Misguided Heal to the Death

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Robauke, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

is doable in combination with open wound and at times even without.

i am determined to optimize this as well as possible, dunno whos left interested in wacky builds, but i would appreciate some outside the box thinking how to get this even more fluid.

Heres my current setup, a relatively fresh creation. Slotname "Twisted Heal"
    I keep editing this first post for more thoughts.

Uzma - supporting, not really part of the firing squad
    Level 1 Human Priest
    Knife Of St. Blenko
    Initiate's Glaive - i need a few curses for cheap debuff plus block check
    Stargod's Raiments
    Snitrick's Shield - whatever
    Skipping Boots - whatever
    Forsaken Earrings x2 - growing to like them, the twin heals is usually block check
    Demon Charm Of The 7th Circle
    Forsaken Earrings
    Venerable Positioning
    Novice Ablution - prbly going for altruism /untrained piety

1 x Purge
    1 x Bad Luck
    1 x Bless
    2 x Penetrating Lunge
    2 x Open Wound
    1 x Cushioning Armor
    1 x Vanguard
    3 x Wounded Block
    1 x Healing Dash
    2 x Reaching Swing
    1 x Strong Stab
    1 x Delegate
    2 x Twin Heals
    2 x Inspiring Presence
    1 x Flanking Move
    1 x Reliable Hide Armor
    3 x Curse Of Fragility
    1 x Icy Block
    2 x Spear Of Darkness
    2 x Holy Presence
    2 x Martyr Blessing
    1 x Unholy Wellspring
    1 x Demonic Power
    1 x Enervating Touch
    Fyriosa [99K]
    Level 12 Human Priest
    Static
    Level 16 Human Priest

some closing thoughts:
    misguided heal got excellent range.

Theres a good chance your opponent never ever gets to move first next round.

You might be able to build without wellspring and use only fragile curse and arcane aura for respectable 6 dmg on soft targets.

Against first concerns, inspiring presence has proven to be a great catalyst, often cantrip and certainly not affecting the current open wound target.

You have to test for blocks and armor before you try applying open wound.
    Wishful outcome is a fatal cantrip volley of 4-5 mHeals in one action. Up to 9 dmg per mHeal is possible in the current setup (+5 by buff, +2 by debuff of the target). Usually its 5 dmg for the wellspring.

I feel the gheal appliance treshold is whatever is the base hp of the race/class character -8, so you wouldnt for example heal a elf warrior before you get the full 8 hp from the gheal (16-17 hp). If you target an already slighted wounded character, giving him the rest with 4-5 dmg misguided heals isnt too far fetched. To take into account, the boosted "wound" opening does usually 3-4 dmg as well.

Not unlike vamps, theres a considerable amount of self healing going.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Mama Mia, Kornl, Sir Veza and 4 others like this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Funny how you and I keep coming up with similar ideas. $:^ ]

I'm trying to remember whom I confided this idea in well over a year ago. (Confided because unlike you I don't tend to share my wacky ideas until I've gotten good wins out of them. I like knowledge advantage since I'm not as good a player as so many of you...) Room9 / @Han Lee? Then, he got @Testlum involved I believe, and they tried to make it work, but couldn't consistently. (I don't recall whether this were before or after the Savage Curse nerf. Possibly before, but I never owned a Skull Of Savage Iljin until afterward.)

My basic goal, from memory: Misguided Heal has 8 range and can Cantrip with Talented Healer? Oh ho ho. Now, how to overcome that Heal 4... (This was well before Open Wound came to us via Aloyzo.) One priest set up with Focused Healer, Shoddy Healing Token ×3, Poisoner's Harness, and Arcane Aura boots (Ulalia's Boots (minortoken) are good for more Cantrip, but Xander's Boots' (majortoken) Escaping Run could be pretty helpful). Also, try to get New Convert's Sling through AA (Misguided ×6)—but since this concept has been said out loud now and Acquire Within (Hard) won't be the only thing justifying it, I'm gonna give up hope on that as of 13 hours ago. $;^ J

From there, the races provided a couple different advantages: an Elf could keep better distance + could use hand reveals to check better for Blocks and Armor, but a Human could Battlefield Training over some more Misguided Heals or Auras; I don't see a Dwarf bringing anything special here. Then, too, to handle said enemy Armor, a Wizard with some direct Acid hits could help—and if a Human with Training and Auras, all the better; for that matter, a Wizard could work on Blocks, control, and diversion (because since when is the Priest the range 8 killer? lol!). The Divine Weapon was always kind of up in the air: with all those tokens available, Long Axe Of Repentance is certainly the most focused, but I always kind of wondered if a single copy of some (majortoken)(majortoken) off-hand weapon might be good, too, like how Darkforce Nunchaku can contain quite the finisher, maybe Cursed Radcannon (or Glowing Laser Baton). I'm more wary of Laser Malfunctions when allies have Arcane Aura... Lastly, since I touted the benefit of a Wizard, that char could also have finishing blow(s) lined up.

All that said, Open Wound definitely provides the answer to "how to overcome that Heal 4." That's where different deckbuilding philosophies need to be hashed out. If each party member is focused on one part of the combo, it's easy to focus on one's role and more often have the appropriate cards to make it work. (After all, this is still a fragile combo in my opinion. Gotta get past Blocks, Armor, and various Purges, plus at least one character still empties a hand (albeit at a safer distance than the usual AOA combo).) Or, if it's spread out a bit more, then yay because if one basket dies, not all your eggs die with it ("all your eggs in one basket" is an old cautionary idiom)—but the characters lose focus, and you can interrupt that steady stream of destruction too easily, like the plus & minus of a vampire Priest who equips one's own buffs.

Meanwhile, Rob's 4 Unholy Wellsprings certainly help. I've never liked Priests' Unholy buffs potentially damaging Arcane Auras, though. Makes me suddenly wonder if Outcast's Relic would be of good use to give Bad Luck to an Aura'd Priest before lobbing

Most likely, there's still a solid (majortoken) or (minortoken) to be spent on my take. Shield or something. I see Rob went with some Defender's Block options. If centralizing all the Misguided eggs into one Priest basket, I wonder if that combo piece getting Beacon Shield might be better.

Hopefully my thoughts weren't too scattered. Been a long while since I mused over this. Regards!

Sir Veza and fatcat__25 like this.
  3. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

the combo itself is not as fragile as one might think, in the current map rotation, there are enough soft targets around. Often other priests, that rely in defense a lot on high healing numbers. Once the healing priest ins gone, you can gnaw away whats left with the sturdyness and the card advantage of the vamp like priests (though the everpresent snitricks last stand can hurt for its pulverizing). So in a way its not only misguided heals, you can somewhat shift focus to buffed range 2 melee later on.

I need a certain card pool and focussing certain tasks too much on one priests can leave me optionless after that ones death. One priest obviously already bundles the holy magic and therefore uses altruism now. Not all range attacks need to be cantrip, the killing blow doesn't need to be. Over the years i learned that the golden number for a key card is 4. Same here, I feel you need 4 "open wound" to work around.
    I tried a control mage for a few matches with a lot of barriers and medium garb (in hopes for fragile and unholy curses), but it didnt go well. might have been a bad run. But it definitely slows the core idea down a lot.

unholy wellspring is usually enough to make this work, the aura might be optional. its usually the one thing or the other. In 10-15 games, casting wellspring onto a priest with aura never worked for me, it always triggered the armor.

Open wound has definitely interesting interactions. Most ppl even mistake it for fragile curse and threw their greater heals at it, puzzled. It reduces the popular sacred shroud to a measly armor 1 reduction for the target.

Weird is negative energy being: seems open wound decides first that theres no heal, then negative energy doesnt have an effect at all, the battle log suggests otherwise (see below). Flavourwise misguided heal should be perfect to kill a 1 hp negative energy priest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

This a more down to earth version attempting to use misguided offensively. Its more fortified and has more engagement options to offer.
    With steady mass frenzy and the occasional fragile curse i reach the 5 dmg I want per misguided heal. Theres no need for a kill in one go, you can spread volleys over multiple rounds, waiting for new draws, since youll be usually the one ending on cantrip while your opponent wont be able to heal the target in the meantime. You will loose the fragile debuff though and your enemy might get fresh blocks.

I am sorry it turned into a bless fest, but since you have to preserve your talented healer, other card draw options pale.

Pask
    Level 1 Human Priest
    Fyriosa [99K]
    Level 12 Human Priest
    OP Man
    Level 1 Human Priest

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Sir Veza likes this.