Huzzah! A good day for Card Hunter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Card Hunter Joe, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Yesterday was a good day for Card Hunter! The Verge ran a lovely article about the game: http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/6/4591072/card-hunter-magic-meets-dungeons-and-dragons . A small army descended on the website and we had our biggest ever day for beta sign-ups, with 3000 new people.

I used to believe in the motto "build it and they will come." Unfortunately it isn't true. Irrational Games made some amazing games that were commercial failures (System Shock II, for instance, sold just 250,000 copies despite a Gamerankings average review score of 92%). In addition to trying to make a really fun game, one of our greatest challenges has always been whether or not we could get our game noticed. There are an order of magnitude more games today than at any point in the history of the industry (there are estimated to be 250,000 games in the App store alone). With the release of the next gen consoles, we're also about to enter the busiest PR season in the last eight years, and this will dominate the press, leaving little oxygen for small fry such as ourselves. As a result I spend a lot of my days wondering how on earth we're going to get anyone to notice this funny little game we've invested ourselves in. So yesterday was a good day. It was a small step towards making Card Hunter sustainable, which is something that would make us very happy indeed.

We have some other big and very exciting news to share over the next few weeks. Unfortunately, that's all I'm going to tell you right now. Stay tuned!

As ever, go forth and hunt cards!

Aiven, Neofalcon, Jayce and 8 others like this.
  2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Every day is a good day for Card Hunter! So that would make yesterday a super day for Card Hunter... or an ultra-splendid one? Maybe a califragalistic one?

Aiven likes this.
  3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

You cardtease you!

Great news i really hope you guys make it big if i haven't made that abundantly clear already.

4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Cat's out of the bag: I become GM after Melvin and ban you from playing FOREVER.

Aiven, Jayce, j-wiz and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

This is why you don't want self-inserts in your storytelling.

But aside from that: woohoo, Card Hunter!

Edited P.S.: In context, the big and exciting news is OBVIOUSLY the System Shock 2 expansion for Card Hunter itself.

Jayce and j-wiz like this.
  6. maurtheus

maurtheus Kobold

Incoming red cyborg assassin model !
    Or minuteman model

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

"Might makes right!"

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

System Shock 2 AND Freedom Force?

Si-lence the dis-cord.

Edit: No, you don't get to respond "But the Many are strong!" 'cause I thought of it first.

Megadestructo likes this.
  9. Malachi256

Malachi256 Kobold

After release just get any final tweak and polish passes done, then get it on steam... you'll be fine. This is a quality game.

10. Snacksmoto

Snacksmoto Mushroom Warrior

As a new User, I've heard good things about Cardhunter from various gaming podcasts over the past couple of months. That's what first intrigued me despite first hearing about this game when it was in closed beta. My gaming time is limited although I kept hearing more and more good impressions while I was playing other games. After recently hearing about the beta changing to open beta I jumped right in. I've been talking about this game to my gaming friends who I think would be into it.

11. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

The romantic in me still hopes that a good game will find a way to bubble to the surface. My 17 year industry alter ego spits on my dreams and laughs in my face.

Pengw1n, Megadestructo and j-wiz like this.
  12. Snacksmoto

Snacksmoto Mushroom Warrior

Play the Unreliable Block card.
    "You block like a dog, but remember that every dog has it's day."

Or in failing that, procure copious amounts of Dwarven Ale.

Have fun out there.

13. AstaSyneri

AstaSyneri Kobold

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is my preferred source for computer gaming news. And they give Indies quite a bit of room, especially when their games are well executed.