Finer points of game mechanics you discovered the hard way

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Lindbergh, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yup, Farbs snuck it in there some time back - just as when he threw together the custom adventures interface.

2. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Wow, that is amazingly helpful, and something I never knew about.

3. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

referring to checking line of sight from open tiles using ctrl+right click

4. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

Just found out the hard way that smoke terrain doesn't block cone of cold.

5. Kilopip

Kilopip Mushroom Warrior

Another useful thing is ctrl+left click in any inventory menu. If you click on character sheet it will unequip items. If you do it in your stash while in store it will sell items (great for selling off treasures in a hurry).

6. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

On that note, it's useful to keep in mind that Purge can destroy enemy controlled cards that are on enemies... Like for example, it can purge Impenetrable Nimbus.

--

I personally think it's pretty brain-bending to see a character move diagonally between two squares of Blocking terrain. This only ever happens when Wall Of Stone is placed, because I don't think any offical maps have been designed with terrain like that

7. Lindbergh

Lindbergh Kobold

New one to add. Multiple All Out Attacks are multiplicative instead of additive.

In other words If you have a 7 point damage card and 2 All Out Attacks you will do 28 damage instead of 21.

8. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

lol @ 1 shotting dwarves warriors.

I would pay to see the reaction.

9. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Turns out you cannot use a different terrain attachment to override Wall of Stone. That hurt.

10. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Superstitious:
    When a description says "any other character" it means characters and creatures on the battlefield, not only your characters.
    Had to learn that the hard way when my Wiz had to discard 2 big zaps because my Warrior killed a kobold. :oops:

11. Shardey

Shardey Kobold

If an enemy uses Duck or Pickpocket to steal your card, and uses it on you, you can't purge the effect if it's a glob of fire for example. The game still thinks it's your card, even if the enemy took it and played it.

spacedust, Swiffle and pliers like this.
  12. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Interesting, and very good to know.

It seems like it's something that should be changed if possible. I guess it's not really a "bug", since it's not strictly a flaw in the coding, but it does seem to go against how the game is set up. If you had 2 Ducks, you could theoretically Block a spell such as Firestorm, recast it, and Duck that spell as well - allowing you to cast it yet again.

I don't know if it would work this way, but it seems like you could potentially trigger your own spells intentionally, like martyr's blessing, absorbing block, etc, or unintentionally, like blocking a stolen misguided heal or purge. Or perhaps a Duck'd Purge would fail to remove enemy debuffs like a gob of fire (cast under normal circumstances), since the Purge and Gob of Fire debuff are both "enemy cards."

Even just under your limited example scenario, it seems backwards, and the potential confusion/unintended uses don't seem to mesh with standard intended game mechanics. Stolen cards shouldn't continue to operate as enemy cards.

13. Lindbergh

Lindbergh Kobold

Oh. That does remind me of another Duck fine point/oddity.

If you target two targets with Winds of War, and one ducks but the card hits the other person, the hit person takes the damage and gets pushed. The ducking person gets a copy of Winds of War. (And in the experience I learned from, he used that Winds to move his hit character off the lava I had put him on and to push my wizard onto same lava :()

14. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

I don't think that's really an oddity, other than perhaps the point of "if a spell that can choose multiple targets is Ducked, the enemy will still get a copy of the spell." Basically, if it would be blocked by a normal block, it can be Ducked + copied.

15. Lindbergh

Lindbergh Kobold

That's mostly what I was getting at. The mechanic appears to be an individual block and a copy. It is not a individual block, take card, and negate the rest of a multi-target effect because the card got took.

Theoretically this also means that if both targets had successful ducks, each target would get a copy of the attack card if my understanding of mechanics is right.

16. Shardey

Shardey Kobold

All I can say is.. fear the mighty duck!

Quack quack.

17. Kilopip

Kilopip Mushroom Warrior

Another thing is talking in character. When in game use /1-3 to talk as one of your toons. You can also emote with /1me and so on. It even works in the Lobby chat :)

progammer likes this.
  18. progammer

progammer Ogre

Any card that target more than 1 will be copied before the effect start, than use each card separately on each target. A card will only be discarded (goes back to discard pile) when all copies of the card is destroyed. When you duck, you acquired a copy of the card, put it in your hand. The original card is not discarded.

I haven't personally tested the 2nd scenario, people has reported that once the card is ducked and claimed, it's effect is immediately cancelled for any remaining characters. (Unlike a traditional block).

19. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Yes, this is accurate.