Card Hunter Club feedback

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Sir Knight, Apr 18, 2013.

1. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I'm aware of the rarity thing guys. its still a random drop. Its just doubling up which is something a lot of sub f2p games have.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Sure, and we have conflicting opinions on how it will be recieved. That's fine - just saying, I don't see it as completely random since you pay for something that factors into loot for those times you are aware of the coming rarity - meaning mostly pvp or premium adventures. Removing the guaranteed rarity, less people would likely see this as p2w rather than a benefit...

... especially considering BM's stance on their economy up to this.

SurgeonFish likes this.
  3. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Yeah, I agree it could be argued. I played a lot in beta and just like the first game it didn't hold me long in release.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'll let others argue these points, as I've already said most of what I feel, but I think I can at least clarify.

Being "like other subscription services" is, itself, what's bothering some folks. The "rewards being random" bit is already understood: this card game is fundamentally random, you get random loot from normal play, you get more random loot from paying money, and therefore your "random game" is better than your neighbor's if you pay money. The question: is this 150% loot enough to be "pay to win"?

And then there's the other side: this ISN'T "like other subscription services" in certain ways. How many of those other games force you to sit through 150% of the animation time after every battle and play sound effects to let you know you're supposed to spend money? "Just ignore it" applies to things like, say, an ad on the corner of the page which merely sits there and can be muted with no harm. More comparable would be pop-up ads that force you to wait some minimum time before you may close them; people often complain about such ads.

And thus, for these and other reasons, we have the debate.

5. barbalatte

barbalatte Mushroom Warrior

I might not play cardhunter at all cause of this. I dont want to have to pay a montlhy fee on top of buying figures and unlucking missions.

6. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

You don't have to pay for any of the things you mention. You can play for free and have just as much fun, I think.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Don't get it confused this is not a subscription fee for playing the game its a premium membership fee that you can pay to get extra advantages in this case more loot from adventures and pvp chests. While price and all that can be discussed to the end of beta one thing is important for people to realize. You do not now nor should you ever have to pay for this to enjoy the game as a whole. This is for speeding up and smoothing out progression slightly. The reason I'm so against it currently is that i want to be competitive in pvp and this will be a requirement early on for sure.

8. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Personally I pray for the day that I will be competitive with Wozarg in PvP.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Look at it this way you where the first dev to beat me and the second not sure if anyone beat me after that but its very possible the odds are against you in a chance based game. Also i get far too much credit I'm really not half as good as people think or 1/50th as good as people expect after seeing all the "praise" i get.

10. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

I'm quite certain that Jon and Farbs think you threw those games to give me encouragement.

11. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

I don't know if this matters but:
    I tried the Club and in one mission I got from chest a Common and an Uncommon, and as special reward a Common, so or there is some bug, or maybe the devs change the special reward in a completely random item?

EDIT: next battle - chest: Common, Common, special reward: Uncommon.
    I think is completely random...

12. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Dugrim, the Club gives you an item at least equal in rarity to the highest guaranteed chest drop for that map. For regular maps, you are guaranteed 2 Common items. You can get lucky and have an Uncommon or a Rare or even better drop, but you are only guaranteed to get Common items. So for these chests it is perfectly reasonable to have your chest rewards better than the Club reward. For the final map in an adventure, you are guaranteed one Uncommon item. Thus, for the last battle your Club reward is also a guaranteed Uncommon. It's still possible to have the chest drop a Legendary and the Club reward to drop an Uncommon, as the Club only promises an item equal to what you are guaranteed, not what you actually get.

For premium adventures, the battles leading up to the end are the same, a couple guaranteed Common items but possible to get better. The final battle guarantees you an Epic; so there the Club reward will also be at least an Epic. Even if you get lucky and pull a Legendary, your Club reward will probably still "only" be Epic.

So, the specific item you get is random. The MINIMUM rarity of that item is guaranteed. But just because the regular chest might give you something better than you expected doesn't mean the Club reward will.

13. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

. . . The fact that we've had to figure out that distinction TWICE in this thread (thrice?) suggests that it's more than a little confusing.

14. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

I have to clear my text: the Uncommon reward item was in the third battle of a quest (liar of the yellow dragon, against wisps and ogres), not the final one, something strange no?
    I know the "trick" of guaranteed item, but I think this is not the case, but maybe I'm wrong and even in not a final battle you could have a guaranteed Uncommon?

15. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

No.

Just like the regular chest, which only guarantees a Common but can still give something much better, the Club reward also only guarantees a Common but can still give something much better.

The minimum rarity is guaranteed. Not the maximum.

16. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Ok, got it.

17. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

I agree with you! they should update the text and make it clear

18. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I don't have any qualms with the current set up for the Club rewards. Any content you pay for only adds to your game play experience. In this case the Club increases the rewards you receive, while still requiring the same amount of effort as a non-club member.

When I look at the prospects of Club membership it strikes me the same as simply spending that Pizza on Chests. Either way you are in effect paying for as Wozarg said,
    At least with the Club you are still required to put forth the effort (and win) in order to obtain your rewards. In my view one method grants an immediate cache of spoils while the other offers more for continued toils.

I agree that it is still a game of chance. You are only increasing your reward count by a single item for each victory. With the sear volume and variety of items in CardHunter it stands to reason that you may find a Legendary you don't deem worth it, or a common you do. And as Pegw1n pointed out,
    , but after all your paying for a better chance.

Modesty, it's what I like about you!

19. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

I actually really like how the club works, duplicating the highest guaranteed rarity, and I think the confusion comes from the contents of each chest not being communicated well to the player. If the item rarity for each chest that you open was listed on the loot screen, the confusion would go away. For instance, below the chest it would say "2 items of random rarity" or "3 items of random rarity and 1 item guaranteed rare or better". And then below the cushion for the club item it would say "1 bonus item of random rarity" or "1 bonus item guaranteed rare or better" respectively.

EDIT: Also, some of the outrage might be mitigated simply by renaming it. People are used to "boosts" to things like XP and currency gain in F2P games, and that's basically what this is, but people are viewing it as an optional subscription because of its name and duration. If you changed the name to something like "Chest Loot Boost" and added some lower durations (like 3 and 7 day "boosts") people may view it in a more positive light.

20. Mance

Mance Kobold

I'm still only playing through the first few maps but did anyone else notice the club reward item no longer pops up next to chests anymore? I sort of feel bad for disliking it now that the developers have awesomely gone and changed it already during beta. Adding back a reminder next to reward chests probably wouldn't be a bad idea if it's subtle or maybe if it doesn't show the actual cards? I can't see anyone disliking that.