IMPORTANT: Card Hunter web client not accessible in 2021

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

As you have probably heard, all major browsers will cease support for Flash at the end of 2020. Unfortunately, as a result, we won't be able to continue to support Card Hunter played through the web client. If you currently access Card Hunter through a browser, you won't be able to continue to do so in 2021.

Our sincere apologies to anyone who who will be affected by this change, but things are out of our hands as the browser makers have decided that they no longer wish to support Flash.

Steam access to Card Hunter will be unaffected by this change. If you want to keep playing and you don't have the Steam client, you can easily obtain it here (for free). You can login using any existing Card Hunter accounts and your progress/collection/etc will be unaffected.

In order to prepare for the pending discontinuation of web access, we will no longer be selling any pizza or bundles through the web client as of October 1st 2020. You will still be able to purchase these items through the Steam client using Steam Wallet but direct Paypal purchases (in the web client) will no longer be directly supported.

Once again, we're very sorry that this change is happening. If you have any concerns or issues with any of this, ask in this thread or contact us via support@cardhunter.com.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Good to know CH will survive via Steam. Ty, Jon.

SceoMyntan, Sir Veza and fatcat__25 like this.
  3. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Card Hunter is dead, long live Card Hunter!

4. Hey,

good to know that you have a plan for this event, not so good (at least for me), that this will force all remaining players to use Steam.

One small question as you weren't particularly clear about this: Will it be impossible to play via web because all (major) browsers stop supporting flash by this time, or will you be actively preventing web-access by shutting down game.cardhunter.com?

I won't promote forks of browsers here because if you choose to use a fork - instead of the original - you have to know that there might be some security concerns with them as they typically don't have a large developer base, so everyone should make this decision based on facts and their own readiness to assume risks. But there are browsers that won't prevent their users from using flash if they decide to go down this path even in 2021 and possibly way beyond. And there is always the option to use an old(er) version of any major browser that still supported flash (no general recommendation here, either, as this will have even more security implications).

So, if I find a way to run flash in 2021, will I have access to Card Hunter? And as we've seen you around in the Cardhunter Survival thread: Any motivations in the dev team to let the community compile an alternative (e.g. HTML5 or Unity) web client?

Edit: As I just mentioned in another thread discussing the future of Card Hunter, any of these risky ways should preferably done in a (Linux) VM.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  5. EDIT 2: Don't know anymore, who mentioned this, but this post was an answer to a comment pointing to this forum guide about a stand alone flash app:
    http://forums.cardhunter.com/thread...andalone-desktop-application.5962/#post-64710
    Unfortunately, this comment was deleted in the meantime. But I feel that this is necessary context for this post, so here you go.

Besides the fact that the last posts in this thread suggest that this method STILL IS broken (edit: I just tested it I haven't tested it yet, though), this will most likely not solve the core problem, if Jon et al. decide to close web-based access because the stand-alone flash player looks to me much like a light-weight browser with the sole purpose to access flash content (or at least, I imagine it to behave much like this).

If I knew that Steam was using the same API and access-points that the browsers have to use, I'd be pretty confident, that Jon's statement only refers to the fact that major browsers won't suffice in 2021.

The other problem is, that if the devs have to change the game client for whatever reason, they might only update the Flash Air variant (given the info in the other threat was right than this is the version that Steam uses) after end of year, so even the stand-alone app won't be able to fetch a recent client and perhaps refuse the connection to the server (or the server might refuse the client version, more likely).

But thanks, nonetheless, I will look into this desktop app to see what the security implications are. This will still be a unmaintained flash plugin after all. ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    gurjanigurjani likes this.
  6. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

Jon,

Thank you for posting the announcement to let people know that they can keep Cardhunter alive via Steam.

Although most people know what Steam is, some non-Steam users may not, so I wanted to suggest that you not only mention "Steam" where all web-users will see it, but Steam's URL "steampowered.com" to make sure that "old school" users can find it easily and unambiguiusly enough. :)

With the prevolence of malware, it's also good to help people feel 100% sure they are going to correct site, since they might not want to go through the "risk" of giving out their personal information while signing up otherwise.

Thanks for so many years of keeping this game alive.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Jon, Sir Veza, fatcat__25 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jon

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. It's possible that we will leave the Flash web client up for a while past the browser shut down date but I don't think we'll officially support trying to access it in any way and you shouldn't rely on that as a way of continuing to play the game. We're also not planning to distribute an AIR application through any other means than Steam. For us to do so, we'd have to properly manage distributing/updating versions and so on as well as updating our build process and so on. Doing so is just beyond our capacity these days.

The only officially supported way of playing the game will be via the Steam client.

Sir Veza likes this.
  8. Jon

Also: a reminder that Paypal purchases will be deprecated as of next week (October 1).

9. Jon

And another note: we are actively looking into some options for better supporting (and maybe even growing) the game going forward. I don't have anything concrete to say yet but it's something that's on our mind.

Gento, Kornl, Testlum and 11 others like this.
  10. That is fantastic news. This game is a treasure. Any chance we might get a belated birthday party/going away (from Flash) party? I am partying like it's 1999 already (hoping that Cardhuntria will die in 2020 in much the same way as our poor Earth perished in 2000).

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I partied like it was 1969 in 1969, and still am. (Big Shout-Out to Liver Donors Inc.!)
    I have scant recollection of 1999, which is probably best for myself, whomever I was partying with, and whatever legal issues might call for a polygraph.
    I shall again thank @Jon and all others associated with creating this beautiful game upon which I have squandered so many hours of my remaining years.
    Gotta pass 'em somehow, and women my age aren't quite as attractive since my cataract surgery.
    God Luv Ya!

12. Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin Mushroom Warrior

no other card game i've seen is anything like cardhunter

- armor in the form of cards
    - utilizing character positioning to out maneuver opponents (yes some games do exist where you can move around, but not in the manner of CH which i'm sure what most of us here like)
    - campaign mode with a funny story
    - multiplayer (this is the end game content, probly the most fun after you finished with campaign. replayable)

hopefully there is a ch2 :{ post flash.

13. I'm not really sure how this would work but could you give some privileges to players. By privileges, I mean Changing and adding things to the game. I think that many players would if it means the game continues on. Thanks jon

14. Gast86

Gast86 Ogre

There is a map editor Sir Cherry Bomb. And if you let people change things, one would remove Vengeance, while another would add more acid, depending on their playstyle. There used to be Aloyzo's Artifacts and Mauve Manticores added every now and then, but I supposee those are too time-consuming for BlueManchu nowadays. I understand why they would be reluctant to pass the wand. Since everybody thinks they know what's best for CH. But looking at some of the discussions on this forum (or in world chat) nobody agrees all the time.. CH is not a democracy, but choosing a new dictator would be hard I suppose.

Kornl, fatcat__25 and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  15. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I could finally remove Shades from the game. Not to toss any shade. Except at Shades. They deserve all the shade they get.

Pawndawan likes this.
  16. Jon

I'm bumping this thread as a reminder that Flash deprecation is now under a month away!

Reint and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  17. Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin Mushroom Warrior

Ian, Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  18. cynthih

cynthih Kobold

July 2021, and the flash version on game.cardhunter.com has been updated with new content and is still alive. :) :D :)

Sir Veza likes this.
  19. battlezoby

battlezoby Ogre

The whole flash-shutoff thing was hogwash for gullable children who give their money to Steam, Microsoft, and Apple.
    Even Kongregate is doing fine, except that they lost Cardhunter, their #1 Cardgame.

It's also a matter of Internet Security. Flash is less popular, so it's not as useful for taking over your computer,
    and listening to your household, peeking in with your camera, pulling non-politically correct messages from
    email box, et cetera. Most people prefer to left Steam, Microsoft, and Apple to push unknown updates and
    take over their machines whenever they want to.