Passing the Baton

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Because there are games like Legends of Runeterra out there? :-P

I just logged in to Card Hunter and checked my stuff... fun times with Robot Dwarf Wizards. =)

Auburn, Vakaz and Sir Veza like this.
  2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Hey, I manage an esports team that concentrates on Gwent and Runeterra, so I understand. Just could never get into Runeterra myself, no connection to the lore, so interest died out for me.

Gwent, however, has always been fun to me, there's really nothing quite like it. Also, in my opinion, the most beautiful CCG out there. The art is amazing.

Sir Veza likes this.
  3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Great to see so many other old farts coming out of the woodwork!
    (I'm at my brother-in-law's house, well into my second fifth of Cuervo, and if I hadn't broken a string I'd no ready replacement for, I'd be reading this in another day or two. After all, I have nephews, great nieces and nephews, and random passers-by to be a bad influence upon tomorrow, and enough Cuervo to keep me going. Provided my heart no local authorities are able to contravene.)

GOD BLESS JON, FARBS, AND THE REST OF THE CREW!
    Even if it wasn't a great commercial success, I hope you appreciate the beauty, joy, and inexcusable time-wasting your magnificent creation has provided!

Welcome Knights!
    I'm not sure Unity is permitted during this COVID lunacy, but I ain't saying nothing...

I'll probably need your help getting my accounts transferred to Steam, but I'll probably need to sober up a bit first. Can we shoot for Groundhog Day?

Melancthon, Jon, fatcat__25 and 6 others like this.
  4. Pyrious

Pyrious Hydra

Neat

stupid531 and Sir Veza like this.
  5. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Hey this is awesome! So happy to see this game getting some much-deserved love.

Any idea yet if this is a move towards a reboot of the game, or just expanding it?

Auburn, Abbus, Sir Veza and 2 others like this.
  6. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

Two questions. So, how long have the Knights been playing CH, and what are your screen names [so that we know to report to you guys when we see a rule-breaking user]?

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. Sir Civil

Sir Civil Administrator Staff Member

Bunch of us were playing Card Hunter even back in 2013 and there are still some active Knights in the game. Also, you can find me in the game under the name: Sir_Civil.

8. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

This is very exciting news! Unexpected, but very good! I'm hoping this means more expansions and continuations of the single-player campaign and more items to work with. More Mauve Manticores and Aloyzo's Arsenals would be fun too, but I could understand if the new content goes in a different direction.

So, the question on everybody's minds right now... When are we getting the fabled Jeweler class?!

9. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Nice!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

well i'll be damned i didn't expect to be brought back to Card Hunter in 2020

nor that it'd have more than 1,5 dev, no offense flax and jon you were great and much love, hope to see you hanging around still

Lord Feleran, Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  11. PapunJazz

PapunJazz Kobold

Супер новость !!!:):):)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  12. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

I'm happy that the game/IP has a future, but one of the principle reasons I never bought the last set of adventures was that I was a bit tired that development seemed to be focused solely on and for the expert players. The people who knew all the detailed interactions between cards and were looking purely for a test of that skill and knowledge. That was fine, but I rather felt it meant that the game was chasing after a smaller and smaller market. I wanted something that offered a more casual, relaxed experience, with the possibility (such as via the quests) to offer a more hardcore experience, but I felt like that was less and less the focus of the dev team.

I enjoyed much of my time playing the game, and don't regret the money I spent, but I never did complete all the dungeons I paid for simply because the difficulty of those dungeons was too high for the time I had available to "git gud". I have other things to do, and other games to play which I felt respected my time and effort more.

So, my question, such as it is, is to ask whether the future direction of development will continue along the previous lines of aiming to cater to the tastes of the highly-competent players, or open the game up to a wider audience, thus dumbing-down the experience at least somewhat?

13. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

That's a really good point, I think it's pretty fair to say that CH appeals to a certain type of gamer - I certainly had to grind my way through a few points in the campaign. Having said that, once you've mastered those once most of them become much easier, although some do rely on players having access to certain items/cards. In terms of multiplayer I feel bad for new players now. I only play league but it's brutal right now, the average quality of opposing players has never been higher.

On the flip side, much of that info for equipping for campaign/MP is available on the forums. But the information is scattered and sometimes poorly organised so that's off-putting to newer players who want a more casual experience as well.

There is potential scope to take the game as we know it in some interesting directions. One could be making part of it more newbie friendly. Another could be encouraging more player-constructed content - Flax did a great job with this for a number of years and it added so much to the flavour of the game. If you look at Mauve Manticore 19.3 (Trapped in the Tomb), youthpastor kinda turned CH from a tactical RPG into a tactical wargame.

14. Stexe

I was in a similar boat, although it wasn't the detailed interactions and test of skill / knowledge. It was more relying on getting lucky. Lots of the later cards were super random and over the top if you got lucky. Just felt like a crap shoot for both SP scenarios and especially MP.

Abbus and Sir Veza like this.
  15. Based on Jon's statement from Sep 23rd I was really hoping to see some development after all those months of stagnation. Honestly, I wasn't expecting this, but if the devs are happy with this decision, so am I. I'm only around for a few years now, but I had an awesome time with this game and its community. And therefore, all the best to the (old) devs and their new projects. Void Bastards wasn't exactly my genre, but never say never regarding new creations, perhaps we will see each other again.

Besides what Haiku7 has already asked - that will highly influence whether or not I will also enjoy this game in the future - let me add one more question:
    Question (3): Will the game stay as open towards community-creations like the Card Hunter Utils and the Card Hunter Battle Replayer (should PKB ever finish his work) [EDIT: And I totally forgot the Card Hunter Meta ;) ] or similar efforts? In case there will be a Unity-based web-version of this game somewhere in the future, I will definitely come back and might also pick up my work with the utils.

@Happenstance : Possible, that MP got harder recently just because the active player base decreased and the players left were the more experienced and hence better ones (I'm no real MP player, can't add any own experience here)? Then, any effort by the new devs to improve the game will likely increase the player base again and therefore bring down the level of MP matches. But nonetheless, I would also really like to see new Campaign and/or community-created content.

16. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I would agree with this. I couldn't really get back into multiplayer after the Mitternacht expansion. There was some great new designs and items in it, but wasn't a fan of the form cards in particular. Having effects that overwrite your deckbuilding decisions felt like it should have been a singleplayer monster instead of a multiplayer thing.

In terms of singleplayer, I still think the best way to expand singleplayer would be some sort of roguelike mode where you have to play through multiple adventures limited to the gear you find along the way.

Lord Feleran, Auburn, Abbus and 3 others like this.
  17. Stexe

There's tons of ways to make singleplayer more interesting. Rogue-like would be one, but there's a lot of possibilities. Would love to see more co-op stuff explored too.

As for MP, it would require a lot of tweaking since Mitternacht felt so far removed from good MP design. Was just frustrating to deal with that at a high level.

Lord Feleran and Sir Veza like this.
  18. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

Weird. Almost everyone's talking about SP expansions and MP balance.

Does anyone remember how CH was supposed to originally go on to be Level 50? Does anyone but me notice the extremely large swathes of nothing on the Campaign map? Does anyone but me want actual main campaign loose ends to be tied up [What human was helping Zaius and the Monkeys? Where are the other Demon Portals? What EXACTLY is the Abysm? Where is Greenfang's Challenge? Where is the ACTUAL Cardstock 2?] and resolved? Does anyone want to see what a main campaign BEYOND Level 17 would look like in CH?

Anyone besides me? At all?

Auburn, ParodyKnaveBob, Reint and 5 others like this.
  19. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

2020 is saved

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Vakaz like this.
  20. Stexe

I remember some of that in the design notes, but kind of glad it didn't have that level of power creep. Not sure I'd want to see it scale that much though. Would be nice to have more of the story wrapped up though.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.