Games to play while waiting for this one to come out (or for the beta if you are lucky enough)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrMojoRisin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Scratch that its massively pay to win... i imagined a big single player campaign because they show you a decently sized map but its actually only a small tutorial and then its in to the pay to win arena >.< what a shame. Game mechanics and such seam nice and the balance is interesting tho so if you can look past the pay to win or are willing to pay it could be a fun game for you.

2. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

Just fiddling with it (M&M) now. Guess I will see....

3. Sharien

Sharien Mushroom Warrior

last i checked you could only use prebuilt decks and slightly modify them...not create completely new ones

...tho i just noticed...i might have misread...i was thinking of duels of the planeswalkers .... sry guys XD im an idiot and i need to learn to read :confused:

PS: dont eat me ;)

4. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

For those not yet in the beta its possible to emulate and play Hearthstone using certain programs and it seams like a good game if slightly lacking of depth.

5. Omar

Omar Kobold

how so?

6. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

Yes the campaign is pretty short, however you can play this game without spending cash. You can buy boosters using gold, and you do get gold from playing multiplayer matches. When you reach around level 14 or so, you will have gathered enough seals to buy a box containing 10 boosterpacks of the latest edition, and a box containing 10 boosterpacks of the original edition. (you can ofc buy one of those at a lower level, just making a point)

On top of that you can "redeem codes" there are like 5 or 6 codes still in effect. Some of these are xp/gold -boosts, some are cards/packs.

I've participated in 2 tournaments, in both of them i've ended up 2nd place. (out of 8 participants)

The real goldrush is in jackpot tournaments, if you can manage to be among the top tier in this, you are looking to split a billion goldpieces :)

I would say you CAN play this without paying. But yeah, pay to win, unless someone has gathered enough cards to beat you without using a cent.

For the record i am planning on spending cash in Cardhunter, one of those rare moments where i actually wish to support something :)

7. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Check out T.O.M.E., a truly awesome roguelike which recently left beta. Some of you might remember Tales of Middle Earth, which the current version evolved from. It's a modern roguelike with a nice range of classes and abilities, streamlined commands, and pretty decent graphics. You can download it at te4.org.

Grombak likes this.
  8. Groggolo

Groggolo Kobold

If you have a tablet (Apple or Android) and want to fill up some of your spare time try out Blood Brothers.
    There is not tactics or strategy involved in the combats, but the collecting, building up and trading part is quite addictive.
    So far seems there is no real need to invest money in the game (the app is free as well), plus there are several special rewards going on these days until the end of May.

Here are some links to learn more about the game

http://bloodbrothersgame.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Brothers_Wiki

http://www.youtube.com/user/HelloInterloper

If you register and want to get some more rewards, enter my invitation code please :)

7pM6JF

9. Urist McDorf

Urist McDorf Kobold

Neuroshima Hex (iOS and Android). Amazing puzzle tactics game with some assymetry (different tile decks for each faction) thrown in. The whole reactive and at the same time predictive gameplay reminds me chess. Port of a polish boardgame, really well-adapted to tablets (unlike many boardgame ports that just copy the original, er, UI? layout? and call it a day).

10. Krypt1q

Krypt1q Kobold

I just discovered The Infinate Black on android (ios?) And I love it. Definitely makes my beta key wait more bearable. It's a mmo set in space. You buy and upgrade ships and form corporations, has a lot of depth for a phone game. Can be casual or hard core depending on your play style. Its a ftp game but the in game ( bought ) currency is an uncommon loot drop and you can buy them in the market place. So you dont have to spend a dime but if you are market savvy. Check it out!

11. Krypt1q

Krypt1q Kobold

As with this game though even if you don't have to spend real money to enjoy chances are you will because you will want to support it.

12. IshidaTsuki

IshidaTsuki Orc Soldier

Another Game I really got into recently was Teleglitch. Rogue-like-ish Topdown-shooter in very Retro graphics, smooth controls and some interesting storybits sprinkled inbetween. It's quite fast too. Can only recommend it.

And for those who like more special games: Papers Please. A costums duty simulator (dont know if thats the correct word ... You control people who want to get into the country for their passports etc). Very interesting, gameplaywise qutie simple, grafics are deliberately depressing. it's in open beta atm, so everyone can download it and play it :)

13. Urist McDorf

Urist McDorf Kobold

Just tried Reus out. It's an intricate tapestry of bonuses and resource placement. I love it.

To clarify: by intricate I mean you get different types of resources you can place within town boundaries, they have specific bonuses that are triggered by other resources under certain conditions, and then you use those resources to help towns with their projects, and then the projects have their own bonuses that are also dependant on the resources the town controls, and then I haven't even mentioned the aspects yet that not only give a minor bonus, they also allow you to upgrade the resources into different resources with different conditions for triggering the extra bonuses.

14. MysteryNotes

MysteryNotes Kobold

Eve online and Dota 2. :3

15. Talonius

Talonius Mushroom Warrior

Puzzles and Dragons is a fun, addictive time waster for mobile devices. I like the RPG element coupled with the coin matching gameplay. It's free to play unless you want to spend hours playing at once, then you might have to spend a buck to buy more stamina (each dungeon costs stamina which rebuilds over time).

Torchlight 2 is a very fun game, actually a better entry to the genre than the more expensive Diablo3.

16. Zeetoois

Zeetoois Mushroom Warrior

I've got to highly recommend Ederon. I play on Kong, personally, but there's another server as well.
    On Kongregate
    Other
    It's a great game. Eight classes you can start as, then you can combine them later on as you buy cards. It takes some grinding at first, but grinding gets you through the learning curve, and by the time you've got a solid grasp on the game's mechanics, you will be starting to get a decent collection going. :)

17. Groggolo

Groggolo Kobold

Probably by now most of the people have a beta key :p but for the unlucky who do not, I would suggest to try Kingturn for Android and iOS.
    It's a highly addictive turn based fantasy strategic game, easy to learn but not so obvious to master.
    Graphics is very simple and there is no multiplayer but I find this game lot of fun!

18. Urist McDorf

Urist McDorf Kobold

Thanks, I'll check it out. It looks interesting.

19. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

nope :/

Michael Rushing likes this.
  20. erf_beto

erf_beto Kobold

If you have an Android device, you must try Pixel Dungeon:
    http://pixeldungeon.watabou.ru/
    Addictive roguelike with good (though very retro) pixel art, incredibly hard but extremely fast. Very good game - I play it all the time, even while waiting for the elevator in my building.