[Suggestion] - Cleric class problems as a support class

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by typci, Jul 2, 2013.

1. typci

typci Kobold

As I was playing through the campaign, I realized 3 things about the cleric:

1) The cleric works really well to support a warrior class, with cards that add extra damage and such
    2) The cleric is terrible at supporting the wizard, the cleric has little other than healing to support the wizard
    3) Solo, the cleric is not good, to many cards that can't target self

As I was playing, I realized the cleric was the weak link in my party. If my warrior died, the cleric was pretty much useless. He didn't have enough attack cards, and his support cards did little to nothing to support the wizard. I replaced the cleric with another wizard, and my party was much stronger.

If the cleric is going to be the support class, then he needs to be able to support both of the other classes. My suggestion is adding some cards that would increase the range of magic cards. This would allow the cleric to boost the damage of the warrior, and increase the range of the wizard, playing off the strengths of both classes.

As it stands now, I won't ever play with a party of a wizard, cleric, and warrior. If the warrior dies, I fell like I only have 1 1/2 party members left, because half of the cleric's cards are now useless.

2. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

I get where you're coming from, but I can't help but think that some players will think more range for a wizard would be OP. I could be wrong, though.

3. Dorian

Dorian Mushroom Warrior

I've been clobbered by someone playing 2 priests and a wizard. In addition to the healing, Unholy Wellspring, Demonic Feedback and Unholy Power work just fine to turn a wizard into a Raging Cannon of Death! Inspiration and Martyr's Blessing also work just fine. I agree that if you're down to priest and wizard, the various Frenzy cards become less valuable, but unless you've overloaded those cards, I think a priest can support a wizard pretty well.

Interested to hear what others think, as always!

Zoorland likes this.
  4. Bradford

Bradford Mushroom Warrior

You certainly can build a Wizard-supporting Cleric but I think it requires certain cards and a slightly different approach.

First of all I probably wouldn't bother with any healing. Wizards' health is too low and if they're taking any significant damage they're probably doomed anyway. Your Cleric's primary job will be to give the Wizard a lot of extra card draws, so load up on cards like Inspiration, Unholy Power, Accelerated Thought, and Martyr Blessing. Altruism is key as it will allow your Cleric to draw more cards for herself. It doesn't trigger off Unholy cards though so I tend to favor the Holy ones. With a bit of luck you can get a whole lot of card draws with the Altruism/Inspiration combo.

Other cards that are great for supporting Wizards are Unholy Wellspring (+4 damage that works on Magic attacks), Entangling Roots (amazing synergy with Wizard's terrain effects), and Impenetrable Nimbus (naturally). If you're lucky enough to have any of these you would be crazy not to include them in a Wizard-focused build.

Of course, all of these cards are useful for Warriors too, so you could definitely do a 1-1-1 with a Cleric built this way. However I do think Wizards can generally make better use of extra card draws since they get into attack range more easily.

Zoorland likes this.
  5. Tobold

Tobold Goblin Champion

I don't agree. Look at Unholy Wellspring, or the various effects with which the cleric can make the wizard draw cards.

[EDIT: Looks like Bradford beat me to it while I was typing.]

6. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

He's a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none - but all the same I find him workable. I bring a lot of healing and don't rely too much on buffs so far. Healing *does* make a substantial support contribution to the others as far as I am concerned. He also has some standard attacks and some draining attacks which allow him to self-heal in melee, so he will wade in if the situation warrants it.

Zoorland likes this.
  7. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Yep, nothing quite so scary as Wizard with Unholy Wellspring and 8 or 9 cards in hand... Actually seen it once in MP, but might have been 2 priests and a wizard.

Zalminen likes this.
  8. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

I would not mind if there were more cards that would allow self-target for a buff-and-smash (DnD 3 type) priest

9. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Wizards get Arcane Aura as a self-buff, which is definitely in my top five cards in the entire game. Its real strength is that it's broadly applicable; almost everything a Wizard does will benefit from it. In contrast, Warrior self-buffs require a lot more setup/luck to get rolling, and Bash/Chop/Penetrating are generally less useful than Step/Spear/high-damage Attacks. They do get All-Out Attack, but that's one use only; an unlucky Block can nullify it completely. So, with regards to Priests buffing other classes as support, the logical buff is to give Warriors a comparable version of Arcane Aura.

[EDIT]And in general, Wizard self-buffs are pretty good - Fire/Electricity Traits boost those elements and Arcane skills. Hover makes you immune to terrain attachments, Dimensional Traveler lets you move off of them. Resistant Hide makes you completely immune to a lot of magic. I don't feel that Wizard really needs anything else.

As far as Priest self-buffs go, I think they get a pretty decent selection. Inspiring Armor gives card draw to two characters, Boosted Heal allows for free healing, Altruism interacts with a good portion of Priest builds, and Talented Healer is another top-five candidate, even without heal-cycling.

Now, for Priests "soloing". First off, Priests aren't damage dealers; Warriors and Wizards do the heavy lifting. Priest Attacks are generally Spears and Bashes; both are vastly more defensive in nature. They do get a nice selection of Armor as well; again, the theme is defensive power over offensive. Drains allow a Priest that is forced into melee range to do double duty in self-healing and attack, but they're not terribly strong. Finally, Priests get very few self-buffs that are offensive in nature; Horned Plates is the notable one. With all that in mind, Priests can hold their own against one or two enemies, if you play very defensively. I vastly prefer the Elven Priest over Human/Dwarf for precisely this reason; the increased mobility compliments the defensive and supportive nature of the class very nicely.

10. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

My main campaign party was one cleric and two wizards. Healing and card draw are both plenty of support in my opinion. Plus there is one buff that help wizards, but it's rare, buffing a wizards spells get's really powerful (fireballs get downright mean when you add damage to them).