Passing the Baton

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Lol too true, adminned Civil, who are the other Knights?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I think it's safe to assume that the Knights, now in control of the user editor tools, can make as many admin accounts in-game as they'd like =)

Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  3. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

Oh, you're still alive, @Flaxative! Are you still staying on as an in-game Moderator?

4. Abbus

Abbus Orc Soldier

These are really good news, guys!

Having read all the posts before, I really agreed with @Stexe and @Vakaz on the idea to REDUCE the amount of luck needed to play the game (erratic damages, and so on).

Plus, I honeslty think it wound't be a bad idea to act towards a new general balance on most OP cards (like delegate and bless, for example).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Lord Feleran and Vakaz like this.
  5. Sir Civil

Sir Civil Administrator Staff Member

We are currently working on a solution for the web version, but we have no ETA on this (e.g. standalone client). The Steam version is not going anywhere, and we highly recommend using this version of the game for now. You can log in to your account through Steam and keep playing the game (all your progress is safe). The game site will be updated soon.

We have a lot of ideas for Card Hunter. Next week we will start the new Card Hunter Discord server to have more active conversations with all of you regarding features and feedback you would like to see in Card Hunter. That's why we don't want to share anything specific yet when it comes to CH future. Our priority for the current time being is to find a good workaround for the web version.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey! I'm going to be around, and my in-game account seems to still be in the mods user group! That's all I can say for right now :)

7. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

Great! I'm hoping you're able to just take the Adobe Air version they made for Steam, remove the Steam API, and then add payments.
    If needed, (perhaps as a temporary measure to get it up and running faster) the website itself could process payments from a non-Flash HTML page and then just report the purchase in a file or database somewhere so the game client could find it. :)

As a huge fan who also tries to think about games from the business-perspective as well, my concern is that the game doesn't lose "critical mass" for PvP due to a loss non-Steam users.

As I said before, I think it might be good idea if the actual URL of https://store.steampowered.com/app/293260/Card_Hunter/
    was posted instead of just "The Steam Version" still works. I don't know if figuratively everyone under the age of 35 knows what "Steam" is... maybe they do... but a lot of players aren't that young.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  8. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

Cardhunter, in the PvP, is in some ways like a cross between a CCG and Chess....

Now, newer gamers may not believe this, but "Chess" is a game where people haven't added "new content" for a very long time, but it still stays alive and has many fans and players!

If nobody messes up the Cardhunter PvP balence, it's like that. So, IMO, it'll keep running if nobody kills it. (Unless the Flash Shutoff stops it from having enough "critical mass" to not be
    able to get a PvP game easily... but that hasn't happened YET, and hopefully won't.)

[I just posted that in Steam; it's a lot shorter than my earlier (>15000 characters) posts, but still address the main point(s)] :)

ParodyKnaveBob and fatcat__25 like this.
  9. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

oh yeah, i'm a mod. time to go relearn all the mod commands in game, haha

10. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

What an interesting development overall! I'm on board for discussions over Discord. I've played this game's multiplayer for so long that I've toyed around with most of the cards already. I'm more than willing to help get the game more balanced for MP, as well as bring life to old cards with some new ideas.

As always it's nice to see old faces here :)

Reint, ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  11. neonko-sensei

neonko-sensei Kobold

@Sir Civil i think a reboot should honor the best warriors of the previous era with special items, as suggested by one of hte most legendary card hunters ever it would be a nice gesture htat also adds depth to the lore of the game ^_^

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  12. HerselfTheElf

HerselfTheElf Orc Soldier

After coming back after not playing for some time some people told me there were new devs. So here is where all the information is, I guess.

First off I would like to thank crew at Blue Manchu for all their hard work. I have not always seen all decisions as good, but this game has still been made into a gem that few games can compete with (usually due to incompetent devs). My temporary quitting usually has to do with the monotony, leagues provide some relief, but with many of them being purely luck based even that becomes a bit of a slog when cards don't go your way. So it isn't due to... the game being bad or some such. The grind just gets to me on this game, for some reason. It requires so much focus that I get burnt out easily, which is why a chill CoC or 1 HP challenge would be nice, but I'm done with most 1 HP challenges, they're not worth it, and everyone hates CoC.

My 2 cents on WN is that it's awesome. CM was the best update ever in my opinion. I just wish some cards, specifically Elf Skills, allowed them to compete after the Maneuvers nerf. Elves are just kind of... meh right now. But other than that it was way better than the Citadel expansion (which I hate, Lasers are so luck based). I do like some cards, like Cooling Laser, but in general it's too luck-based. WN unfortunately is only on really rare items. The great thing about WN is it equalizes, and really disrupts bad. Even the best WN decks, however, simply aren't going to result in a good win-rate for a skilled player. You can just get bad draws, no Purge, fighting Werewolves as Ethereal, etc. Also, it's bloody fun, but it just isn't competitive. Perhaps for the better since it's extremely hard to play against.

Maybe everyone (I know I would) would appreciate it if the new Devs can make an announcement on how they see the future of the game. Any PvP changes that will or will not happen. Most players here seem to be concerned about the PvP balance being messed up, but I think it can definitely be made better than it is now, as long as things aren't randomly smashed with a nerf bat or broken. I really don't like dice rolls, for instance. Many things can easily be made less luck-reliant while still being kept balanced. Then there's just weak cards (Not Muscle Through! I hate that card lol) that are overvalued and could be made a little better. I feel like the new items (particularly from Citadel) made rarer items much better than they were in the past. I remember I could compete as a new player without even the essential rares, and with those few rares 1600+ was easily possible. Maneuvers nerf changed that and now even EM Elves need legends for support, I think this might cause new players to give up earlier. It's just really hard to compete at the 1500+ level now without some of the crazy good rare items.

13. Great to hear this officially. Given that you took over the game weeks before Flash was declared dead, I hope for my own fun with this game, that the non-Flash client won't need TOOO much time. But rather make it good than quick. Card Hunter isn't the only browser game that had/has to manage this transition and I've seen really bad examples, so... Hit me up, if you need a beta tester (even in the early stages).

Great, another game that makes itself reliant on 3rd-party services. Awesome, I love it. Because accepting the ToS of some game definitely cannot be enough to have a chat with anyone. A PROPER game has to require membership in a dozen other services that are all free to use (money-wise) and are therefore selling personal information to make profit or just spamming my mail address. Seriously, what do you guys have a forum and an ingame chat for (the same game as above even got rid of their forum because of Discord)? As if Discord would even be a constant. I remember a time where every group of players of whatever game had a Skype group chat. Ever heard of those chat groups in the last decade? And this wasn't because Skype wasn't capable of features new platforms were offering. They are all essentially the same only some other company is making money off of user data! And Discord will become obsolete eventually when the new hot **** comes around. I for one will be happy to share my opinions... when discussions hit the forum.

Sir Veza and doublequartz like this.
  14. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I know I raised my brow when the mention of moving discussion to Discord dropped, both because I rather like the comfy feeling of a forum and because it didn't seem very "on-brand" for Card Hunter so to speak, based on my observations of its vocal users. I know Melvin would likely type up a storm at the very whiff of a suggestion of the idea. Personally, I've spent some time in a few game Discords, and I did find them to be more cliquey and toxic, as well as more needing of constant moderation. People are much more likely to lose their cool when they post in short bursts rather than write singular long comments, and the discussions never reached the same level of depth I'd encounter on a forum.

On the other hand, they were good for quick and snappy discussions. Perhaps more lively discussions could be had in Discord about things like custom boards and MM/AA submissions compared to the forum and in-game chat, where you'd be lucky to have three people comment about it. But I don't think that's something that warrants a shift from the developers away from the public forum towards Discord, I always liked how Blue Manchu mostly used this forum as a means to communicate with the forums.

... There will be designated rooms for taking about AA and MM submissions, right? Right?!

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I can't speak for TKOU but from my personal perspective, a Discord is kind of like a subreddit in that if you have a thriving community for your game these days, a server WILL pop up. And it's better for the developer to get ahead of that and set up and moderate that server than to leave it entirely to the community, where it can get cliquier and more toxic than otherwise. I hope TKOU will continue to interact with the community via the forums, but it makes sense to me that they might want to set up their own official CH Discord server to catch the portion of the playerbase (and perhaps larger yet portion of a hypothetical future expanded playerbase) that leans to using Discord.

16. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Things've been silent for awhile. I even started wondering if discussion moved to Discord when I wasn't looking (and don't super feel like going to, but I probably will break down and crack out ye olde chat software).

Anyway, was just thinking, one place the Knights can look for LOTS of feedback and suggestions that most likely are just getting repeated in this thread anyway is the Feedback & Suggestions subforum. $¦^ b (Not to mention the unfinished Text Bugs thread in the Bugs subforum. I still say fixing Blind Rage is totally doable; action space for Trait Attachment with Duration, reaction space using the "new" keyword (lol) Penetrating; etc.)

Regards and whatnot,

Flaxative and Sir Veza like this.
  17. Sir Civil

Sir Civil Administrator Staff Member

Discord isn't up yet :< (but should be quite soon). And yes, you can use the forums for feedback and suggestion, we are reading everything. Go ahead, let your imagination go ;)

Flaxative, Sir Veza and fatcat__25 like this.
  18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

One thing I've noticed among Steam users (now that I am one) is the impossibility of completing the Uncommon collectors badge. I believe this is a result of Electroporter Novice being nerfed from uncommon to common after the Steam launch. I know it's a minor thing, but I like getting things squared away. (Retired senior NCO, and all that.)

19. Blizzrd33

Blizzrd33 Orc Soldier

I've only ever played on Steam and I have that badge. There was a thread about it that I posted in about this, I had the same trouble for quite some time but then I solved it. Can't remember exactly how it worked but I definitely have that badge now.

20. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

@Blizzrd33: Possibly an Uncommon holiday item accidentally filled the gap?