Steam Greenlight?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Haratu, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Haratu

Haratu Kobold

Any thoughts about putting Card Hunter up on Steam Greenlight for us to rate?

I looked but couldn't find it so I presume it isn't up there yet.

2. Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen Kobold

The game isn't out yet. How would you know what to rate it.

3. Hajeil Sounak

Hajeil Sounak Mushroom Warrior

It wouldn't be on Steam ever since it is a browser based game. The only way this would happen is if they decide later on to make an installable version. They have said they have thought about this but it's not a for sure thing.

4. Hajeil Sounak

It doesn't matter if a game is out or not. That's not what Steam Geenlight is for. Greenlight is for the community to look at games that want to be put on Steam. You can read about them, look at video, pictures and the games' sites and then rate it up if you would like to see it made available on Steam. Top rated games will then be chosen and made available.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Ah, I had been wondering. I believe that yesterday was the first I ever heard of "Greenlight." And this thread was the second time I'd ever heard of it. So either it was very new, or not terribly relevant to the sites I'd been following. Now I guess it's both.

6. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

I don't think that your statement is 100% correct. Look at the game Realm of the Mad God. It's browser based too, but you can play it on Steam, as it just uses simple launcher. I think it would be possible to make our great Card Hunter appear on steam, and Steam is a great place for indy games...

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

You are right, its new and still facing teething problems...
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1317556891741839763

8. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

While steam's greenlight program is still vary new and having issues, if card hunters wants the audience it deserves it should really go up on steam. Even though it is a browser game, it's already been mentioned that Realm of the Mad God is a browser game that has made it onto steam. You don't have to pull too much effort off getting the game into a testable state to look into this for the future, and you definitely want to try to get a product in on greenlight sooner then later. It may take quite a while before it is accepted.

9. Hajeil Sounak

I totally forgot about that game and that it is browser based. Well... why the hell isn't this being put on Steam then? xD Maybe they don't want Valve cutting into the profits? Or maybe they will test the waters first on theri own and then Steam could possibly be used to further grow the communitty by getting the word out to a larger audience. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a game do that.

10. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

I do want them to sell their game on their website themselves, that is usually how I buy games, but steam is a must on top of that. Ya they lose some profit, but the audience they gain will make up for that loss and more. Much much more... Also, get on GOG.com please. You pick up those people that hate steam and won't use it. Win-win for everyone.

11. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

...but it's a free-to-play browser-based game. That has no place on a service like Steam or GOG or Desura or what have you. There's no need for it! What part of that would Steam even have anything to do with? The service would give you nothing that you would not already have here on the website. As for publicity, there are countless other ways to get the name out there.

I just don't see the point of it.

12. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

I'm not informed of the kind of costs that would be involved, but being on steam means you are paying something, even on a free game. Transaction tracking made through steam? A button that links back to steam for bundle deals? I have no clue. It does make me think, sense it is a browser and anyone will have access, would it be worth it? I would have to be in the discussion between CH and valve to have any idea, as I assume a deal like this would be a custom model.

13. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Steam is a great distribution model for the game client even if we don't charge for the client itself. We'll definitely be looking at whether that's possible for us through Greenlight or just through direct submission to Valve. We're not quite ready to do that yet is all.

Ystin likes this.
  14. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Sounds great!

15. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

I think you guys should make something what some players could pay for. It should be something NOT gamebreaking (so it's not pay2win). I think that best example of such features is League of Legends. You can earn all important the stuff by playing, the only thing you can't get from playing are skins, which doesn't affect game at all. I'd like to spent some money for you from time to time as you are making very cool game :)

16. inkBot

inkBot Kobold

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard. When Realm of the Mad God got onto Steam it saw a HUGE increase in new players. What Steam offers is reach.
    Besides, RotMG isn't the only f2p browser based game on Steam. Both PoxNora and Iron Grip: Marauders are Free to Play, browser based, games.

I'd definitely go give Card Hunter a thumbs up if it popped up on Greenlight.

17. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

then clearly you never heard of the human wizard trying to train trolls to dance the death of the swan.

18. inkBot

inkBot Kobold

Well, that does indeed sound mighty silly.

19. haho

haho Orc Soldier

i just found out about this game and the first thing i did was search for it on steam. based on this topic...and how old it is..seems like it might never happen. :(

20. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Since the game runs in a browser I guess it's currently not possible to get it on steam. They're looking into tablet and standalone clients - this would likely make the steam situation more likely, no matter how "old" the game is. Also, game's that are already developed enough seldom have to go through greenlight processes . CH already has a player base after all :)