Who here paints miniatures?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I got into a discussion with Blue Manchu Joe today and I remember spending hours upon hours painting miniatures for my various table-top games (Warhammer included) and have thought about recently starting up again.

So, who here also does this? And would you be willing to post some of your work? I need to start again but I'm willing to shame myself on here as well!

Also, did anyone know that Ben apparently ran a Games Workshop store? I'm hoping he finds this thread and posts some of his work as well (which I bet is amazing)... maybe even give us some tips?

toborprime and Bowen Johnson like this.
  2. tarsonas

tarsonas Mushroom Warrior

i play war hammer 4ok and hordes but haven't fully painted any of my figures....maybe i should do that while waiting for the beta key.

3. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

I will offer myself up as a sacrificial lamb. I'll post something tomorrow.

4. Hessian

Hessian Orc Soldier

I dont paint, but have always been horribly tempted to start playing 40K. I had a secondhand tyranid army for a bit. I enjoyed it far too much and my gf at the did not.

Then I got even more expensive hobbies, so I switched to writing 40K instead.

5. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

It's been years since I've painted any miniatures. But I've painted a few over the years.

6. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

I have a whole Chaos Space Marines Army painted. And some Blood Bowl teams. And FoW Minis. Ill take a picture and post it, but I am not really good at painting minis, I don't spend so much time with details and just rather finish them quickly, so I can start playing :)

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I've painted in the past, both the mithril figures for MERP and some warhammer fantasy figures. Been a while though, and while I'm pretty good - I'm lazy, think I have a gazillion unpainted night goblins...

8. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

Painted some Necrons a while back, half-assedly painted some Khadorans too.
    Now I just build model robots.

9. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Uh, yes, I forgot, I have a Dark Elves army painted as well! A little one, but still.

10. Wounder

Wounder Mushroom Warrior

You know, I used to paint a lot. And with Mice & Mystics, MYTH and Super Dungeon Explore, I thought it'd be interesting for my kids to try. Of course, kids == no time for painting.

And honestly, if I had to do minis for games like D&D again, I think I'd go with paper stand ups... which are real life equivalents of Card Hunter characters, cheap, look good and you can store/transport hundreds of them in a shoebox.

http://onemonk.com/ and http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=27 are a couple of good examples of this. It's not as satisfying as painting even a crappy figure, but I'd rather play with my rascals than paint figs.

11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

[​IMG]

Found 'em! Time to start.

toborprime and Grombak like this.
  12. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Progress pictures, please! :D

13. Card Hunter Joe

I should start with a set-up. I last painted a figure in 1984. It was the summer holidays. I had just bought the first edition of Warhammer. My friend Andrew Held, or "H", held regular war-gaming days round his house in Old Windsor. It was very exciting. His brainy friend James Raffin had built an army of smug High Elves and I wanted to mince them with my newly purchased chaos army with it's crowning glory, an eight headed hydra. I thought I should try to give them a lick of paint first. It was a disaster. My hydra looked like he'd been thrown up on by a rainbow. The elves made fun of me.

So here I am, pushing forty in a few months, and going through a very pleasing, personal nerd renaissance. I thought it might be fun to try and do some painting. This was a pretty daunting decision. Luckily, Ben Lee is a master figure painter and so he encouraged me and told me what to buy. My girlfriend Ashley bought me this for xmas: http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Hobby-Set-Limited-Edition/dp/B00APWSCSK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1

Now I had to have a go.

Anyway, I've been trying to learn some basic techniques. I'm still very much a n00b but I'm enjoying learning something and getting better. I have decided to be brave for this and try my hand at a chaos cultist. I find flesh very hard to do. As you will also notice, I'm also having problems taking a good picture.

painting2.JPG

painting.JPG I am going to try and keep it simple while I attempt to get some basic skills. Ben says I should do the following: prime, base coat, wash then highlight. Here's were I'm at after day 1. I did the the trousers, boots and sash. I have no idea what happened to his right arm. I am concerned that my old proclivities for disco chic are returning; I just hope this is a case of me being more Slaanesh than Khorne.

Attached Files:

Talonius likes this.
  14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Nice job, Joe! I'm ready to show my first two in a long time, so I'll give some background info as well:

I've been playing tabletop RPGs for nearly 30 years and have been an off-and-on mini-painter. When on, I would paint a ton of them and even do them for friends. My best were during High School when I was trying to become some kind of illustrator and practiced a LOT. I ended up modifying a lot of minis because I found them too boring otherwise (oh Ral Partha) until I found Citadel and Space Marines!

Ultimately my laziness ended my painting days (especially during Warhammer 40k) as I would just have the "Uniformly Spray-Painted Purple Chaos Marines."

Anyway, here are my first two attempts in years. I just started out with the black undercoat, and then a base-coat + wash for the spear and shield edge.

goblins-step-1.jpg

I'll continue to work on it as I have a very limited amount of paint (just the ones that came in the box) and some really old brushes from way back. I wish I could find some of my old minis but I think they all got tossed when my parents moved. Ah well!

15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I got bored, so I finished them:

goblins-done-small.jpg

16. Card Hunter Joe

The Warp was strong in me this weekend. I sat outside and alternated between weeding and painting savage, blood splattered chaos cultists. It seemed appropriate for a sunny day in Seattle. I'm getting much happier with these. Now hopefully I can actually play someone to play with.

Attached Files:

17. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Nice work!

18. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Lookin' good, Joe!

19. Bowen Johnson

Bowen Johnson Kobold

I dig painting minis. Lately the girlfriend and I have been painting Malifaux minis.

Megadestructo likes this.
  20. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card