Fonts display wrong on some configurations

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Hareton, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hareton

Hareton Kobold

Fonts need to be changed and the game needs to be optimized for non widescreen monitors. Mine is ratio 5:4 with 1280x1024 resolution, which displays widescreen games really bad, but it happens only when developers are too lazy to optimize the game, in most games and every older game everything looks good. In Card Hunter fonts are too small in some places, but also display wrongly. Antialiasing in these fonts often tends to not work properly and they display too thin. It can be seen in the screenshot, in the item descriptions.

Attached Files:

• ch2.JPG
      ch2.JPG
      File size:
      275.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Hareton

Hareton Kobold

Uh, on the screenshot they are shown a bit differently then in reality. But generally these fonts suck in all configurations, because they are too small and faulty, and in non widescreens especially.

3. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I can read all of the Card Hunter text on that screenshot perfectly, but you say that the screenshot does not reflect reality, which is a bit of a mind-bender. You may have to forgive the "lazy" developers for not optimising the game for your SXGA resolution, I think.

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I don't know that the fonts are going to be affected by your screen resolution. Is your main complaint that the fonts are too small or that some screen elements don't fit?

5. Hareton

Hareton Kobold

My complaint is only about fonts quality. They are: too small, too thin, too crispy. By too thin I mean not bold enough, it happens because of antialiasing problems.

6. Hareton

Hareton Kobold

Fonts are so bad that you can't tell if it's blue or other color item.

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

You're mentioning antialiasing; you're also saying that there's some difference between the screenshots and reality; this all implies that the problem is with your monitor.

Do you have an older LCD monitor, and are you displaying at a non-native resolution? What happens when you change resolution? Do you have any possible display features going that would "stretch" the window?

8. Hareton

Hareton Kobold

I have written what monitor I have, it has less common aspect ratio, but it only causes problems with widescreen-optimized games and fonts. I use only native resolution, others look bad on this monitor. There is not "stretch", it's impossible anyway, I know from some games that when it's optimized for widescreens and 4:3 only, it will be unplayable because of small, blurry display. But it doesn't matter, I've seen on some other people screenshots that fonts are just piece of crap in items descriptions in this game, it's just in my case it's even a bit worse.

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Hmm. Could you direct me to any other screenshot showing bad fonts? I've always had fonts as readable as . . . well, as the URL bar on my browser here, which is a little smaller than this forum text. Also a little bolder than forum text, which sounds the opposite of what you're describing.

And to be clear, I'm referring to looking at a zoomed-in card.

10. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I also play on a 1280 x 1024 monitor and can't say that I have ever had any significant problems reading the text anywhere in Card Hunter.

11. Hareton

Hareton Kobold

There are at least two types of monitors with such resolution, 4:3 and 5:4 versions.

12. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Ah, fair point. I just divided 1280 by 1024 and got 5/4 :oops:

My monitor is a 17" Dell E173FP, which I believe is 5:4 aspect ratio. There's the odd place where the text does look a bit on the thin side but there's nowhere where I'd say it was unreadable, or even close to unreadable for that matter.