Resistant Hide vs Poison - conflict

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Gray, May 26, 2013.

1. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

Poison2 (from Bad Medicine) says "This damage cannot be prevented by armor" - Resistant Hide says "This armor always prevents all damage from Acid, Poison, Electricity or Fire."

Not sure what the priority of conflicts is or is intended to be - but at the moment Resistant Hide is winning (and stopping the damage). This may or may not be as intended. (As I write this it occurs to me that it is probably working as intended ... but I shall let the right people make that judgement :) )

Gray

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Very much a case of WAI, I'd say.

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

We should clarify this on one of the cards. I'd be inclined to think that Resistant Hide wouldn't stop Poison though.

4. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

WAI.

Hmm, maybe the Poison text should instead be "This damage cannot be normally prevented by armor." That way it would be a little more obvious that Resistant Hide wins.

EDIT: Heh, ninja'd by Jon.
    And yes, it does feel a bit odd that Resistant Hide stops poison.

5. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

You are working on the same logic lines as me I guess :) That the armour should prevent incoming poison attacks - but once the poison is in your system the armour should be irrelevant. However once I started writing it seemed that it would be very hard to code for this given the way damage seems to be handled by the game - hence my afterthought. So In the end the other experts may be right - and it's wai (or perhaps waic - working as it can).

Gray

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The way I thought about it was this:

There are Armor cards that "always trigger" and "prevent all of such-and-such-type damage," like Only Bones. Cards that "always trigger" and "prevent all" like this are given priority: a Penetrating Attack is NOT allowed to penetrate Only Bones, even though the Penetrating keyword says it ignores Armor.

Resistant Hide says it "always triggers" and "prevents all." Thus, whether you WANT it to prevent Poison damage or not, it CURRENTLY makes sense for it to bypass the effects of Poison.

7. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

Nice to hear from one of the designers how the priority system works - thank you :)

8. Sir Knight

I . . . I . . . hope you weren't talking to me.

I'm not a designer.

yet.

9. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

We're all designers.
    in our dreams. ;)

10. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

I'd really like to see these sort of things clarified a little more, almost lost a game because of this.

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Remember that prevent all effects always have superiority. You can't use a piercing penetrating attack on a skeleton with only bones because only bones stops all piercing damage for example. Toughness stops any damage even penetrating despite being a armor and so on.

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

In that case, we could just remove the word "Poison" from Resistant Hide. Only eight cards do poison damage, and only Bad Medicine is available to players.

I'd been meaning to start a thread about irresistible forces and immoveable objects. What I've found so far:
    I haven't yet tested Shredding Strike vs Only Bones, nor Crushing attack + Frenzy Aura vs Amorphous Body. And there's a whole thread about Duck and Unstoppable Chop.

EDIT: I just noticed Frenzy Aura is available to wizards, so we need to test Penetration against Resistant Hide and Grounding Plates.

13. Sir Knight

I believe I did that some weeks ago. Result: destruction of every Only Bones card on those Skeletons. Very helpful in the fight, you can imagine.

14. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

What does "WAI" stand for?

So do Terrain effects have a really high priority or is that just an inconsistancy that needs to be fixed?

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

No, it's just the order of Acid Terrain's effects: discard all armors, then deal 3 acid damage.

16. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

Fair enough, I just don't like that the order of operations isn't consitent. As long as the wording is correct I guess I can learn to deal with it.

17. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Working As Intended.

18. smeata

smeata Mushroom Warrior

OMG I feel dumb, I was trying to work out what it stood for in a card game lol.