Help us with the Help!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

We published a first-draft Card Hunter help page as part of the latest build.

What do you think? What did we miss out on that we should have in there?

Neofalcon and Pengw1n like this.
  2. Peseto

Peseto Mushroom Warrior

I really like what you have done with it, but here are jut a few comments:
    • When you play in fullscreen and click help, you don't realize that a tab just opened withe the help.
    • A table of content with hyper references would be nice.
    • Not sure if this belongs in the help section, but it would be nice to know in what order terrain attachments get checked. For example if the last two characters both stand on lava and have less than 10 hp it would be nice to know in advance who is going to die first.

3. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

'Reading the cards' section should also cover hybrid cards.

I've already encountered a player who had totally missed that Thick Hide Armor could also be used as a move card.

4. Dorian

Dorian Mushroom Warrior

The section on Block cards should mention that Blocks only work against attacks from the front or sides, and not against attacks from behind.

5. erf_beto

erf_beto Kobold

Hi there, I just started playing (I got a key! I got a key! weeeeeeee!!!), so pardon my noobness.
    Well, I think I already figured it out, so I think it's absolutely irrelevant, but I scrolled up and down the help page to find something about the Victory Points/Stars: the page only mentions it for the stages with Victory Squares, but we get them anytime you defeat a monster, and I wondered whether my "performance" had anything to do with the number of stars acquired...

6. Talonius

Talonius Mushroom Warrior

The content seems great and really comprehensive on how the game-play goes. I can comment better on that once I have played. I would have this section figure more prominently on the website somewhere though. It seems to me that a valuable resource to entice potential players who really want to delve in to the game mechanics is being missed by calling it simply the help section.

7. Jon

Great comments, thanks!

8. Average Joe

Average Joe Kobold

Two comments about the help page:

(1) The pictures are beautifully sized, and large. I can read everything. Why isn't the game the same way? Can't you make sizing an option in the actual game? I'd love to be able to read and see everything so well.

(2) I don't understand facing, and the help file didn't help me. I get that the arrows show you the way the figure will be facing if the move ends on that square, but I can't see any rhyme or reason to why the arrows point the way they do. They don't seem to follow the way a character would walk and turn.

9. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

Agreed, but I think the example should be something like Frenzy Aura, pointing out how the two different trigger effect icons show when those two different effects are used (This is something that really confused me when I started playing).

10. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

The new help page is great, definitely something that I would appreciate having when learning the game! I do have some suggestions:
    1. A note about cancelling cards, specifically that Move cards cannot be cancelled.
    2. As Dorian said, mentioning the importance of facing when describing Block cards.
    3. An entry in the glossary for Traits. It looks like this might have been intended but forgotten.
    There are also some typos, which I know is a very minor thing, but I'll make a list of them and put them in a separate post to avoid clutter in the hope it will save you some time later. Edit: typo thread can be found here.

11. jcalton

jcalton Kobold

My biggest question after reading that was what happens to discards. The answer appears to be that you actually do reshuffle if the deck runs out, so discarding is not a big deal. Personally, I'd want a tiny note related to that in the 101 such as "(If you have to discard, don't worry--you'll reshuffle your deck in the rare event that you run out of cards.)"I'm not in beta, so I wouldn't know, but maybe this literally never happens.
    In which case: (Don't worry if you have to discard--your deck contains enough cards to get you through any encounter.)

12. Jon

They're all screenshots from the game (with annotations, of course). I wonder what's going on with your game client. Perhaps you can post a screenshot of what you are seeing when you play?

13. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

Thanks! Good point about fullscreen. We should add some kind of explanation.
    Hyper linked contents will probably go back in (we took it out) when the content increases.

14. Ben_Lee

I am now working on this, thanks!

15. Ben_Lee

Cheers Dorian, fixed!
    (now I'll have to do a section showing what the front and back squares are...)

16. Ben_Lee

You win by filling up the stars meter in any kind of battle. I have added a line about Victory stars, but should expand this a bit.

17. Ben_Lee

Yes, it was originally written to be referenced from inside the game via the Help button.. But we should definately promote it better on the website.

18. Ben_Lee

The pictures are direct screen grabs and are 1:1 the same size as the game.

I will add a facing diagram soon, which shows what counts as a figure's front and back. (This is covered in the game tutorial, but I agree it would be good to show here too.)

19. Ben_Lee

Thanks, fixed the typos hopefully, I'm sure I will add more as I go ;)

20. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Yeah, the facing algorithm seems a bit mysterious now:
    [​IMG]

A,B,C,E and H are easy to understand.

F,D: Why are these facing this way? Since the character can move diagonally without turning (as B shows), why aren't these arrows the same way as E?

G,I: Why do these have a different facing? G seems to follow the same 'rule' as B whereas I seems to work like the D/E/F situation.