General Impressions, 1o hours

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by ApathyCurve, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ApathyCurve

ApathyCurve Kobold

As the title says. I'll keep it brief as I know your time is valuable.

First, great job. Very playable and easy to pick up. I have no doubt it'll be a hit, and I'll be recommending to my friends as soon it goes live.

Now, a few nits to pick...

1) It was not obvious to me how to use a movement card to change facing. I had to Google it. You might make it an explicit point in the tutorial. (It's possible I simply missed it, but still... non-obvious.)

2) I'd recommend not pressing the MP aspect so hard. Many people simply won't be interested in multiplayer at all. It's currently rather pushy about it, flatly interrupting the campaign play. Irritating your potential customer is a famously poor method for generating revenue. I'd recommend asking if the player would like to try a MP tutorial, with Yes/No/Maybe Later options.

3) Per above, don't mix all that high-level stuff from MP into my campaign inventory. It's confusing. I'd recommend keeping MP and SP entirely separate, possibly with a hard toggle.

4) The "nerdy teenager dialogue" gets tiresome very quickly. It's fine for the tutorial and intro module, but after that either tone it down (a lot) or provide a toggle. Frankly, I don't want to see it and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Again, those are minor points, and to a degree personal preferences. You're doing great! Keep it up and you'll be getting my money -- which is the point of the exercise. =D

Obligatory note to Forum Rats: This post is for the devs to read if they so desire. I don't care if it's been said before, I don't care about your opinion, and I'm not staying here to discuss it with you, so I'd recommend you not waste your time. Bye.

2. DragnHntr

DragnHntr Orc Soldier

[​IMG]

3. lord_heman

lord_heman Kobold

Well written, and despite that you're saying that we shouldn't discuss it here, I would, though, like to say that I find the nerdy-teenager dialouge extremely funny - maybe because it reminds me of myself, 20 years ago =)

4. Merrick Z

Merrick Z Kobold

Totally agree with the multiplayer thing. It really should be activated when you first get to the multiplayer area. If it's removed completely it won't interrupt the flow of the campaign.

5. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

Maybe the nerdy teenagers of today have to get a bit older to laugh about themselves :cool:
    I have fond memories of the days of pizza and wagonloads of ice tea.

shram86 and lord_heman like this.
  6. lord_heman

lord_heman Kobold

Amen to that! Glorious times, that was!

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

First and foremost: Lots of great points and well written. Thanks for the impressions!

Secondly: Calling us Forum Rats is a bit of a downer. We're all fans here and we're all trying to make the game better and I encourage discussion between players because, as developers, you're our customers. The best way to find what works is to talk about it. If you're being sarcastic and a bit jokey, it's not coming off because that's hard to do on a forum post.

Either way, welcome and I *do* hope you change your mind and continue to contribute! :)

8. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

And I love the dialog. I may be biased, but the nostalgia it brings endears the game even further to me!

9. Fry

Fry Ogre

I agree that Gary's awkward teenage geekery a) is a little amusing, b) reminds me of myself, c) starts grating after a while. Maybe tone it down a bit. Although definitely keep things like the discussion of guisarmes and glaive-guisarmes and bardiches, because that is hilarious.

I'm a little offput by Gary's objectification of the pizza delivery girl. To some extent it fits Gary's character, but I would still like to see it dialed back a lot, especially during the prison break scenario. Haven't finished the campaign yet, but I hope that it is heading in the direction of "hey, girls can like D&D (Card Hunter) too" and it gets there quickly.

10. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

You'll find out more about that by the time you reach the LV11 adventures.

11. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

Especially as Megadestructo is very clearly marked as a forum monkey, which lead me to the belief that he may be responsible for the war monkeys as well...

Megadestructo likes this.