Behavior like this needs to not be tolerated

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by snickersimba, Mar 22, 2021.

1. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

upload_2021-3-22_19-4-23.png
    I politely informed said user his character names were in violation of cardhunter rules, said user proceeded to insult me and berate me for asking them to keep cardhunter family friendly and unoffensive for all. I would like to see all users who cannot handle the relatively simple task of naming their characters nonoffensive terms be permanently banned.
    In addition, there are two users I have seen around; wayn_ker and sirkickass. Both usernames are in violation of cardhunters ToS and I do not feel they set the correct tone for the game.

Let us all work together to keep cardhunter family friendly and respectful!

fatcat__25 likes this.
  2. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I was expecting way worse than this before clicking on the image. I guess they're a bit much, but it'd not even register to me as something to report if I came across it.

And in what corner of the internet is "sirkickass" in violation of the ToU? This is Card Hunter, not Club Penguin. Wayn_Ker is also farfetched, maybe that's somebody's actual but somewhat unfortunate name?

EDIT: Besides, isn't this what the report function is for? Rather than this public naming and shaming.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

In the corner of the Internet where offensive language is allegedly against the rules.

I agree with snicker's post, other than CH also having the "no public naming" rule. As for "what the report function is for," I've reported these character names when I've seen them for years, yet here they still are; for that matter, I reported a recent addition to the forum whose username is straight up profanity, and a mod informed me it was in the admins' hands, and here the user still has the same name. I know CH has like two unfortunate in-game profanities itself, (which usually makes me wonder what's the point of rules against such,) but otherwise, the game and community have a clean atmosphere, and it'd be nice to continue enjoying it that way – yet snicker's insinuation is right, a bunch of this junk has been tolerated for a long time, and in the short time under new administration, there's been no apparent change yet, either.

fatcat__25 likes this.
  4. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

If the names were reported and no action was taken, then the names aren't actually against the rules. The language is, contrary to what you think, not offensive enough to warrant action. They have to draw the line somewhere, apparently this doesn't cross that line.

Apparently even something like Void Bastards is fine in terms of profanity, since it's advertised in the Twitter feed and here and there on the forum. It'd be very hypocritical and confusing of them to then turn and ban someone for having a character named "******bag". The only name in the first post that comes close to offensive for me is Carpet Muncher, and that's only because it could be interpreted as a slur.

EDIT: I'm surprised that word is actually censored. Absolutely bizarre and nonsensical. Is it just "******" or "******bag" that gets censored? ****** isn't even just an insult, it can be a shower. Wow that's stupid.

5. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

or, it could be that the report function actually doesn't work, or gets ignored far too often. We need a dedicated member to handle this kind of stuff. I am not implying I want the job, I personally have too much baggage to be a mod in cardhunter; but someone like bob or another well respected member of the community should be given "deputy" mod status to remove problem users.

fatcat__25 likes this.
  6. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I saw some quite offensive german words used as character names not too long ago, didnt even notice at first because i mentally switch to english mode once logged in. Raises the question which other non-english bad words are floating around unnoticed. My innocence!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. gurjanigurjani

gurjanigurjani Orc Soldier

Lots of Chinese usernames are curse words heh.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Chat posts as well, according to Translate. If we have a spate of players who start using a separate translation site to see whether they can feel offended, I'll be disappointed. There are better things to do while awaiting a match.

9. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I'd like to thank @Maniafig for demonstrating the point that plenty of words are considered worse than another might think. (He actually implied this logic via saying the opposite, but the accidental demonstration thereof was wonderful.)

There's a B word that means female dog. Nothing wrong with it, right? Just a dog. She's female. ~shrug~
    There's a B word that refers to a child born out of wedlock. Pretty clinical term, right? These days, many people aren't even worried if you're conceived in fornication.
    There's a D word that relates to internal hygiene, usually the context being an unrecommended form because it's actually more dangerous than helpful. That's just technical stuff, right? ~shrug~

Except no. These words are also used as slurs, as insults, as pejoratives, as derogatory name-calls. (Maniafig is correct about the hypocrisy of Blue Manchu having said let's keep the community family-friendly and then announcing Void B. like it was nothing; he applied it in the other direction, but I'm still calling it correct. If not hypocrisy, then at the very least inconsistency.) This beautifully demonstrated case in point was Maniafig merely quoting one of these fine, non-insult, tolerated character names and getting auto-censored on the forum. (Pardon me while The Laughing Rogue laughs out loud for a moment! $X^ D Lol. ~sigh~ Okay.) One can claim that the cleansing "D word" is not an insult, but the dictionary (and forum software!) disagree. Its being an insult is stupid imo, but I don't lexicograph the language.

As for the gist behind this thread, I'd like to see better consistency. There are plenty of people accepting of profanity who don't care and who laugh at it. But then, what is profanity? Various secular reference material informs that it's obscenity, "bad words," culturally offensive language, etc. Sure, plenty of people accept plenty of offensive things, Internet or no, but Card Hunter was designed and programmed with a button to report "Abusive or Offensive . . ." and "Inappropriate . . ." and it'd be nice to know such invited reports are not being ignored just because someone in an official position accepts the obscene, the bad, the culturally offensive.

Regards,

fatcat__25 likes this.
  10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

We're dealing with numerous cultures in this community. Perhaps @Sir Civil can provide some guidance from the new Devs?

11. Sir Civil

Sir Civil Administrator Staff Member

The report function is working. Believe me :)

When it comes to offensive names, it's very easy to overreact and do a very bias interpretation. Like wayn ker and sirkickass. Especially the first player. We made a further investigation and this name is just unfortunate. With the next patch, we will improve the character name filter, because we are aware that names are causing some troubles and the current character name filter is not perfect. (Well, tbh it's quite poor when it comes to amount of words) For now, you can hit me up on email/discord/forums if you feel like some names are offensive.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021