Passing the Baton

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

Here's the post I made in 2019 when I finally did get the Uncommon Achievement on Steam

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

At the suggestion of @Gast86 I sold and repurchased uncommon items one at a time in Skarl's, and discovered my culprit was a Small Emerald (Level 5).
    Since I was going in item type sequence, this took a while.
    Thanks, Gast!

Blizzrd33 and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  3. Casual42

Casual42 Orc Soldier

Ah, Card Hunter!

I've been playing it on kong (anyone else? anyone?) almost daily for 2 years.
    A hidden gem. I love this game, but for some reason never managed to convince a single friend to join. "Random blocks" is the main reason they'd give, before moving on to rng-riddled Hearthstone.

I don't understand. It should have been Blue Manchu's ticket to fortune and glory. Why did it never take off? I picture the team in my mind, willing to move on from a semi-failure but moved by the dedication of the community... But they could not stay in that limbo forever. They had to give it their all, or cut the cord. They wanted to try new things. They chose #2.

CH as we experienced it, now resides in our memories. The new CH, for better or for worse, will be something else.

I didn't speak much on the forums, but I had a great time with you pals. May you find what you seek. Maybe we'll meet again someday.

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Mr. 42, it sounds almost like you're talking about leaving now. Surely that can't be the case. But, just to humor us, if you were ever to leave, why ever would that be? $F^ J

Btw, I found CH via Kongregate. Only stopped playing there over time because my poor little laptop at the time couldn't handle it for anything in the world, crashing all the time. Eventually, I found it could play stably on Steam for me (and thus I installed Steam for CH).

Scratchy1024, Casual42 and Sir Veza like this.
  5. Founder

Founder Hydra

Good to hear that someone is keeping the CardHunter flame alight. I've not been around for a few years (life crisis dragged me away and I never got back into it). Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed playing this game, how unlike anything else it is, and how much I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes next.

Thanks Blue Manchu, and thanks Knights of Unity.

6. RaysinBran

RaysinBran Kobold

I made an account to specifically respond to this, please for the love of god don't encourage just forum based. Discord is much better to attract younger members to the game, I haven't used a forum since early 2000s. Sorry grandpa but get with the times.

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I don't object to Discord as another option, but I see nothing wrong with forums.
    Side note: If I was your grandpa I'd disinherit you for snarkyness and ignorance.
    (The ignorance might be mine or yours, but either way you'd get nothing. Just sayin'.)

8. RaysinBran

RaysinBran Kobold

Forums is a dead medium, that's the problem.

9. ParodyKnaveBob

Y'know, we've been talking about various reasons to split the ranked competition(s) into two categories. If we do get the suggested sudden influx of new members, I propose that could be one way to organize it: ol' geezer ranked & li'l whippersnapper ranked. Much to my chagrin, I guess I'll be in the former. I know Veza's out, but ho ho, @WhiteSorcerer, dust off your Prawns, I'm comin' for you!

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. RaysinBran

RaysinBran Kobold

My fiancé and I just want more campaign missions. We don’t play any of the PvP. The map is largely empty.

Maniafig, mikey76500 and Sir Veza like this.
  11. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

To you maybe, but not to everybody.

12. RaysinBran

RaysinBran Kobold

To anyone under the age of 30, yes.

13. Flandur

Flandur War Monkey

I'm 24 years old and I don't think that the forums are a dead place. However, a Discord server, a subreddit or any other way of a communication can be a good thing imho. Personally, I'd use every single channel as long as I can manage it, because people are familiar with different services.

Scratchy1024, Sir Veza, Reint and 3 others like this.
  14. doublequartz

doublequartz Lizardman Priest

I've seen games whose playerbase won't agree on any infrastructure that's not shiny. Card Hunter is not one of them.
    Forums have their limitation, and I understand we're getting a Discord server to compensate. Quick discussions and VC has situations where they're really effective and hard to come by.
    There are few reasons we can't just throw away the forums, though. The amount of quality content we have here impresses me, and it's a lot to lose. Posts from 2014 still inspires me. If we were on Discord, these contents would have been buried fast.
    I've not used Discord in a while, so I don't know if people there are still toxic, but I can see they did anything but to prove me otherwise. As such, I have no plan to be there again until Eris come back to the mortal world to rule them. That is, something I hope Card Hunter can actually help with.

15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The discarding of history has become a primary theme of world and US politics. It is less about successful than failed nations. God bless Poland and Solidarnosc for winning the cold war.
    The history of a simple game is also worth knowing.
    If you prefer to remain ignorant forever, use twitter.

16. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Kobold

Keep the Card Hunter forums. The fact that most of the """hip and trendy""" games/communities have Discords now... let's just say that I'm wary of any one platform having too much power or influence, and I recommend keeping the Card Hunter forums both for archive purposes, to preserve history, and to "hedge our bets", so to speak.

17. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

I think we may have seen the first manifestation of an indication of a new team effecting the game.

For as along as I've been playing, about 3 and half years, I've never noticed the League schedule to be anything other than either:
    a) 2 Quickdraws and 2 Fixed-Deck formats, or
    b) 2 Quickdraws plus one Constructed-Deck and one Fixed-Deck format.

The current rotation is only 1 Quick-draw (for the first I've ever noticed) and 1 Fix Deck, and TWO CONSTURCTED DECK FORMATS. (Triple Threat plus Golden Shrine.)

I'm pretty sure this didn't take any programming effort, the developers simply upload the League schedule when it's due, but since this is different than before, I suspect it's either the new developers that uploaded it, or a request by the new developers for Blue Manchu to change the format.

Because I've played for so long, and have spent some money on the game, I'm personally pretty happy with the months schedule - I have a very good gear collection and it's nice to be able to use it more in the Leagues... However...

With 2 Constructed deck formats running at once, it's definitely more of a pay-to-win move than in the past. It's a pretty small change mind you, but so far it seems to be the only real evidence of any changes that I know of.

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I don't see this as pay to win, but it does favor players with good collections. We've had people with completed collections who never spent a dime on the game.
    It just takes time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    ParodyKnaveBob and fatcat__25 like this.
  19. ParodyKnaveBob

Yeah, I was ready to hit Like throughout the whole post until it came to the P2W comment.

Triple Duel standards: Lucky Toughness and Boots Of Safety are Common; Parrying Buckler is Uncommon. EDIT: Silly me, forgot Blocking Mace, Common.
    Triple Duel possibilities: There are a couple usable Barge items at Rare. I'm seeing plenty of good Commons with Boosted Heal, too. Violent Spin may be Rare, but @Flaxative's favorite, ( $;^ D ) Muscle Through, is Uncommon.

Golden Shrine possibilities: Boots Of Safety, Common; multiple Elvish Scamper options, only one as high as Rare; plenty of good Smoke Bomb options in the Common and Uncommon range; Wall Of Illusion moreso in the Uncommon range; Double-Edged Sword is Uncommon; some nice Uncommon Impenetrable Nimbus options, too.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    fatcat__25 and Sir Veza like this.
  20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Thinking outside the Bollocks! (Highest regards to Sid Vicious, and his Never Minding.)
    Have you guessed it yet? Yes, I'm drunk again.
    I never drink until the sun is over the yardarm. Which is why I built a triple-gimbal mounted yardarm once I'd retired. It's all about flexibility.
    edit: It's in my yard, not on my boat. I'm not (yet) that daft.

Flaxative likes this.