent's deck is far superior to yours, no point arguing. hunt for better cards and work on building more effective decks instead)
    2. Overall Strategy (do you have a general plan for how to play a match? are you considering a backup strat vs. annoying opponent builds? do you change your plans on the fly depending on the cards in your opponent's deck, or you just roll the same ol' way blindly?)
    3. Execution (meaning the turn-to-turn play. are you making lots of mistakes? maybe you could have played your cards in a different order or way? are you positioning your characters in the optimal way, given the situation at hand?)
    4. The RNG (bad luck will eventually get you, sad but true)
    My point is, the RNG only really becomes a consistently determining factor when the players are evenly matched in the first 3 points. It's just we don't really realize this, I guess.

Ultimately, it's just a game. So no need to go mad big time. Most important thing ever: never be harsh on your opponent, no matter how bad you feel.

And always give the gg at the end of a match, no matter the outcome ;) Yes, even if you played in a very lame way or if your opponent used the most annoying strat ever.

turinturamba and Keyser like this.
  11. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

Emphasize what you can control and work around what you can't. I just want to think I made the best possible play given information, so if his obliterating blahblah goes through my parry, I was still in a good spot to avoid it. At least bad starting hands you can sometimes work around, might have to give up map control while fishing deck for better cards though.

Honestly games go quick enough that I just quickly review how my characters matched up against their characters, then move on to next game.

Main thing I try to avoid is being "outbuilt" and fighting 1-9 or 2-8 matchups where I have little chance. That would be much more frustrating. I was running a balanced build for awhile that was fairly decent all around, but now looking into more specialized builds as I get items. May end being more problematic though as people work on their metagame builds.

12. attog

attog Mushroom Warrior

Good game just now Eusix but you didn't need to quit out, you should have kept playing to see what would happen. Yeah your mage was out of cards and your dwarf warrior was at 3 life but you still had all your characters, nobody had died yet so I think it was way too early for you to quit. It was a good game though, you really had me going with all those whirlwinds and winds of war!

13. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

I recently lost 3 in a row for the first time since release, and felt a little bit of Cardhunter rage. But I did a few treasure hunts and then rethought my build a bit. And then I went on an 18-1 streak...so channeled rage is good.

14. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

i recently lost 5 times in a row, 4 of those in a 1v1 situation with 1 star remaining.

Went to sleep in the middle of the day.

15. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

In all honesty, rolling a legendary drop only to find out it was a treasure makes me rage more than losing 5 games in a row :mad:

This literally happened a minute ago...

[​IMG]

16. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

legendary treasures are far better than a subpar legendary item, which are not all that uncommon.

I rather have the gold to buy a specific legendary i know will be useful.

Pengw1n and Keyser like this.
  17. progammer

progammer Ogre

I made a chart to simplify this problem :) :

Crap Legendary < Legendary Treasure < Useful Legendary

18. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

yeah. Useful legendaries are actually not that many in number. Thats why most o the time i rather take the $$ and wait for shops to refresh.