[Feedback] Resistant hide overpowered(?)

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Keyser, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

The key here is priest buffs. I run a hybrid fireball/utility wizard and can decimate teams with her as long as I have Unholy Wellspring. Without it though fire spells just don't do enough damage.

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

As I said it can work, I'm doubtful on how reliable it would be. Also if it was more reliable, and thus more used, the meta would change so that you'd see people running more armor causing it to be less viable. Either way, don't think it's a function of Resistant Hide.

3. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

Apologies. Didn't know what I was starting. :confused:

4. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

For single player Resistant Hide sometimes feels overpowered. But that's more of a map problem than item problem...

As for multiplayer, it might be part of interesting combo, but far from main problem in that combo. If someone gets Firestorm/Hide Combo working reliably, main problem will be consistant and too powerfull card drawing abilities. Nerfing/Removing Hide further won't then help all that much, as same card drawing combo will be used to achieve something else.

Edit: And for "normal" multiplayer, it counters rather narrow slice of builds. And only when those builds don't bring armor/card removal which is easy to get.

5. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

[​IMG]

As none of the dozen or so items that has Resistant Hide has more than one copy of the card, building a strategy around it alone is probably not reliable.

Even if you do draw it, note that it does not protect against arcane spells, so you can be Zapped to death. You also have to hope that you don't get hit by armour removal / card dropping spells.

In short, it's a good card if you draw it, if you can keep it and your opponent can't get past it, but certainly not overpowered.

6. M B Lamar

M B Lamar Kobold

Drop to Armor 1 so Melee and Arcane can put a little more hurt on them. And change to Gold to make it a little harder to fit without a drawback. That's a gold card if I ever saw it.

Another way to go a la shimmering aura - give it a great armor value, say 5, and have it only protect against fire, acid, and poison.

7. AxeGrinder

AxeGrinder Kobold

What I find interesting is that Resistant Hide somewhat arbitrarily protects against some types of damage and not against others.

8. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

I always wondered if this was a monster only card, but somebody back there confused it for player armor because it's "Hide" armor. Kind of like how Skeletons have Only Bones, and the puddings have their Amorphous Body, I figured Resistant Hide is also supposed to refer to a monsters skin. Probably a Zombie, with Poison immunity in mind. I suppose it's possible to make armor out of zombie skin, but wearing it shouldn't make a person poison-proof.

9. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

That's actually not that good of an item. I run a volcano/firestorm deck on one wizard, and a frost deck on the other wizard, and an armored brusier deck for my warrior.

What the wizards need are lots of armor cards, any armor will do. Reliable mail is very good but so is anything that blocks firestorm. However, the only items that hold armor cards are the cloak and boots for wizard. Thus you want those items to have as many cards dedicated to armor as possible. Also, you don't want to waste orbs on the robes or boots, since they are better spent on weapons/arcane items/racials.

For cloak, the best item is Ochre Robes. 2 armor, 1 of them being the almighty resistant hide and the other being the officer's harness, which gives you 1 point of protect at no added cost (other than the draw cost). Having at least one armor card on both of your wizards before you begin the maelstrom is extremely important. Having the officer's harness ensures that you take less damage than the enemies do, which is all that is necessary for the win. Remember that firestorm deals 2 burn dmg, so if you've got the harness that is cut in half.

For the boots, the best item is Vira's Shoes. It gives you the most magical protection out of any boots, which is all you need to protect yourself from firestorms.

10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Actually 2x reliable mail would give you more damage reduction granted only by a fraction but it also makes you safe against other attacks and bad luck. Maybe not relevant to the thread so sorry for derailing but figured i would point it out.

skip_intro likes this.
  11. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

But that costs an orb. I'd much rather spend my orbs on weapons and relics.

12. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

OK, to try to sum up this thread:

1) Resistant Hide is only overpowered on some campaign maps: the solution is probably to make sure each campaign map has a way to at least do some damage if a player has Resistant Hide.

2) Resistant Hide is not overpowered in MP (and I never claimed it was).

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'm pretty sure every Demon Portal map has Arcane Imps and/or Acid Imps. Guardians of Mists have a penetrating attack; Rook Blast and Bishop Blast are arcane. Any other all-magic modules?

14. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Doesn't have to.

There is a single whisp only map in the dragon adventure but that is only one map.

15. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Really? Which boot has two reliable mails and no orb cost?

16. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

You would have to mix armor/helm/boots/dwarf skill to get 2 Reliable Mail without orbs. Sadly though, the helm and dwarf skill are both legendary and the boots are epic.

Edit: forgot about boots

17. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Yes, but then if you use the wizard's robes for reliable armor you lose out on getting resistant hide. I don't know of any orbless robes that give reliable hide and resistant hide. Such an item would be massively OP.

18. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Resistant Hide far more powerful than any other kind of armour; and more powerful than any other silver card I can think of. So even though this thread is really about single-player modules I'm going to go ahead and say that Resistant Hide on orbless items is too powerful in multiplayer. To counter so many different kinds of attacks with just a single card is... unique. And although strategies that rely on drawing Resistant Hide would probably be too unreliable, the card is versatile enough that it doesn't really need special strategies. It completely negates the two biggest magic damage types and offers good protection against every other kind of damage, and so it's more than likely to cause big problems for the other team even if you aren't trying to pair it with Firestorm or anything like that. In my opinion, either Resistant Hide should be nerfed, or it should not be available on orbless items. -- (Or maybe there's no problem and I'm just not seeing enough armour removal cards being used.)

19. M B Lamar

M B Lamar Kobold

I have to agree with all the points made here. It is very powerful for a low level silver card.

Suggestions: include a 3+ saving throw for the environmental protection, and a 5+ for other protection; avoid half the damage; or remove the 'keep' condition.

I prefer the first. It gives it a trade off for environ vs. arcane/melee, and gives the attacker a hope for a lucky break.

Or the third. It will save you from that lava, but then you're SOL. Of course, the crafty attacker can pop you with a burning fingers to get rid of the armor, then hit you with the lava. Allows some strategy.