Design Challenge #1 - Attack/Block cards

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by LightPhoenix, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

The point is, you don't want them to block it... it's better kept as an attack card but it's so easy for someone to randomly make you discard it.

2. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

That seems to be a bit of a conundrum involving Attack/Blocks; Sure, you don't want to lose a powerful attack by having a block triggered, but "Block Any" is still a powerful effect in itself. It's really only a drawback if it's baited with a weenie attack like Long Spark or Weak Chop, but I'm sure anybody would gladly give up their attack card if it meant blocking an All-Out Attack Obliterating Bludgeon.

3. Essence

Essence Orc Soldier

Yeah, if you're gonna go the "hope it doesn't block" route, you need to attach more of a penalty to the block:

Psychic Strength (Arcane Item, Silver, lvl 13ish)
    Attack: 1 [Psychic, Penetrating] Range:6. When this card successfully deals damage, it deals 2 additional damage for every Magic card in your hand.
    Block: Magic/Projectile 5+. When this card successfully Blocks, discard all Magic cards. Take 2 Psychic damage for each card discarded in this fashion.

4. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

There are tons of spam attacks to trigger blocks:

- Healing pulse
    - Firestorm
    - Bad luck
    - Spear attacks
    - Fireball
    - Weak frost attacks
    - Mind worm
    - etc.

5. xophnog

xophnog Mushroom Warrior

Maybe this isn't an attack/block, but it is a block that would allow you to deal damage.

Simulacrum Shield
    Magic
    Block melee
    roll: 4+
    Apply any damage to the attacker

Would definitely make warriors think twice about striking with Obliterating Bludgeon + All Out Attack

6. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

There's a couple things I'd like to add to a warriors bag of tricks. A little discard, a halt effect, and a repositioning stab attack.

Fearsome Charge
    Move​
    Move 5​
    Every step must be in the same direction. At the end of the move, if there is a character in the next square in the direction moved, halt that character.

Concussing Bash
    Melee/Bash​
    Attack: 6 Range: 1​
    Target discards their oldest card.​

Hooked Stab
    Melee​
    Attack: 2 Range: 2​
    Move target to a square adjacent to the attacker.​

Sayeth Aether and Forlorn like this.
  7. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Items on which attack/block cards are natural to create:
    Spiked shield, Spiked Armor, Quarterstaff, Drunken Style Martial Arts, handguard addition to a sword, volatile flasks, glass sword, elemental armor (on fire, frozen or acid), divine intervention.

Moving to NPC territory, Disolving Slime monster is naturally attack/defense for just about everything he does.

I would include telekenesis in the list, thinking of picking up objects loose in the room to intercept projectiles or to throw at the enemy. But that term is already used for moving around characters instead. Could use it as both I suppose, or introduce Poltergeist as a Divine minion.

8. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

So basically a melee version of Reflect Missile.

How could you not call this Flying Tackle? :)

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Dwarfish Block
    6+ keep, This card can't be discarded for any reason.
    2/1 keep

Dwarfs are a stubborn kind once they find a shield they like nothing can make them let go. - dwarfy

10. Cuthawolf

Cuthawolf Kobold

Redirected Strike
    3 attack/1 Range. If this card is blocked, apply 2 damage to one enemy adjacent to the target.
    4+ Block Melee. If this block is successful, apply half the attackers damage to the attacker (round up).

((Possible rebalance: 3+ Block Melee. If this block is successful, apply half the attackers damage to the nearest friendly character. (round up).))

"I changed my mind."

Portal Strike (Picture someone reaching through Portal (the game) style portals to zap someone)
    4 attack/6 Range
    4+ Block Magic, Projectile Block. If this block is successful, apply the attackers card to a different target within 6 squares. Cannot apply to the attacker.

"When one portal closes, another opens in your face."

11. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Contemplating catching up on a hundred or so Naruto made me think of this one:

Shadow Clone
    1/1. Stealth. If this attack does damage, opponent faces away from attacker.
    4+ Block All. If this block is successful, character moves to nearest tile out of line of sight, or back 3 tiles, whichever is closest.

12. Lomi

Lomi Kobold

Suprise Attack

block melee 3+
    Draw card, if that card is an attack card immediately play it on the attacker.

13. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Could also be called "Counter Attack."

And it's gold worthy

14. Pokemath

Pokemath Mushroom Warrior

Force Wall
    ATTACK:Target two adjacent squares become Illusionary Terrain(See Illusion Wall)
    BLOCK:Block All on 4+. If this card blocks Magic, draw a card.
    "I don't have to kill you. I just have to keep you from taking my treasure."

Foolish Bravery
    ATTACK:8 Bludgeoning Melee. If this card is blocked, ignore the block and deal 4 Penetrating damage to the user of this card.
    BLOCK:Block Any Melee targeting an adjacent ally on 3+. If this card blocks, switch places with that ally, negate the attack, and
    deal 3 damage to user of this card.
    "In retrospect, diving to block that was a bad idea. Especially considering he had enchanted plate mail and I didn't."