So... The Announcement Killed the game?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xienwolf, Sep 4, 2013.

1. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Seems incredibly dead, both in the lobby and on the forums.

I know that on the 12th everything is reset, but it feels like having that announced has made people stop playing. Are so many people only playing for progression?

You can still try out oddball strategies, work out the ideal starting party for post-reset, or just have fun playing at all.

So.... why the ghost town?

2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I started playing again today after about two weeks of not playing, but that's because I just bought the treasure hunts. I doubt I'll do any MP before release.

3. Zureiya

Zureiya Kobold

i don't think a thread title like that is healthy for any game (might be players not in beta reading that, and thinking game is not worth playing).

on topic:
    not playing now will only increase my interest when the game finally launches.
    i do still play, just a lot less.

daily chest rewards increase your "pressure" to play more, but it's certainly not the reason i am playing this game for.

4. kogi

kogi Ogre

It's not "killing" the game. I am resting and getting ready for a 24hr grind fest after launch

Wozarg, Aiven, dmar314 and 3 others like this.
  5. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Ah true, didn't think about how that would read in isolation very well ><

6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Heh, I've been on a game vacation for a month or more. Only testing and contributing on the forums! The game is having a last siesta before launch rather being dead...

7. hwango

hwango Hydra

Well, I'm still playing, but I admit that I'm playing less. I've been telling myself this whole time not to get attached to my stuff, because when the game goes live it will all go away. I've had mixed success. I think it will be kind of fun to start over from scratch and work my way back up to fine pile of stuff, but I'm going to really miss some of my more exotic items, some of which it's possible I will never be able to replace if I don't find them in a chest nor at Randimar's.

So I'm almost afraid to get more stuff, now that we know things are going live soon. If I get some Legendary awesome thing there will be a brief moment of delight followed by an unfortunate thought of "why couldn't I get this in two weeks instead?!"

For multiplayer, that problem is compounded by the leaderboards. I've made it to the top 100 (woo-hoo!). Could I make it to the top 50? Is it even worth trying if the boards are just going to reset in a couple of weeks?

I'm still playing Card Hunter between now and the launch because Card Hunter is fun, but I plan to play a whole lot more once we'll be retaining the stuff we acquire while playing.

8. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Most people seem to be taking a break so that they don't burn out before the game launches, myself included. The majority of the bugs seem to have been sorted and it sounds like a lot of the most glaring imbalances in multiplayer have been found and adjusted. I take that as meaning that beta testing was successful (yay!) and is now pretty much over. In some ways it feels like they should actually be releasing sooner than September 12th, but I'm sure there's still a lot of behind the scenes work to do.

What I have been doing is playing with the board editor. I highly recommend you take a look at it if you haven't yet - I believe boards and scenarios that you make are the only things that will carry over after the reset.

9. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

I sure hope those carry through the launch. Though I haven't devoted too much time to working on custom boards so far, and really hope for a lot more features to be available in them soonish.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

They're saved on your computer, not the server, so they'll remain after reset. It is possible that a future build will be incompatible with them, though, but I think that's unlikely (at least in the near future).

11. progammer

progammer Ogre

Working overtime so I can save up for my vacation in Cardhuntria obviously.

12. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I think that's very, very unlikely. Heck, our server can still load up the original csv based board format we used to bootstrap level design before building the board editor.

Pengw1n likes this.
  13. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

Also in the "stopped playing, but planning on playing a ton at launch" camp. In the meantime, playing some other card games, rpgs, etc. Things will be a LOT more active next week. Hopes for a smooth launch!

14. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I'm waiting till launch too. I haven't completed all the levels (just up to L16) so I am leaving the rest as a challenge for my new party!

15. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

The calm before the storm...

16. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Its bound to happen since it will let people feel completely refreshed instead of feeling back to the same old as well as having people be rested in case they have time for a massive burst early.

17. Vorne

Vorne Kobold

I'm in a similar state as others above. I'm super excited, but I don't want to burn myself out by playing before I can start collecting stuff for real.
    12th can't come soon enough.

Aiven likes this.
  18. Angry Penguin

Angry Penguin Mushroom Warrior

Yep. Very excited for the 12th! Not doing much MP at the moment not that I did a lot of mp anyway. I just bought the treasure hunts and am trying out an all priest team in SP.

19. Aiven

Aiven Orc Soldier

Really looking forward to the 12th, I will surely play a lot the following days.