Co-op for one

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Nosgoup, May 28, 2021.

1. Nosgoup

Nosgoup War Monkey

I know, spirit of the game and that...

But I did used to enjoy playing co-op with myself in 2 browser tabs. Now that's not an option, is it at all possible to have two accounts active on one machine?

winner and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Nope Sorry. I used to do the same.

winner and Nosgoup like this.
  3. I'm about to write some comment to the "Server Maintenance May 21" thread that might contain some more info, if so I will link it here. (There isn't much more information but as I teased this link, I might just add it.)

But the TL;DR: a VM. Create a virtual machine of whatever operating system that is not Mac (if you are familiar with Linux this might be the most performant solution here) or two in case you want to play in a team of three, install Steam in the VM(s) and link each VM to a different Card Hunter account. Apparently, you also need several Steam accounts for that if my short internet search is anything to go by, because Steam doesn't allow you to play on different machines in parallel. Whether multi-accounting is legal in regards to Steam's ToS, I don't know.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Nosgoup and Sir Veza like this.
  4. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

Legal, not sure. Enforced... know of at least one example where it clearly isn't, as someone was banned from a Game Forum because a bunch of twerps were
    ganging up on him with complaints, but when he changed accounts and avoided the (did I say twerps... ok...) "twerps", his account is still live despite it
    being pretty obvious from his posts that it's him.

Prehaps more importantly, "family"/household sharing is legal in Steam. So if you have a young sibling, or an old person, or whoever that doesn't use
    Steam, it's fine to have them sign up and share your paid Library with them, which isn't even needed in the case of Cardhunter since it's free.

On an "unrelated note": Voter fraud historically has involved signing up dead people... again... no hint implied... *cough cough*.

On a slightly more serious note, I'm still very upset about losing XP viability. You can get an XP laptop or even an XP
    desktop with a small display for maybe $30 to $50, and it's a nice thing to have around as a backup for email and the like if/while
    your main computer might being having hardware/replacement/repair/virus/Windows-just-trashed-itself-again-for-no-reason
    issues.

Note: I said "viability", not "support" because I'm so sick of a-holes like Steam intentionally making their product so it
    doesn't run on XP/Vista and claiming it's merely "Unsupported"... "Unsupported" is leaving it alone. But pushing an "update" to
    intentionally break something is destroying it intentionally... not allowing it to become "unsupported." In other words, I'm
    talking about doing something like leaving the website up rather than necasarily actively offering technical support for said
    website, allowing us to use it if and when we're able to.

Nosgoup, fatcat__25 and Sir Veza like this.
  5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This would allow you to get the co-op boost to LF loot without playing with other people; receiving a material advantage thanks to an interaction between your two accounts. Never allowed. Sorry :)

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Still useful when, like today, I have 2 accounts with bandits in the same treasure hunt. Sometimes hard to find co-op for those.

"I am shocked! Shocked! To learn players did such things!"

winner and Nosgoup like this.
  7. Nosgoup

Nosgoup War Monkey

Thanks for the clarification, Flax. That's fairy fair.

I must say, a week later, I've only gone and surprised myself by not feeling at all invested in the OP. I'm not being fickle, or scared off by authority — I really didn't think it was in me — but I've mostly had a uniformly good to completely excellent co-op experience since jumping back into the game. Not sure I even care that it's not efficient!

But I do have your back, Sir Veza. You're welcome to buzz me if you ever need a bandit buddy and you see me online, however many accounts over that may be.

8. winner

winner Orc Soldier

I used to enjoy playing with 2 accounts but now too bad its over but it was fun playing it on web browser while it lasted.

Sir Veza and Nosgoup like this.